Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 09:51 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,650,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I'm now in the Houston area and ever since I've been here, it's been "Texans this..." and "Texans that...". They might be winning now, but I'm pretty shure that the Astros were the #1 team in H-town... am I right?

Just to settle an argument.... I wanna post your area's #1 sports team
(Excluding Green Bay, San Antonio, Sacramento, Jacksonville, Portland, Salt Lake City, and the places with no pro sports franchise.)
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong... and chances are I will be since half of these are just assumptions.
  • Atlanta: Falcons (NFL)
  • Baltamore: Ravens (NFL)
  • Boston: Red Sox (MLB)
  • Buffalo: Sabres (NHL)
  • Charlotte: Panthers (NFL)
  • Chicago: Bears (NFL)
  • Cincinatti: Bengals (NFL)
  • Cleveland: Indians (MLB)
  • D/FW: Cowboys (NFL)
  • Denver: Broncos (NFL)
  • Detroit: Pistons (NBA)
  • Houston: Astros (MLB)
  • Indianapolis: Colts (NFL)
  • Kansas City: Chiefs (NFL)
  • Los Angeles: Lakers (NBA)
  • Miami: Dolphins (NFL)
  • Minneapolis/St. Paul: Wild (NHL)
  • New Orleans: Saints (NFL)
  • New Jersey: Devils (NHL)
  • New York: Yankees (MLB)
  • Oakland: A's (MLB)
  • Philadelphia: Eagles (NFL)
  • Pittsburg: Steelers (NFL)
  • San Diego: Chargers (NFL)
  • San Fransico: 49ers (NFL)
  • Seattle: Mariners (MLB)
  • St. Louis: Cardinals (MLB)
  • Toronto: Maple Leafs (NHL)
  • Tampa: Lightning (NHL)
  • Tennessee: Titans (NFL)
  • Washington D.C.: Redskins (NFL)
New Jersey sports fans are very regional. Some are Philadelphia fans, some are Jersey fans and some are New York Fans, then theres me who is just a fan. As a side note: I would like to thank the Giants, Jets and Mets for finally showing up and wining their respective games on Sunday and in following the Yankees lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,730,774 times
Default Milwaukee!!!??

I know Milwaukee seems to often get the shaft in national sports talk, but it is amazing to me that you omitted the Brew City entirely from your list! Surely we aren't the biggest market, but we are bigger than say Buffalo, plus we have two of the three major sports leagues (the MLB's Milwaukee Brewers and the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks), plus essentially we have the NFL's Green Bay Packers (which, in a market that small, obviously relies heavily on Milwaukee's dollars to support them).

As for who Milwaukee's #1 team would be, it easily would be a team that is 2 hours north of Milwaukee - the Packers.

Again this is a weird situation, but Green Bay is a town of 50,000 people...truly, in its most elemental sense, they are the Green Bay - Milwaukee Packers (heck, the Wisconsin Packers is even more accurate).

The Brewers this year have been in a pennant chase most of the year and they are like 12th in the MLB in home attendance (which is amazing considering we are the smallest MLB market) - so the fans here have supported the Brewers in gangbusters - but the TV ratings are amazing...even pre-season Packers games in Milwaukee blow away Brewers' games when they are head-to-head.

Packers are #1, Brewers a solid #2 [but drawing nearly 3-million fans this year shows that Milwaukee is a solid baseball town], Bucks bring up the rear at #3 [but even the Bucks have always been well supported in this town]; overall, Milwaukee is a very good, underrated sports town.

As for your full list, I would ammend it like this:

