Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:41 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,577,283 times

Advertisements

Can we now say that Wawrinka Djokovic's nemesis?

We all understand why some, due to their size or hard hitting skills, are a huge thread to the Big Four such as Tsonga, del Potro, Berdych, and maybe even Isner, but Wawrinka is small and he is able to do stuff others (think Ferrer) of similar size and drive could not achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 11:16 AM

Now we know Wawrinka can effectively push Djokovic to the limit and even eliminate him in a Grand Slam, but how is Wawrinka's game against the other Big Four?

Old 01-21-2014, 11:45 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Can we now say that Wawrinka Djokovic's nemesis?

We all understand why some, due to their size or hard hitting skills, are a huge thread to the Big Four such as Tsonga, del Potro, Berdych, and maybe even Isner, but Wawrinka is small and he is able to do stuff others (think Ferrer) of similar size and drive could not achieve.
Wawrinka is quite a bit bigger and stronger than David Ferrer - who relies on his speed, fitness and dogged retrieving ability, so not really comparable.
Stan hits the ball as hard as anyone, serves approaching 220Ks and powerful winners of both wings.
He has caused the Joker a lot of problems, and really Joker was lucky to get past him last year at the AO. Joker was too passive at times during this match - hoping for mistakes from Stan, and did not play enough offensive shots when needed, allowing Wawrinka to dictate terms. Full credit to Stan the Man.
Should be a good match with Berdych, whom I expect him to beat.
Nadal is now strong favourite to take his 14th Grand Slam, as well as double career grand slam:

Australian Open Mens Betting Odds | Tennis Betting | Oddschecker

He's still got to win 3 more games though, as his Quarter is tonight against Dimitrov - affectionately known as "'Baby Fed"".
Murray is still a dark horse as he hasn't been properly tested yet.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:21 PM

I think Nadal prefer playing the known (Federer) who he can beat consistently than the newly crowned Grand Slam winner (Murray) whom he never met.

I think the Semis is going to be Nadal vs. Murray and Wawrinka vs. Berdych.

Finals: Nadal vs. Wawrinka.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I never meant Murray has it in the bag - I just want him to win and with Novak gone, that takes him a tiny step closer. Murray beat Stan on his 2nd match back from injury a few weeks ago - although I know he is a great player who I have always admired and he will be a tricky customer for sure.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:26 PM

Does Wawrinka beating Djokovic give underdogs like Dimitrov more confidence going against Nadal?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:15 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Ah well Andy have to wait for Wimbledon! Fed was superb in the 1st two sets - looked the best I have seen him in a year. Andy showed glimpses of brilliance and he showed he doesn't know when he is beaten but was just not as fit and in as good form as he would have liked to have been.

A lot of positives though - coming back from injury after having surgery, which should remedy the problem, and playing a lot of decent stuff.

Moving on - Fed really is looking like his new coach has gave him a new lease on life. He could cause Nadal a lot of problems I feel. Whoever wins this wins the title although I would love Wawrinka to win it!

Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Wawrinka have been giving Djokovic lots of problems in the past year. Has he been giving the other Big 4 or Tsonga/DelPotro/Berdych any problems?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:10 PM

Should Nadal be concerned with 2014 Federer who has new racquet and new coach? Will the winner of this semi-finals battle be so beat up and tired that the winner of the other semi (Berdych or Wawrinka) end up taking it all?

Old 01-22-2014, 01:59 PM

115 posts, read 135,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Should Nadal be concerned with 2014 Federer who has new racquet and new coach?

Yep ... not only does The Great Fed feel good physically again, but he's obviously playing with a lot of confidence now. That is a lethal combination as Murray just found out. Although, granted, Murray probably isn't back 100% yet.

That said, I still think Fed's impressive run comes to an end in the semi. He may take a set, but Rafa is just too good at this point ... not to mention the fact that he's hungry and really wants this slam.

Quote:
Will the winner of this semi-finals battle be so beat up and tired that the winner of the other semi (Berdych or Wawrinka) end up taking it all?

Nope ... I like Wawrinka and think that he would have a better shot at beating Rafa (even though he never has), but it's hard to see Rafa letting this one slip away...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports