Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:00 AM

265 posts, read 964,574 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Raelyn. They're scoping out rental homes now and have found one in Spokane Valley that looks promising. Is that a nice area?

It looks like many places won't accept pets. They have a cat who is an official member of the family, so their options are going to be somewhat limited, but I'm sure they'll find something. Hopefully within the next few years, they'll have enough saved to make a down payment on a house (if the banks start lending again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 06:43 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,150,500 times
I love Spokane, don't get me wrong, but there are some responses on this forum that I think are a little too rosey for the purpose of advice. While no area of Spokane is going to be as bad as the worse off areas of Cincinnati, I would avoid certain parts of town because they are dumpy, unattractive, and have more crime than others.
The parts of Spokane that are nice are South Hill, Shadle Park, Five Mile, Mead, Argonne Hill/Upriver, most of Spokane Valley, Garland, Audubon Park, etc.

The areas I would avoid are off of Sprague and Trent just east of downtown, parts of West Central, and Hillyard.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:25 AM

Thanks very much for the information, Wilshire. I will pass it along so he'll know when he meets with realtors/leasing agents. He'll be headed out your way on October 11th to work for a couple of weeks and look for a place to live, then back home for a couple of weeks, then back out to Spokane with his wife. The company is going to be moving his furnishings and their cars.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:48 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,150,121 times
Don't forget to mention Colbert as being a nice area because it is basically connected to North Spokane and still within 15-20 minutes of the downtown area. There are some lovely homes there and it is still in the Mead School District. I wasn't ever aware of the bad areas except for maybe the area around the mall perhaps??? It never seemed to me like Spokane had many problems at least compared to alot of other cities that I have lived in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I love Spokane, don't get me wrong, but there are some responses on this forum that I think are a little too rosey for the purpose of advice. While no area of Spokane is going to be as bad as the worse off areas of Cincinnati, I would avoid certain parts of town because they are dumpy, unattractive, and have more crime than others.
The parts of Spokane that are nice are South Hill, Shadle Park, Five Mile, Mead, Argonne Hill/Upriver, most of Spokane Valley, Garland, Audubon Park, etc.

The areas I would avoid are off of Sprague and Trent just east of downtown, parts of West Central, and Hillyard.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:52 PM

Lucky for him!! We just did the exact same thing and moved away.. We do have a home in Colbert that is on the market. It may take time to get into it because it is a short-sale but let me know if he finds he likes that area. It's in North Spokane just a few minutes outside of town. I liked it there. It had a nice country feel but was close to the city and in a nice school district (Mead). Be happy for them. I am sure they will love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma(in waiting) View Post
Thanks very much for the information, Wilshire. I will pass it along so he'll know when he meets with realtors/leasing agents. He'll be headed out your way on October 11th to work for a couple of weeks and look for a place to live, then back home for a couple of weeks, then back out to Spokane with his wife. The company is going to be moving his furnishings and their cars.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Thanks so much, Raelyn. Everyone has been just great on this forum and if that's any indication of how the people are in Spokane, I'm sure they're going to love it.

I am happy for them. This is a good career move for my son. It's just selfishness rearing its head because they're going to be so far away.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:50 PM

I completely understand. Someday very soon I will be in your shoes and I am not looking forward to it. My kids have been the greatest blessing in my life... Out of all the struggles and the negatives I can think about my kids and smile Just like Tinkerbell said in the movie "Hook". They are my happy thought. They will probably miss you as well.... But you never know.. This may be the opportunity for you to eventually be able to join them in the beautiful state of Washington. Just be thankful that they aren't going to LA or Compton.

Quote:
Thanks so much, Raelyn. Everyone has been just great on this forum and if that's any indication of how the people are in Spokane, I'm sure they're going to love it.

I am happy for them. This is a good career move for my son. It's just selfishness rearing its head because they're going to be so far away.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Please work with a nervous mom.

My son and his wife (and my first grandchild to be) are going to be moving to Spokane in the near future due to a job transfer. We live in Indiana, in a very small town (pop. 5000) where he was born and raised. He has been living in Cincinnati for the past year.

How is the cost of living? Crime? Good areas to live? Schools? I've looked through a few of the other threads here and was kind of by some of the posts. Keep in mind, cultural mecca when coming from the midwest means nothing. All I'm concerned about is whether or not he and his family will be safe and be able to maintain a comfortable standard of living. He had a choice of either Stockton, CA or Spokane and chose Spokane (thankfully...I've heard Stockton isn't safe and the cost of living is sky high).

Any information you could give me would be very gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
SPOKANE is about 10000000 times safer than Cincinnati. No comparison really.

Stockton however...that town IS the pits...but him going to Spokane, if there is a safer city in the Western Hemisphere, I don't know where it would be.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:15 PM

good post!!! I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
SPOKANE is about 10000000 times safer than Cincinnati. No comparison really.

Stockton however...that town IS the pits...but him going to Spokane, if there is a safer city in the Western Hemisphere, I don't know where it would be.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM

Thanks again, Raelyn. You're a jewel and you've really helped set my mind at ease. Thanks also, Tiger Beer. It's good to know that the kids are going to be safe and my grandchild to be will be raised in a lovely and friendly town. It's a boy, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area