Atlanta: Braves (MLB) ...not Falcons (NFL)...ATL isn't a great sports town
Baltimore: Orioles (MLB) ...not Ravens (NFL)...although this would be close
Boston: Red Sox (MLB)
Buffalo: Sabres (NHL)
Charlotte: Panthers (NFL)
Chicago: Cubs (MLB) ...not Bears (NFL)...White Sox don't even factor into this
Cincinnati: Bengals (NFL)
Cleveland: Browns (NFL) ...not Indians (MLB)
D/FW: Cowboys (NFL)
Denver: Broncos (NFL)
Detroit: Red Wings (NHL) ...not Pistons (NBA)...although Pistons, Tigers and Lions would all be close...this is a tough one...Detroit is a great sports town
Houston: Astros (MLB)
Indianapolis: Colts (NFL)
Kansas City: Chiefs (NFL)
Los Angeles: Lakers (NBA)
Miami: Dolphins (NFL)
Milwaukee: Packers* (NFL) - *Packers are located in Green Bay, thus, if you want a Milwaukee-specific team only, then Brewers (MLB)
Minneapolis/St. Paul: Wild (NHL)
New Orleans: Saints (NFL)
New Jersey: Devils (NHL)
New York: Knicks (NBA)...although Yankees (MLB) is very debateable, I think the Knicks, especially when good which has been a long time, still rule NY sports
Oakland: Raiders (NFL)...not A's (MLB)...I would say that the Golden State Warriors (NBA) are also more popular than the A's in Oakland
Philadelphia: Eagles (NFL)
Pittsburgh: Steelers (NFL)
San Diego: Chargers (NFL)
San Francisco: 49ers (NFL)
Seattle: Mariners (MLB)
St. Louis: Cardinals (MLB)
Toronto: Maple Leafs (NHL)
Tampa: Lightning (NHL)
Tennessee: Titans (NFL)
Washington D.C.: Redskins (NFL)

Last edited by EnjoyEP; 09-24-2007 at 01:35 PM..

Old 09-24-2007, 01:53 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,492,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
JJG, the Chicago Bears are a very close second to the Chicago Cubs. Half of Chicago would probably be willing to let the Bears move to Los Angeles if it meant the Cubs winning a world series.
LOL

Funny outlook, but untrue. The Bears, as you know, are VERY loved and have a HUGE following.

For the OP: the TB Buccaneers are far more popular than the Lightning, IMO.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,952,066 times
I completely forgot Milwaukee... Maybe I should have just included Wisconsin as a whole, instead. My bad....

Detroit is a great sports town. It is hockeytown.... but it seems like the Pistions are more popular for some reason. But as I said, I could be wrong.

Chicago was a hard guess for me as well. So (truth be told) I just randomly picked the Bears.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:42 PM

262 posts, read 302,205 times
Quote:
n my opinion, Atlanta is just not a good sports town. I've been to at least 10 Braves games and there are always empty seats...and when they play Boston, the Sox fans outnumber Braves fans 2 to 1.
The sox do that almost everywere expect like when there playing New York

Old 09-24-2007, 02:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,730,774 times
Quote:
I completely forgot Milwaukee... Maybe I should have just included Wisconsin as a whole, instead. My bad....
No problem...we Milwaukee sports fans are constantly fighting for respect!

(Do not forget, in addition to the NBA and MLB [and NFL in Green Bay], Milwaukee also houses big time college bball in Marquette University hoops, so this is definitely a pretty substantial sports town!)...

Old 09-24-2007, 04:19 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,492,960 times
Quote:
Detroit is a great sports town. It is hockeytown....
Again I disagree. Detroilet is not Hockeytown. That title should go to Toronto or Montreal before Detroilet.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:49 PM
RDU

40 posts, read 140,714 times
X-greensboro resident- I would agree, but it is more regional.

Here in the Triangle it goes.

1.North Carolina Basketball
2.Duke Basketball
3.N.C State Football
4.Carolina Hurricanes (NHL)
5.N.C State Basketball.

(Duke and North Carolina don't deserve a football shoutout as of the moment)

Old 09-24-2007, 08:22 PM

715 posts, read 1,671,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDU View Post
X-greensboro resident- I would agree, but it is more regional.

Here in the Triangle it goes.

1.North Carolina Basketball
2.Duke Basketball
3.N.C State Football
4.Carolina Hurricanes (NHL)
5.N.C State Basketball.

(Duke and North Carolina don't deserve a football shoutout as of the moment)
neither does NC State football....seeing as how they had lost 9 straight games until they recently beat a 1-AA team...then proceeded to get back to their losing ways the next week.

Tobacco road football sucks....and I'm a season ticket holder at 1 of the schools.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:42 AM

823 posts, read 2,218,535 times
Quote:
New York: Knicks (NBA)...although Yankees (MLB) is very debateable, I think the Knicks, especially when good which has been a long time, still rule NY sports
No way. It's the Yankees and it isn't close. Even when the Knicks were good when the Yankees did something, signed a FA, played a big series, etc, they still knocked the Knicks off the back page and talk radio. New York is a baseball town before any other sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports