Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:02 PM

15 posts, read 86,092 times

Advertisements

Did I seriously read that some of you think that Boogaard could hang with the UFC fighters? No f'n way! Boogaard does not have any sort of ground game and I am positive that 90% of the heavyweights in the UFC would crush Boogaard's skull in.

Would it be entertaining to watch a no-talent, "role" player like Boogaard get smashed... yes! Would it be sporting? No. Boogaard knows his role and does it well, but that role will not cross-over at all in the UFC or EliteXC or DREAM... not a chance in hell.

Moving on....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 11:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux06Alum View Post
Boogaard knows his role and does it well, but that role will not cross-over at all in the UFC or EliteXC or DREAM... not a chance in hell.

Moving on....
You say "not a chance in hell", but gave him a 10% chance.

And besides, never underestimate a hockey enforcer. Theyre tough as nails, take punches like the best UFC fighters, and can dish em out just as hard. Not to mention that many of them are between 6' 6" and 6' 9", and anywhere up to 270 lbs with a long reach. They might not have a ground game, but if it came to a slugfest, Im goin with the hockey enforcer ANY DAY. Any day.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:07 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
I think hockey lacks fan base in New Mexico for obvious reasons,We do have a minor league hockey team called the Scorpions though that have been around for 10 years here,I seen my first hockey game a few months back and that was the first time in my 27 years that I have ever seen any kind of ice rink.

I was reading the local paper and some of the high schools in the Abuquerque metro area and in Northern NM have high school hockey,I couldnt believe this and wondered where local NM kids learn to play hockey.

UFC seems to be very popular here,many stores have popped up selling merchandise in the past couple of years,but I cant stand the UFC,I would rather watch a minor league hockey game,which I found to be actually very exciting.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,329,057 times
Every time I see a UFC game all they do is rolling around on the floor hugging each other.
Even I could do that.
Donald Brashear would be a UFC champion in no time if he tried it.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I would like to see Derek Boogaard fight a couple of those guys.
Georges Laraque, Zach Stortini or Colton Orr could take on those guys no problem.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:03 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenhereandthere View Post
Not a hockey fan, eh?
I was only correlating the violence connection between UFC and WWE. The WWE sells violence, even though it's fake, just like UFC. So they can mentioned in same sentence for my point.
The WWE sells soap opera storylines. The "fights" only occur to move the story along and keep the audience from realizing its watching a soap opera. Nothing wrong with that, but if you think the fights are what keep people coming back you're wrong and missing the point.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:30 AM

416 posts, read 1,090,067 times
I cannot stand UFC.
Intelligent Americans respect hockey.
Dont listen to the biased drivel on ESPN. They are complete morons.
P.S.
I miss Georges Laraque. I hope the Oilers pick him up again. I know the fans there LOVE him, and he loves them.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:46 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galloway View Post
please do not place WWE and UFC in the same category, or even mention them in the same sentence.

UFC is a real competition requiring skill, hard work, and dedication. While WWE is fake and is nothing like the UFC.

Also the fighting in hockey is simply 2 guys grabbing each other's coller and trading punches. The UFC is a mix of all of the different fighting styles of MMA. Obviously people would rather see a real brawl than those sorry excuses that they call for fights in hockey.
Very true.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:46 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
The two have their own merits which are completely unrelated to each other.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:55 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
I always though hockey was respected and WWE wasn't....at least with any sports fan I know.

You can respect the athleticism of a WWE athlete, but as a sport? Nah. It's a farce. Literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports