Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2012, 02:46 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It depends on her confidence, not ours. If she gets good and mad, starts screaming like a panther and slamming 100mph+ volleys over the top of the net there's no answer...

She's got one more left in her.

True... I believe she has 1-3 more majors left. I was specifically speaking of Venus when I said she's done. Not Serena
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 03:07 PM

1,580 posts, read 2,899,663 times
Tennis is less popular b/c:
1. Americans tend to prefer team sports. All of our favorite sports (football, baseball, basketball) are team sports. It may be b/c we like to have one set team we can support for years, instead of having to learn about and pick new players every few years.

2. Americans like to root for Americans, and there are just not many Americans in the top echelon of tennis these days. The men's side is especially bad, with Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic dominating for the last several years. On the women's side, Venus and Serena are both on the downside of their careers.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It depends on her confidence, not ours. If she gets good and mad, starts screaming like a panther and slamming 100mph+ volleys over the top of the net there's no answer...

She's got one more left in her.
That is what makes tennis actually interesting to watch - when players do get angry and show some emotion on the court - and they are usually American players who do it.

I had forgotten about Serena - she has had her moments - and they have defintely been entertaining.

I might even tune in to some minor events before the U.S. Open - just to watch her.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
True... I believe she has 1-3 more majors left. I was specifically speaking of Venus when I said she's done. Not Serena
Yep, Venus is done.

Both the tennis player and the planet have always been overrated.

Sorry Venus - but I like your sister better.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:17 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I think its a couple of things.

A. People have gotten fat and lazy. What did the average person weigh in 1978 or 1980 when tennis was popular? How much do they weigh today? It's massively different.

I think tennis was a fit persons game in the 70's or 80's.

B. Technology and foreign influence. There aren't many americans to root for with backgrounds similar to yours. How many tennis stars today have backgrounds similar to you? Very few, if any.

People could relate to McEnroe or Chris Evert rising to the top.

C. I think there's been kind of a class divide the last 30 years. I think tennis now is kind of perceived as a rich persons sport, or upper class, or upper middle class sport.

How much does it cost to take tennis lessons? How much dedication does it take, commitment? I.e. trips with your parents, etc. I think the game is too tedious for a lot of people now. The payoff isn't there. Or at least that's the perception.

-I bet cable, media, internet has helped the game expand in europe. It's a flatter playing field than in was 30 years ago. They have access to more information. The smart, motivated kids in Slovakia or Russia see tennis on an even playing field now. I think its a new way for them to excel....like how the Soviets use to excel in chess.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 PM

491 posts, read 472,472 times
ppl find it to be too country clubish and elitist....its not a networking/business sport like golf is

plus it isnt a team sport so you're basically following an individual.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
plus it isnt a team sport so you're basically following an individual.
Welcome To WTT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_TeamTennis

Old 07-15-2012, 11:55 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip Mcnealy View Post
ppl find it to be too country clubish and elitist....its not a networking/business sport like golf is

Courts are free to play on, golf courses aren't. I think you've got golf and tennis backwards.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 932 times
In my personal Opinion, people may disagree with me, but i think Americans interests are in teams kind of games, they don't prefer individual player sports and they don't bother to enjoy it though.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:18 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,695,520 times
Why is Tennis NOT Popular in America???

It's popular in my family circle and friends circle too. We all LOVE the "White Sport" and follow most important Open Championships, Of course 2020 it's a weird yr for ALL SPORTS across The Globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports