Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 11:44 AM

3,729 posts, read 2,553,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I think is more amazing that people get offended that a sports team name is changed
My opinion, I don't think they're offended, I think they're weary.

Weary of team names that were well-intentioned at best (or innocuous at worse) now being reinterpreted as racist sins. 'Indian' was a long established, technically neutral name for American Indians, Cleveland franchise wasn't using the word as a racial slur.. but the fans & team owners have been badgered (largely by Leftist sports media) in to believing they're all conspiring in a racist sin..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 12:53 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
My opinion, I don't think they're offended, I think they're weary.

Weary of team names that were well-intentioned at best (or innocuous at worse) now being reinterpreted as racist sins. 'Indian' was a long established, technically neutral name for American Indians, Cleveland franchise wasn't using the word as a racial slur.. but the fans & team owners have been badgered (largely by Leftist sports media) in to believing they're all conspiring in a racist sin..
Call it whatever you want. it's dumb.

You can change any of the names of the local teams and I wouldn't give dm about it.
Call them the monkeys, dogs, pigs, gorillas ... they are still not getting my money.

Old 04-22-2021, 12:57 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,232,801 times
Quote:
Call it whatever you want. it's dumb.

You can change any of the names of the local teams and I wouldn't give dm about it.
Call them the monkeys, dogs, pigs, gorillas ... they are still not getting my money.

Well, it's all about you, isn't it?

Old 04-24-2021, 09:20 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,398,910 times
I was a Redskins fan for 45 years. I was fine with the name change. Describing a group of people with a physical characteristic is not the same as a team named after an animal.

Old 10-29-2021, 09:59 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Well, I have been meaning to point out that we have a new NHL HOCKEY team called the KRAKEN (or the Krankens? )

I was hearing all about them, not even sure where they were from

But OK So KRAKEN Sounds like a fun name, but wait
It is going to offend someone.

how about if you have ever been out kayaking in the ocean and had a Giant Squid reach up and pull you under.....Kraken would not be such a fun name then. Or how about all the times that a Giant Squid has damaged a Navy Submarine? Not exactly fun for the submariners onboard. And if you were ever out on your boat, and watched a Giant Squid tentacle rise up from the ocean and pull someone overboard, then to me, naming a team after such a creature would be terrifying.

Seems to me that there are just too many animal names out there that would be more sensitive to those persons who have suffered traumatic experiences at sea due to a giant squid......

Old 10-31-2021, 07:39 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Hopefully republicans stopping whining and realize that a team is not the name
It’s the players and fans

Old 11-01-2021, 09:27 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Well, I have been meaning to point out that we have a new NHL HOCKEY team called the KRAKEN (or the Krankens? )

I was hearing all about them, not even sure where they were from

But OK So KRAKEN Sounds like a fun name, but wait
It is going to offend someone.

how about if you have ever been out kayaking in the ocean and had a Giant Squid reach up and pull you under.....Kraken would not be such a fun name then. Or how about all the times that a Giant Squid has damaged a Navy Submarine? Not exactly fun for the submariners onboard. And if you were ever out on your boat, and watched a Giant Squid tentacle rise up from the ocean and pull someone overboard, then to me, naming a team after such a creature would be terrifying.

Seems to me that there are just too many animal names out there that would be more sensitive to those persons who have suffered traumatic experiences at sea due to a giant squid......
It sounds like you have too much time on your hands. There have been two renamings in American sports this past year, both which were formerly a group that underwent genocide on this continent and were still being stereotyped. It's really not that big of a deal.

Old 11-01-2021, 11:36 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It sounds like you have too much time on your hands. .
What gives you that idea ?

Old 02-28-2022, 09:01 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Dolphins, Tigers, Lions, Broncos, etc - offensive to animal lovers.
Vikings - offensive to those of Scandinavian heritage.
Bengals - offensive to both Bengalis and tiger lovers.
Padres - offensive to Hispanics and non-Catholics.
Cowboys - offensive to Native Americans, animal lovers, and probably others.
Celtics - offensive to the Irish.
76ers - also offensive to the British.

Can we keep the Orioles, Blue Jays, and Ravens? And maybe add robins, sparrows, and chickadees? Those can't be offensive to anyone. But the Cardinals will have to go, given their affiliation with the Vatican.
"Can we keep the Orioles, Blue Jays, and Ravens?"

Nope, the Blue Jays, and Ravens can be very viscous

As a kid I had to protect my mother with a broom from the diving blue jays.

Old 02-28-2022, 10:57 AM

6,746 posts, read 3,361,971 times
Quote:
Hopefully republicans stopping whining and realize that a team is not the name
It’s the players and fans
Republicans? You can't really believe that nonsense. The only ones complaining are the woke snowflake liberals that are offended by everything.

You know, the same ones that tear down statues and deface monuments that represent things they know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports