Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 PM

237 posts, read 410,983 times

Advertisements

I'm seeing this term... "Spokompton" in places...

A quick look at Spokane and communities in the area (Spokane Valley, Post Falls, CDA) doesn't seem to show demographic numbers that would support that name.

Is it just some local thing, or is there really an inner city or ghetto area there somewhere that I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 02:23 AM

7 posts, read 16,974 times
****** tweektown would be a better moniker

Old 04-16-2019, 03:17 AM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
I'm seeing this term... "Spokompton" in places...

A quick look at Spokane and communities in the area (Spokane Valley, Post Falls, CDA) doesn't seem to show demographic numbers that would support that name.

Is it just some local thing, or is there really an inner city or ghetto area there somewhere that I'm missing?
I've heard this term for years and I laugh when I hear it, no Spokane is not Compton....I just checked the murder rates between Spokane and Compton over the past 5 years and Compton has 5 times the murders per capita than Spokane. Spokane does have a bad meth problem and there is a serious theft and other crimes issue related to these people.

Spokane Valley, Post Falls, CDA are all low crime areas.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:17 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Spokane is a large enough city to have low income areas. Low income areas tend to all come with the same sort of social problems.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:33 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
In my experience, the only people who call Spokane things like Spokompton are the small town yokels who’ve never actually BEEN to other cities. Otherwise, they’d be aware that ALL cities, as Oregon woodsmoke said, have low income/higher crime areas.
I live in a beautiful part of Spokane with lovely old homes, towering trees, great schools and gorgeous parks. It’s a city neighborhood though so you lock your doors and don’t leave bikes lying outside.
You want to leave your doors unlocked? Live in the country.

Old 04-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Spokane is a large enough city to have low income areas. Low income areas tend to all come with the same sort of social problems.
Do the low income areas of Spokane tend to be African- American, or is it more of the white meth head thing?

I was reading this morning there's an "MLK" center somewhere in the area?

Old 04-16-2019, 10:47 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching-01 View Post
Do the low income areas of Spokane tend to be African- American, or is it more of the white meth head thing?

I was reading this morning there's an "MLK" center somewhere in the area?
Unsure why it matters but yes, we have an MLK center. It was almost bombed a few years back by a white supremacist type. Which is unusual for here. The crime and low income areas are mostly white.
Spokane is not the most diverse of cities. Though we do have an unusually high Russian/Ukrainian population. Not sure why tough.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:40 PM

162 posts, read 204,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Unsure why it matters but yes, we have an MLK center. It was almost bombed Though we do have an unusually high Russian/Ukrainian population. Not sure why tough.
Spokane is a refugee resettlement center with similar climate to Russia/Ukraine. Plus a lot of them are Christians and evangelicals and they find a lot of support for their faith here.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Unsure why it matters but yes, we have an MLK center. It was almost bombed a few years back by a white supremacist type. Which is unusual for here. The crime and low income areas are mostly white.
Spokane is not the most diverse of cities. Though we do have an unusually high Russian/Ukrainian population. Not sure why tough.

Just curious. Tweakers and Hoodsters are definitely different in character. But MLK implies hood, rather than tweakers.

I keep reading of the PacNW having a huge tweaker problem. That's scary, because, seems to me tweakers can be really irrational when they are on the stuff. Not sure what they are like off the stuff.

That said, someone above mentioned Spokane is a refugee resettlement place. Didn't know that.

If Twin Cities is any indication, the Somali resettlement program there hasn't been a good thing for the area by many accounts. The problems have made the news on occasion.

Never heard anything about Spokane.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:11 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,269,468 times
Quote:
In my experience, the only people who call Spokane things like Spokompton are the small town yokels who’ve never actually BEEN to other cities. Otherwise, they’d be aware that ALL cities, as Oregon woodsmoke said, have low income/higher crime areas.
I live in a beautiful part of Spokane with lovely old homes, towering trees, great schools and gorgeous parks. It’s a city neighborhood though so you lock your doors and don’t leave bikes lying outside.
You want to leave your doors unlocked? Live in the country.
I disagree. It seems to me that most people who call Spokane dumb things like "Spokompton" are condescending idiots from places like Seattle, who look down on Spokane because it's too blue-collar/working-class for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area