Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 10:28 AM

102 posts, read 128,801 times

Advertisements

I would say right now its a dead tie between baseball,boxing, and horse racing. I like baseball and boxing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 11:29 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimoso48 View Post
I would say right now its a dead tie between baseball,boxing, and horse racing. I like baseball and boxing.
Unfortunately Boxing has been in decline since the days of the great Heavyweights. The heavyweights brought attention to the other weight divisions as well, but since today's best athletes who would be potential good heavyweights are now opting for football and basketball, that division is weak and boxing as a whole has suffered because of it.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:03 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Our football is also the most popular. It is my favorite because of the combination athleticism and complex strategy.
football isnt very athletic. there is a youtube last week about a 350-pound offensive lineman running for a touchdown. many of the players are downright unhealthy.

basketball is probably the most athletic workout but football is more popular (maybe because people think the hits and tackles are more exciting).
last generation baseball was the american past-time.

also, sports science did a study on how much actual play time is in the average football game a few seasons ago. it was something like 6 minutes. most of the game is people lining up ready to hike the ball while the play clock is running.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 10-18-2015 at 02:20 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 04:11 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,540,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
football isnt very athletic. there is a youtube last week about a 350-pound offensive lineman running for a touchdown. many of the players are downright unhealthy.

basketball is probably the most athletic workout but football is more popular (maybe because people think the hits and tackles are more exciting).
last generation baseball was the american past-time.

also, sports science did a study on how much actual play time is in the average football game a few seasons ago. it was something like 6 minutes. most of the game is people lining up ready to hike the ball while the play clock is running.
You do realize that strength is part of being athletic? It's not just being able to run 20 miles. An offensive lineman in football needs to be strong enough, tough enough and quick enough to stop someone like julius peppers who is 6'6", nearly 300 lbs and runs a 4.68 40 yard dash (the fastest players in football are in the 4.2x range and that is world class sprinter speed). And by the way, that large lineman can bench press 600 lbs, squat 750lbs and withstand the pounding of being pushed by a similar sized person play in and play out. These are not your average junk food eating 350lb couch potatoes.

Old 10-18-2015, 04:41 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,790 times
Football, hands down. I wait all year for it.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:12 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,450,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
Yeah, from 1 or 2 yards away.

Do you think an unhealthy person could do this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4X664GRt0

Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
You do realize that strength is part of being athletic? It's not just being able to run 20 miles. An offensive lineman in football needs to be strong enough, tough enough and quick enough to stop someone like julius peppers who is 6'6", nearly 300 lbs and runs a 4.68 40 yard dash (the fastest players in football are in the 4.2x range and that is world class sprinter speed). And by the way, that large lineman can bench press 600 lbs, squat 750lbs and withstand the pounding of being pushed by a similar sized person play in and play out. These are not your average junk food eating 350lb couch potatoes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
Yeah, from 1 or 2 yards away.

Do you think an unhealthy person could do this?...
yup thanks. sorry my rant made me sound like every football player is fat. i obviousely didnt mean to imply that (i think i was conflating agility will athleticism).

but i remember on pti they had a discussion about how william "the fridge" perry was the biggest in the league 25 years ago and now he would be considered average and that certain positions encourage size rather than performance.
NFL: Study is flawed

Old 10-19-2015, 11:12 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,375 times
Default Consumers consuming

The American consumer loves to consume American football above the others. American Football is a win-win-win for all for the following reasons:
  • Long games with frequent breaks for maximum product TV advertisement - maximizing product consumption
  • Requires massive amounts of sporting equipment - maximizing consumption of sporting goods
  • Slow pace of game enables presenters to spoon feed analysis to TV viewers

Since the sport is the most lucrative for media, the media powers that control every cultural choke point in America have ensured that American Football will be the most popular. American football is more about consuming than athletics - other than the organization which has been cemented in the schools, American Football is a game that is rarely played. It is mainly a TV show designed to maximize consumption of a variety of products and support a number of industries.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:44 PM

1,073 posts, read 622,195 times
Soccer players are more athletic from a cardio standpoint while (American) football players are more athletic from a brute force standpoint. Football does have WR's, CB's, etc that are probably just as athletic as soccer players.

I'm American and grew up on the big three (football, baseball and bball).

However, I became hooked on soccer at the 2006 world cup and I'd say watching the USMNT is just as exciting to me as my favorite football team. I get soccer now.

Even though I have a lot of passion for football I can say it's become a guilty pleasure. Why? With all that we are learning about how dangerous the sport is every time I see a big hit and a player laid out I'm wondering if I'm watching someone getting permanent brain injuries.

Finally, in the end, I'm a huge sports fan. Give me a ball or puck and I can watch it (or play).

Old 10-23-2015, 05:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,597,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
For most Americans, soccer is too tame. Very little contact, very little scoring and doesn't require as many athletic skills.
I would say American football requires the least athleticism. 90% of the guys are only good at running into other humans.

Hockey requires the most athleticism.

However, to answer the OP, football is the most popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports