Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:56 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
I think at this time of year Hawaii is actually -11 hours relative to London because Great Britain observes daylight savings time but Hawaii does not. I know Hawaii is 5 or 6 hours behind the eastern U.S. depending on the time of the year, and the eastern U.S. is 5 hours behind Great Britain.

Hawaii actually wouldn't be that severe of an adjustment coming from eastern Australia; think of it as being 4 hours (or possibly 3 hours) ahead of eastern Australia but one day behind. The bigger issue is the matches will start at 12 AM or 1 AM Hawaii time and probably end around 10 AM or 11 AM Hawaii time.

I think Wimbledon is now exclusively televised in the U.S. by ESPN as the "high profile network" for the event (NBC used to have some TV rights), though some matches, especially near the beginning and end of the day and also earlier in the tournament may be televised by the Tennis Channel. (The Tennis Channel also often shows Grand Slam matches on a tape delay that were televised live by ESPN or NBC; these matches feature Tennis Channel announcers rather than ESPN or NBC announcers however.) I'll note the Tennis Channel is often not included in basic or regular cable TV tiers in the U.S. (ESPN is usually available on just about all cable systems at hotels in the U.S.)

P.S. The time adjustment in eastern Australia for Wimbledon (and Roland Garros) is not unlike the time adjustment in the eastern U.S. for the Australian Open. With the Aussie Open, the matches, especially during the first week of the tournament, usually start around 7 PM U.S. Eastern time, are played through the night, and sometimes are still going on until 7-8 AM U.S. Eastern time the next day. The only difference between the eastern U.S./Australian Open and eastern Australia/Wimbledon and Roland Garros is you wouldn't have those "breakfast time" matches because of the lack of lights at Wimbledon and Roland Garros.
Thanks for your detailed and comprehensive response.
Wonder how many over there will be as interested in Wimbledon as we all are?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 04:21 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,240,920 times
Tennis is not that high profile of a sport in the U.S. right now, mainly because the U.S. men aren't that good. However, they will be a number of people who will be paying attention to Wimbledon in the U.S.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:58 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,848,307 times
Glory hunters?

Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Thanks for your detailed and comprehensive response.
Wonder how many over there will be as interested in Wimbledon as we all are?!
Very interested in this year's Wimbledon. I will be up early seeing the matches before work and watching taped matches when I get home. As a Nadal fan I hope he gets past the first couple of rounds. This is not his favorite surface and the last couple of years have not fared well for him.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,789 times
Congrats on the Hawaii trip, Derek. It sounds awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
Tennis is not that high profile of a sport in the U.S. right now, mainly because the U.S. men aren't that good. However, they will be a number of people who will be paying attention to Wimbledon in the U.S.
Yeah, tennis coverage is pathetic overall in the US, except during Wimbledon. The coverage of Roland Garros seemed especially terrible this year because I don't have the Tennis Channel anymore. U.S. Open coverage is ok only because the time zone actually works for me. I would support American men if there were any for me to support, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
As a Nadal fan I hope he gets past the first couple of rounds. This is not his favorite surface and the last couple of years have not fared well for him.
Nadal says Wimbledon is his favorite tournament but his results on grass say differently. Like I said before, I'd just like him to gain some points, which means he 'only' has to make the third round. It's going to be hard to defend all the hardcourt points this year. I am 99% sure he will not do the Rogers Cup-Cincinnati-U.S. Open triple again so he needs to gain points where he can before that.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:26 PM

351 posts, read 499,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I didn't see the match but this doesn't surprise me. I love grass for all the winners and the quick play. But it also results in a lot of errors.

Huh? This is the same thing you said to Quaker. I'm disappointed that you can't even be a little bit creative.

Parrot Nadal's recent grass results all you want. He still won two more Wimbledons than most players. Including Wawrinka.
Sure, Nadal won two Wimbledons. That doesn't erase the fact that he is no longer good on grass due to physical issues and is not one of the favorites ahead of Federer, Murray, and Djokovic, as one of the posters stated previously.
Stop living in the past.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Congrats on the Hawaii trip, Derek. It sounds awesome!

Yeah, tennis coverage is pathetic overall in the US, except during Wimbledon. The coverage of Roland Garros seemed especially terrible this year because I don't have the Tennis Channel anymore. U.S. Open coverage is ok only because the time zone actually works for me. I would support American men if there were any for me to support, lol.

Thanks for your kind words, re: Hawaii holiday, can't wait for that (my wife went there a few years ago so have some idea what to expect - all the shopping etc), will be there for 4th July as well as the 2nd week of Wimbledon.
As long as there is some form of Wimbledon coverage will be happy.
Draw for Wimbledon has been announced:

Roger Federer & Rafael Nadal On Wimbledon Semi-final Collision Course - Tennis - ATP World Tour

Gentlemen's Singles - 2014 Wimbledon Championships Website - Official Site by IBM

It has Djoker and Murray in one half, and Federer and Nadal in the other.
No guarantees all of the Big 4 will make it to the Semis though, we all know how dangerous Wimbledon is to just get through the 1st week.
On a more patriotic level, can't see too many Aussies getting past the 2nd Round, Bernard Tomic has drawn Berdych for 2nd Round, Hewitt has Janowicz, Nick Kyrigios has Richard Gasquet.

Last edited by Derek41; 06-20-2014 at 03:44 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 05:06 PM

Good victory by Lopez in Eastbourne, over Richard Gasquet:

Feliciano Lopez Retains Eastbourne Title - Tennis - ATP World Tour

Nobody really expects him to win Wimbledon as such- he is still at long odds, but still a fine grass court player.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:26 PM

351 posts, read 499,972 times
Mugsur already out :hand: Good riddance
"Slam" Stephens, too :hand:

Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM

Minor upset, journeyman Aussie Marinko Matosevic has taken out last years Quarter Finalist and former Top 10 player, Fernando Verdasco - who gave Murray a very tough match last year.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/tennis/n...-at-wimbledon/

Bernard Tomic through, but will be a big ask to beat Tomas Berdych- a former Wimbledon Finalist.
Sam Stosur has crashed out in the 1st Round in the Womens Draw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports