Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:30 PM

244 posts, read 643,941 times

Advertisements

Ok, give it to me straight, ya'll.

I know everyone is white in WA state. I'm white, too, so whatever.

But is the majority very Republican/Sarah Palin/Joe Six Pack leaning?

Is most everyone Christian?

What are folks like? I realize I'm asking for stereotypes and generalizations..

I'm from New England originally but I need a Jewish population and at least some political independents...otherwise without a good bagel, some lox and someone else who doesn't despise Clinton I'll feel like a fish outta water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 21,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post

I'm from New England originally but I need a Jewish population and at least some political independents...otherwise without a good bagel, some lox and someone else who doesn't despise Clinton I'll feel like a fish outta water.

Wow, I must have bad vision then. Because i've seen blacks,asians..etc during my time here.

And in all honesty I havent had ANYONE bring up politics to me during my year here. Out of all of the other places in the states I've lived I would have to say that Spokane is the most laid back about their politics.

In my experience the people are very laid back and nice. Very much a "Dont mess with me, I wont mess with you" type of vibe.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:10 PM

1,010 posts, read 4,910,991 times
I"m not Jewish but I grew up in CT so I like my bagels and lox too - I get them at Costco here
Backtothe middle nailed it pretty well -- if you want to talk politics, you'll find someone to talk with but otherwise people are pretty much live and let live. And you'll find that not everyone is white either -- majority, yes, but not everyone.

Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 PM

68 posts, read 211,085 times
Yes, it is definitely laid back. I know there is a synagogue here, and i know members of at least 2 Jewish families. The area leans right, but in a Libertarian way and only slightly, and I know many people of most all political persuasions and races here. Take any "Spokane is intolerant" advice with a grain of salt - in fact, I have lived in Seattle as well and find Spokane a bit more tolerant on the whole, although perhaps more xenophobic and less gay friendly if that matters to yoy. Just my 2 cents...

Old 09-20-2010, 12:12 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,930,240 times
WA isn't as "white" as you think. Spokane is very white, but there are plenty of non-whites there.

Spokane doesn't seem too political (can't say the same for ID, where it seems like a certain persuasion needs to be worn on the sleeve ). The city itself is and feels liberal, the suburbs/rural areas more conservative.

IMO the people of Spokane are awesome.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM

968 posts, read 2,062,065 times
Spokane is very homogenous, but the diversity has actually improved over the past two decades. Spokane is lightly blue city, in a deeply red county, in a moderately blue state. Surprisingly, the 3rd legislative district which is most of North Spokane is the most democratic district in the state, even more so than those in Seattle. The 6th which is the Spokane South Hill and northern suburbs has been red for over 50 years but swung blue 4 years ago, although may swing back to red this Fall.

There is one established synogogue, Temple Beth Shalom which is mostly conservative on the Spokane South Hill. There is at least one, possibly two smaller reformed congregations.

Good luck to you, I notice that youre looking at Las Vegas as well.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:15 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post

I've lived in Spokane for a long time but I am white and agnostic so I cannot help you with the Jewish part. I would assume that the Jewish population is pretty small. Politics seem to be a good mix we have liberal and conservative here. As per most places it depends on who is in power and who complains the loudest.

Do you want to live with other white people or do you want to live with black people? I never understand what people who want diversity mean. On one hand it sounds like you prefer people who do not look like you, but think like you? Or do you prefer people who think different from you and look like you?

Sometimes I think the quest for diversity should be a quest for diversity of thought.

We live on the north side. We have a number of black and Hispanic kids in our local school and my son's football team has a 4 black kids.

This is a good place to raise kids, enjoy the great outdoors, and experience the 4 seasons. The job market is crappy, the diversity is not like big cities- all of us racist white people apologize in advance for that-

There are people in Spokane who love it and there are people that despise it. My guess is it has a lot more to do with the person than it does with the city.

Good luck to you.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:26 PM

33 posts, read 128,546 times
Quote:
There are people in Spokane who love it and there are people that despise it. My guess is it has a lot more to do with the person than it does with the city.

This about somes it up. We moved to Spokane about six months ago, from the Seattle area, & we love it. It's definately slower paced, & the roads seem almost empty most of the time by comparison. I used to live three miles from my workplace in Everett, WA & it took me 10-15 minutes to get there, I now live fourteen miles away & it takes 20 minutes!
Haven't run into any outspoken political opinions, of either leaning, since I've been here. Population is definately not as diverse as Seattle, but it's certainly not unusual to see racial minorities out & about & we have a good cross-section at work.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Swigchow,

I'm tinkering with the idea of LOTS of different parts of the country. I'm suddenly feeling the urge to travel and experience various parts of the good ole USA.

My Father lives here in Santa Fe, NM, where I am now.
My Mother lives just outside Asheville, NC
I have a favorite Aunt/Uncle and a few cousins in the Seattle area.

I'm interested in all different parts of the country so at the moment I'm considering many, many options.

A friend of mine from college was from Spokane and always spoke highly of the area.

I have feelers out in Las Vegas (but kind of doubt I'd do that) also Savannah, GA, and Atlanta, GA. Tinkering with Western/mountains of NC/SC and maybe, just might consider parts of Florida.

I know this is all over the map (literally)
ANY OPINIONS or SUGGESTIONS for me?
I'm open to it

Old 09-20-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
I've lived in Spokane for a long time but I am white and agnostic so I cannot help you with the Jewish part. I would assume that the Jewish population is pretty small. Politics seem to be a good mix we have liberal and conservative here. As per most places it depends on who is in power and who complains the loudest.

Do you want to live with other white people or do you want to live with black people? I never understand what people who want diversity mean. On one hand it sounds like you prefer people who do not look like you, but think like you? Or do you prefer people who think different from you and look like you?

Sometimes I think the quest for diversity should be a quest for diversity of thought.

We live on the north side. We have a number of black and Hispanic kids in our local school and my son's football team has a 4 black kids.

This is a good place to raise kids, enjoy the great outdoors, and experience the 4 seasons. The job market is crappy, the diversity is not like big cities- all of us racist white people apologize in advance for that-

Good luck to you.
Hmmm, to answer your question about diversity...
the reason diversity is important to me is because I tend to feel suffocated by one voice/one type of thinking if I'm in a neighborhood that's all the same. EVEN if the neighborhood all reflected my very own beliefs I would grow tired of that. I have always traveled a great deal, both inside and outside the US and I cherish the things I've learned by understanding other cultures.
I'm white and I do not want to live in a predominantly black or mexican neighborhood but I would like there to be other viewpoints in the city I reside. I'm only barely Jewish, mostly by birth, I'm not religious, I just mention that because it feels a little scary to live somewhere that's entirely christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area