Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 04:48 PM

715 posts, read 791,595 times

Advertisements

or me-

best

scoring from the halfway line

worst

getting hit in the private area with the football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 07:28 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
winning championships is my best memory.

as for bad ones, i dont really have any because in my opinion a bad day playing sports is better than a great day at work.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:10 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Actually, my greatest was in a loss.

My senior year I lost a close match against a guy that would go on to be state champ at my weight class in wrestling. He'd beaten me like a red-headed stepchild every prior meeting ending in a fall or tech fall.

Worst? Senior year during a duel meet I was wrestling 132 and my opponent for the night was going to get crushed. The weight class above me was going to be the opposite. So, I told my coach, let me wrestle up a weight class....as the guy behind me should be able to mop the floor with my opponent and score 5-6 points and even if I lost we would still come out ahead by 2-3 points. (Pins are worth 6 ranging down to narrow victories 3 pts.) Instead of each scoring 6 points.

So, my JV guy goes out and is beating the crap out of the other kid, headed to a technical fall and in the last minute or so he gets overbalanced, flipped over and pinned. I actually managed to eke out a win in my match by wearing him down but they got 6 points to our 3. Sigh. You're welcome coach.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:34 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
When I was 9 and playing baseball, I hit a bases loaded triple in my first game.

A couple of years ago, I co-coached a basketball team made up of 11-12 year olds. My son's best friend hit a buzzer beater for the win at an away game. I'll never forget the looks on the opposing team's parents faces, it was the coolest thing ever.

This past season, I played in a men's baseball league. Any time I got a hit with men on base, or made a good defensive play, those are good enough memories for me....especially the big hits.

I wasn't good enough to make the baseball team in high school. That's my worst memory.

I have tons of good/bad memories regarding poker, but not all consider that a sport, so I'll leave them out.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
My best: I was a walk on (non-scholarship) D1 baseball player who was constantly injured my two years on the team. Ended up mostly hitting fungoes for the OFers. I knew I wasn't going to come back next season but finally got into a game as a late-inning replacement last game of my second year. Drew a walk, just missed a diving catch but kept it in front of me and prevented a double.

Worst: bowled 30 points below my average in our college intramural league championship. My teammates picked up some of the slack, but not enough to win. And they were not happy about it.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Actually, my greatest was in a loss.

My senior year I lost a close match against a guy that would go on to be state champ at my weight class in wrestling. He'd beaten me like a red-headed stepchild every prior meeting ending in a fall or tech fall.

Worst? Senior year during a duel meet I was wrestling 132 and my opponent for the night was going to get crushed. The weight class above me was going to be the opposite. So, I told my coach, let me wrestle up a weight class....as the guy behind me should be able to mop the floor with my opponent and score 5-6 points and even if I lost we would still come out ahead by 2-3 points. (Pins are worth 6 ranging down to narrow victories 3 pts.) Instead of each scoring 6 points.

So, my JV guy goes out and is beating the crap out of the other kid, headed to a technical fall and in the last minute or so he gets overbalanced, flipped over and pinned. I actually managed to eke out a win in my match by wearing him down but they got 6 points to our 3. Sigh. You're welcome coach.
sometimes things just dont go your way. i can relate to that.

Old 12-21-2014, 12:19 PM

3,508 posts, read 766,278 times
in high school i sank two free throws with no time left to defeat a rival team by one point ..and then in a later game we had a one point lead with me throwing the ball in and only need to run 3 seconds off the clock .. the coach told me to throw the ball high all the way to the other end of the court .. i threw it high alright ,, i hit the ceiling and the the other team got the ball and made a last second shot to beat us ...

Old 12-21-2014, 12:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
First home run in Little League was pretty good. So was striking out the side the first time I pitched.

A couple of worsts from the same "era": making the last out in the deciding game of the championship with the tying run at 2nd. And stopping a line drive with my face while pitching. Knocked me out, broke my nose and left me looking like a raccoon for a few days.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
I'm going to add:

Playing basketball on the Nuggets floor at Pepsi Center as another "best" memory. Done that a few times.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
First home run in Little League was pretty good. So was striking out the side the first time I pitched.

A couple of worsts from the same "era": making the last out in the deciding game of the championship with the tying run at 2nd. And stopping a line drive with my face while pitching. Knocked me out, broke my nose and left me looking like a raccoon for a few days.
i once hit a pitch with my nose in little league. unfortunately it was a season ending injury, but then there were only three games left in the season. but i dont count that as a bad memory. like i said before, a bad day playing sports, any sport, is better than a great day at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports