Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 05:30 PM

10,761 posts, read 4,346,172 times

Advertisements

I don't think Nadal will have to be anywhere near topnotch to beat Cilic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 05:52 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,622,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hahaalot View Post
I don't think Nadal will have to be anywhere near topnotch to beat Cilic.
Yes Haha, you have said it and I hope you are right! Even my own fiance is worried about Cilic though so it is getting to me

Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM

10,761 posts, read 4,346,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
Yes Haha, you have said it and I hope you are right! Even my own fiance is worried about Cilic though so it is getting to me
But I'm certainly worried about a Dimitrov SF.
Even though Nadal hasn't lost a slam semi since 2009, I'm worried it will be a marathon like last year....but at least this time Nadal will get 2 full days of rest before the Final.

Old 01-23-2018, 09:33 AM

Guess it was better not to look past Cilic after all. Nadal gets accused of faking injuries, but he almost never retires and it doesn't make sense for him to fake it after a two-set lead. Oh well. Nadal just seems to have issues with the Aussie. I really do want the Double Career Grand Slam, but at this point in his career, I doubt it'll happen. He was so close last year and in 2012 too....agh.

It's best to be fresh for clay season anyway.

I feel like the tournament is pretty open now. Federer may not make it past Berdych, but still it seems another Federer vs Cilic final is more likely than not.

Old 01-23-2018, 02:27 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Gotta feel for Nadal, his luck seems cursed at the AO.
Cilic was hitting hard and taking it to him though when it got to 2 sets all, so he still deserves to move on in this tourney.
Tonight's matches could be interesting.
Do not have a lot of faith in Berdych at this stage of a Slam against a Big 5 player like Fed, despite him playing well. His record against them is poor. Would be good if he finally steps up though, and even got a late career Slam.
Chung is probably the favorite in the other match, and could trouble Fed as well if they meet.
In the women's, looking fairly open, but Kerber as the only Slam champion left in the field has to be favored to win it from here.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:55 PM

As expected, Berdych bent over last night to Federer, blowing an early lead.
Now down to the final 4, with Cilic vs Edmund the first one on tonight.
In the womens, we have the semis on today:

Wozniacki vs Mertens

Halep vs Kerber

Quietly hoping Halep can break through for her maiden Slam, but Kerber is playing tough.
The other match not sure of, Mertens is pretty much an unknown to the casual tennis fan, but is on the rise.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:37 AM

Women's final now decided:

(1) Halep vs (2) Wozniacki

Ironically both are going for their first Slam, and one to become a first time Major winner.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 PM

I am confident it will be Federer vs Cilic. I wouldn't hate if Chung surprised me - and I'm a fan of Federer, even - but I am predicting the "Federer effect" will get to him. Federer played quite well against Berdych too, so he is ramping it up at the right time.

I feel like Wozniacki deals with pressure better than Halep so for that reason I favor her to win, though I'd rather Halep did.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
I am confident it will be Federer vs Cilic. I wouldn't hate if Chung surprised me - and I'm a fan of Federer, even - but I am predicting the "Federer effect" will get to him. Federer played quite well against Berdych too, so he is ramping it up at the right time.

I feel like Wozniacki deals with pressure better than Halep so for that reason I favor her to win, though I'd rather Halep did.
You are probably right.
Chung has a chance, but will probably drop the soap tonight, on such a big stage.
It still will be an absolute cracker of a final, Cilic was injured at the Wimby final.
The womens, hoping for a Halep win, but both deserve a Slam.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:05 AM

Hmm, maybe Nadal was right about the courts being dangerous this year. Anyway, I don't think Chung would have contended much more even without the foot issue. Federer showed tonight just how strong his strengths really are. And I suspected Chung would struggle with his serve, regardless.

Yes, Cilic said he was injured in the Wimbledon final, but now he presumably is not, so he had better make this an actual match this time. I'm still bitter that the Wimbledon final wasn't the match I expected it to be, hah. But really, if Cilic folds again in three, this time with no injury excuse, I think he will have proven to everyone how mentally weak he is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports