Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,968,935 times

Advertisements

About sports. Now, I'm only 26 but I'm at that age now where rookies are younger than me which feels odd. I use to do fantasy sports but it's been over five years since that. The only thing I really watch now is the NBA and that's mainly because I have a $400 wager the Clippers will end the season with a better record than the Lakers. I use to watch the NFL all the time but this year I only watched the Superbowl, Bears/Broncos 4th quarter/OT, and half of the Giants/Packers game. I was pretty bored with the Superbowl til the 4th too.

When people ask, "who do you think is gonna win Friday?" I use to know what they were talking about ASAP. Now, I really have to think about it and I'm about to get to the "what game?" area.

This it odd my sports interest is at an all time low? I'm definitely in the best shape of my life so maybe I rather do it than watch it?

I'm getting to the point where I rather go to church than watch football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,039,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
About sports. Now, I'm only 26 but I'm at that age now where rookies are younger than me which feels odd. I use to do fantasy sports but it's been over five years since that. The only thing I really watch now is the NBA and that's mainly because I have a $400 wager the Clippers will end the season with a better record than the Lakers. I use to watch the NFL all the time but this year I only watched the Superbowl, Bears/Broncos 4th quarter/OT, and half of the Giants/Packers game. I was pretty bored with the Superbowl til the 4th too.

When people ask, "who do you think is gonna win Friday?" I use to know what they were talking about ASAP. Now, I really have to think about it and I'm about to get to the "what game?" area.

This it odd my sports interest is at an all time low? I'm definitely in the best shape of my life so maybe I rather do it than watch it?

this malady is common but seems to be hitting you a bit early. Next thing you will notice will be hair growing out of parts of your body that will seem a bit un-natural to you.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,011 times
Quote:

It's okay. You realize what's very significant in your life, and it's NOT sports.

Yes, it's best to do sports than watch it.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,947 times
Quote:

I think this is normal, all be it a little later for most. I know since I've been married my sports watching has went down, and once the kiddos come, I'm guessing it will fall further. However, I still bond with my dad ( he's 56) over watching sport and I hope I can share that with my potential kids as I age.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:59 PM

166 posts, read 346,928 times
Americans, on average, are irrationally/un-naturally/unhealthily obsessed with sports. It's disturbing how much TV news air time is spent on sports, rather than on things/events that matters, such as the economy, wars, local businesses, etc.

I understand that sports is like a hobby, but "I am a fan of the Giants" and acting like a foold watching a game, and dissapointed like your first born was hit by a car when "your team" loses is just pathetic. How come there not more balance. How come there is not more interest in arts and hobbies that mattered 100 years ago, like painting, performances, etc. (I am not even a fan of those much, but I am suggesting it to balance that obessession with sports, especially football).

Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
Americans, on average, are irrationally/un-naturally/unhealthily obsessed with sports. It's disturbing how much TV news air time is spent on sports, rather than on things/events that matters, such as the economy, wars, local businesses, etc.

I understand that sports is like a hobby, but "I am a fan of the Giants" and acting like a foold watching a game, and dissapointed like your first born was hit by a car when "your team" loses is just pathetic. How come there not more balance. How come there is not more interest in arts and hobbies that mattered 100 years ago, like painting, performances, etc. (I am not even a fan of those much, but I am suggesting it to balance that obessession with sports, especially football).
I don't agree with any of this. The local network news might spend 45-60 seconds on the days sports action, maybe. And that is in Chicago, what is considered a sports crazed city. Now there are networks completely devoted to sports, but all one has to do is not watch it. If you want to complain about the news, you should complain about the celebrity gossip crap which takes up more time on actual news channels (CNN, Fox, MSNBC etc) than sports do by far.

I know a lot of die hard sports fans, I don't know any that put it on the same importance of their families well being.

The decline of some of the fine arts (painting etc) is not the sports worlds fault. There are many other factors that have went into this. Bringing that up while complaining about peoples passion for sports is misleading at best, and completely disingenuous at worst.

I like to watch sports so what? I work all day, if I want to come home, have a beer and watch the Bulls crush an opponent I'm not hurting anyone.

Are sports very popular in American culture? Yes, and its an economic driver for many areas and a harmless activity for most people to partake in or watch. Are there some idiots that take it too far? Of course, but I would say that is not uniquely American.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I like to watch sports so what? I work all day, if I want to come home, have a beer and watch the Bulls crush an opponent I'm not hurting anyone.
Why don't you diversify your interest, and in things that are valued internationally?

Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Quote:

I think its very cool that you aren't acting like sports is your religion- I know most of the men where I am make sports thier only interest.

So its definitely something that is nice to hear- there is more to life than watching a bunch of overpaid athletes run around chasing balls

Old 02-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
I think its very cool that you aren't acting like sports is your religion- I know most of the men where I am make sports thier only interest.

So its definitely something that is nice to hear- there is more to life than watching a bunch of overpaid athletes run around chasing balls
That's like saying having hamburgers for lunch is VERY Cool. Com'on! Can't you have higher expectations?

Old 02-09-2012, 07:08 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,174,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
That's like saying having hamburgers for lunch is VERY Cool. Com'on! Can't you have higher expectations?
Dude, wtf are you talking about? Are you posting stupid comebacks trying to get a rise out of people?? Seriously if ya' don't like what I said to the OP.....then just keep on goin'

And higher expectations.....
For a new member, you really wanna start off on a negative note, ay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports