Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont get why the lead horse has to watch out for those horses behind him,wouldnt it be incumbent on trailing horses to make their own paths in nthe race and not trip over the lead horse? looking at film footage i noticed the lead jockey never looked back once to assess his trailing competitors . IMO MS got ripped off.
I agree; isn't the whole point to get and stay in first place? If there isn't enough room to safely maneuver because there are too many horses in the pack, that's on the racing officials. Of course, I find the whole thing inherently dangerous by its very nature; also abusive/exploitative of the animals, but that's just me.

Again, was it the HORSE'S doing (veering to the left) or the JOCKEY'S? No one has answered that question.

There's no question that MS was the best athlete and potentially a TCW. Perhaps one of the greatest horses of all time. It's a shame, but at least no one -- including innocent animals -- was hurt or killed, amazingly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I agree; isn't the whole point to get and stay in first place? If there isn't enough room to safely maneuver because there are too many horses in the pack, that's on the racing officials. Of course, I find the whole thing inherently dangerous by its very nature; also abusive/exploitative of the animals, but that's just me.

Again, was it the HORSE'S doing (veering to the left) or the JOCKEY'S? No one has answered that question.

There's no question that MS was the best athlete and potentially a TCW. Perhaps one of the greatest horses of all time. It's a shame, but at least no one -- including innocent animals -- was hurt or killed, amazingly.
Been answered multiple times - the horse was spooked by the crowd noise.

Unfortunate but the stewards did the right thing.

Maximium Security does not deserve the title of "one of the greatest horses of all time" His 103 Beyer for the race was just average for this caliber of racing...

He'll get plenty of chances to start a new streak. Then we will see how good he actually is.

Old 05-09-2019, 11:38 AM

1,070 posts, read 392,817 times
So, I went to my first Kentucky Derby! 167,000 of my friends! In the rain!

I had Max.Sec.! aka easy-$come - easy-$go!

Old 05-09-2019, 11:52 AM

1,070 posts, read 392,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Been answered multiple times - the horse was spooked by the crowd noise.

Unfortunate but the stewards did the right thing.

Maximium Security does not deserve the title of "one of the greatest horses of all time" His 103 Beyer for the race was just average for this caliber of racing...

He'll get plenty of chances to start a new streak. Then we will see how good he actually is.
103 Breyer - 2:03 - on a sloppy track ain’t bad!

I agree, it’s not yet time to declare Maximum Security better than Secretariat!

The horse behind Max had his left front leg BETWEEN Max’s rear legs for a stride or two. (I was at Saratoga 4-5 years ago for the Travers. In an earlier race, 50 yards from the finish line, two horses clipped legs. The horse behind fell, the ambulance came out, they held up a black screen, they put the horse down, and they carted him off in all of 3 minutes. I happened to be 50 feet away). Had the horse behind Max clipped legs there coulda been lotta $millions of dead horses.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/bl...rong_Call_123#

I was at this Derby and I had $20 to win on Max!

Old 05-09-2019, 12:04 PM

86 posts, read 62,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I dont get why the lead horse has to watch out for those horses behind him,wouldnt it be incumbent on trailing horses to make their own paths in nthe race and not trip over the lead horse? looking at film footage i noticed the lead jockey never looked back once to assess his trailing competitors . IMO MS got ripped off.
In most jurisdictions, the horse on the lead, or any horse for that matter, can veer in or out as much as they want. I have seen a horse on the inner rail veer out to nearly the outer rail and win.(See Broad Brush win the 1986 Pennsylvania Derby on Youtube). However, they cannot impede another runner and cost that runner a better finish. If MS was a couple of lengths clear of the runners behind him and veered out, he probably would have been ok. When he veered out in the Derby, he interfered with War of Will, nearly causing WoW to go down. This is the reason for the DQ.

Old 05-09-2019, 12:23 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Was the veering out of his lane the horse's or the jockey's "fault"?

the jockey is the one that controls the horse, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
But a block is a block is a block. Plus they are fairly dangerous. Senior died because he put up the block coming into turn four...

and in nascar throwing a block is not illegal. and by the way, senior died when his seat belt broke and he was hit with several G's of deceleration while fairly unrestrained in the car. a wreck like that normally does not result in a drivers death, it was a fluke.

Old 05-09-2019, 01:59 PM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the jockey is the one that controls the horse, not the other way around.

and in nascar throwing a block is not illegal. and by the way, senior died when his seat belt broke and he was hit with several G's of deceleration while fairly unrestrained in the car. a wreck like that normally does not result in a drivers death, it was a fluke.
Not quite.

If a 1100 pound horse is going to bolt suddenly to his right, chances are great the jockey can do little about it.

I hope he doesn't get suspended. I'm putting this incident all on the horse.

Old 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM

"Been answered multiple times - the horse was spooked by the crowd noise."

The crowd was noisy the entire race. I don't see how it can be disproven that the jockey subtle directed him to veer.

"...the jockey is the one that controls the horse, not the other way around."

Old 05-09-2019, 02:45 PM

86 posts, read 62,590 times
A horse is not a car. The animal has a mind of its own and sometimes reacts way too quickly for a jockey to respond. I have seen horses jump the rail in the stretch. I have seen them suddenly veer so sharply the the jockey falls off. If a horse gets spooked, and it does happen, a 110 pound rider can lose control of the animal.

Broad Brush bolts on the turn in the 1986 PA Derby

Leading horse jumps rail near finish

Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
A horse is not a car. The animal has a mind of its own and sometimes reacts way too quickly for a jockey to respond. I have seen horses jump the rail in the stretch. I have seen them suddenly veer so sharply the the jockey falls off. If a horse gets spooked, and it does happen, a 110 pound rider can lose control of the animal.

Broad Brush bolts on the turn in the 1986 PA Derby

Leading horse jumps rail near finish
Granted, but it's not like a mouse ran out into the middle of the track. The noise was constant, not sudden or unusual, so I can't see why that would spook an experienced horse intent on running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports