Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 09:54 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
There are many, many people in Seattle that have never been east of the Cascade crest. Totally clueless and happy in their grey world.

My daughter now lives in Seattle and kept her 509 phone number.

She cannot believe how many people ask her after she gives them her phone number. "Oh, what state are you from??"
Wow...just...that's...wow.

My sister ( a fellow east-side native) now lives in Maryville has been asked some remarkably ignorant questions about growing up on the east side.

Her favorite was "Weren't you scared of all the white supremacists?" She told them "Yes. It was awful, they were everywhere. That's why I moved here."

Trouble with that answer is that now there are probably several people (you know the person she told passed her answer on) saying that things are so bad eastside that people have had to move to get away from all the violence. You know a person that would ask that is probably not likely to pick up on straight-faced sarcasm/feigned sincerity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 AM

11 posts, read 36,337 times
I, like David, am living in Denver and I would say, while Denver is nice in a lot of ways, it, like Seattle or Portland, is much bigger so can't really be compared. My first impression of Spokane was that there were some good things and some bad things, but, that can be said about everywhere. I would compare it more with someplace like Pueblo,CO. It is smaller and has a strong community feel, yet it has it's negatives, too. unemployment, depressed areas, etc. And like Spokane, the downtown is very inviting. My one night in Spokane a few years ago hooked me enough to want to at least come back and check it out further. I hope to do that this spring. David, I'd love to get together and chat about your experience there sometime. As far as weather, Denver has had more snow and colder temps this year than Spokane. And Denver is usually regarded as a desirable place because of its weather! I personally think Spokane's "reputation" will keep it from growing too fast like Denver or Seattle. That seems like a plus to me.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:19 PM

394 posts, read 1,007,215 times
spokane does get a bad rap and yes it is undeserved. i lived there for 7 years in the mid and late 90s and basically loved it. my only complaints would have been;

1] the freezing cold winters
2] the feeling of isolation, but that's probably because i'm from the seattle and san francisco areas. people from the east coast would probably feel isolated on the west coast, even the bigger cities so it's all relative.

things to love about the spokane area?

probably too many to list, not the the least of which would be the proximity to northern idaho.

i would strongly consider moving back there, but i started a business here 3 years ago and would not want to start over again in another area.

conclusion; i would recommend spokane to anyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Spokane area