Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 11:01 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
When an athlete of color is not on their court or playing field they realize they are at risk because of the color of their skin.
No, they don't realize that, because they aren't at risk because of the color of their skin. That's a fantasy. Each year, there are maybe three black people killed in this country because of their race.
Quote:
This is something white people never have as a daily worry about themselves or their children or their spouses unless they are non-white.
That is ridiculous. White people have to fear black criminals much more than black people have to fear the police or members of other races, and the odds of an innocent white person being killed by a black criminal are about 50 times the odds of an innocent black person being killed by a cop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 06:39 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, they don't realize that, because they [Black athletes] aren't at risk because of the color of their skin. That's a fantasy.
Actually that's not true. Just off the top of my head, LeBron James had his family home in LA (before becoming a Laker) spray-painted with racial epithets. A Milwaukee Bucks player shopping at a neighborhood jewelry store had the cops called on him by nervous salespeople. Colin Kaepernick and his fellow Black college teammates were harassed by cops while moving into their off-campus house at Wisconsin.

Quote:
Each year, there are maybe three black people killed in this country because of their race. That is ridiculous.
Your observation and information sources are incomplete. There are already three unnecessary cop-involved murders - that have made national news - and one person who will likely be paralyzed due to seven bullets in their back.

Quote:
White people have to fear black criminals much more than black people have to fear the police or members of other races, and the odds of an innocent white person being killed by a black criminal are about 50 times the odds of an innocent black person being killed by a cop.
"Fifty times?" Again, your information is skewed.

This whole post is a denial and dismissal of the experience of Black athletes let alone the Black American community in general.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-03-2020 at 07:30 AM..

Old 09-03-2020, 08:36 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Actually that's not true. Just off the top of my head, LeBron James had his family home in LA (before becoming a Laker) spray-painted with racial epithets. A Milwaukee Bucks player shopping at a neighborhood jewelry store had the cops called on him by nervous salespeople. Colin Kaepernick and his fellow Black college teammates were harassed by cops while moving into their off-campus house at Wisconsin.

Your observation and information sources are incomplete. There are already three unnecessary cop-involved murders - that have made national news - and one person who will likely be paralyzed due to seven bullets in their back.

"Fifty times?" Again, your information is skewed.

This whole post is a denial and dismissal of the experience of Black athletes let alone the Black American community in general.
You're making stuff up to suit your argument, and using it to make a bad argument on top of that. By the way, Colin Kaepernick didn't even go to college at Wisconsin, so what is that all about?

The LeBron incident doesn't suggest any reason for black athletes to be scared, and it's likely that the spray-painting was a hate hoax done by a black person or even LeBron himself. And your other silly anecdotes provide no reason to be scared, and add up to a few anecdotes.

And, no you can't point to ANY recent race-motivated murders of blacks, by cops or anyone else. You're making stuff up. Floyd wasn't murdered, and it had nothing to do with race. The shooting of scumbag Blake was not racially motivated. I have no idea who the other two are supposed to be, but go ahead and name them and prove they were killed because of their race.

And LOL at the experience of black athletes. What about the experience of everyone else, including other blacks, for whom black crime is a huge problem?

Old 09-03-2020, 10:32 AM

2,284 posts, read 1,585,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The problem with the NBA is that defense has been neutered down so that scoring becomes easier. A decade ago if you were going to jump for a 3, someone would put a hand on the ball or your arm before the shot. You had to be a very deceptive and quick shooter to get 3s off. Now, they can't hand check or put much physical contact on you there's no point to having a shot blocker.
so they feminized the sport?

I remember when playing with other guys way back, if you were soft, can't jump or shoot, they'd call you a WNBA player. All the social activism and more and more commercial ads on uniforms has turned me off.

Old 09-03-2020, 10:35 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You're making stuff up to suit your argument, and using it to make a bad argument on top of that. By the way, Colin Kaepernick didn't even go to college at Wisconsin, so what is that all about?
My bad, I misremembered where he spent his college days. He went to Nevada-Reno.

ESPN: In your mind, have you been pulled over unjustly or had bad experiences?

CK: Yes, multiple times. I’ve had times where one of my roommates was moving out of the house in college, and because we were the only black people in that neighborhood, the cops got called and we had guns drawn on us. Came in the house, without knocking, guns drawn on my teammates and roommates. So I have experienced this. People close to me have experienced this. This isn’t something that’s a one-off case here or a one-off case there. This has become habitual. This has become a habit. So this is something that needs to be addressed.

https://www.espn.com/blog/san-franci...ational-anthem

Quote:
The LeBron incident doesn't suggest any reason for black athletes to be scared, and it's likely that the spray-painting was a hate hoax done by a black person or even LeBron himself
You say I'm "making stuff up to suit [my] argument, and yet you come back with this?

The rest of your response reveals what experience and information sources you have at your disposal. Only the rare red hat-owning African-American - and even rarer Black athlete - would find common ground with you on this topic.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:53 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
My sports are hunting and fishing. When I was younger, my additional sport was racing sled dogs. My father took me to a Boston Braves game about 75 years ago.

Old 09-04-2020, 11:04 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post

Ahem. Neuter is not feminine. If you neuter a female, does it become male?

My pony is a gelding, but there's nothing feminine about him.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:20 PM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
As quickly as the salaries can escalate they can de escalate. Another year like this many professional athletes and sports will see the end of an era .They'll still be paid well, taken care of but the mcmansion mutts era will soon come to a close. Except for gamblers, the FANatics and some looking for entertainment, distractions etc will fade away. They're will always be a niche for these toads but not monuments.

In the end it's a game

Old 09-12-2020, 01:42 PM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
NHL players did not lose a penny. Their contracts are for regular season only. Playoffs are financial incentives.

Players are free to do what they want. As prices for attending games and subscribing to cable networks and streaming services increase, people will have to decide whether it is worth it financially to continue to support these multimillionaire. Young kids aren't interested in sports, so there is a limited life span on all of these leagues. As these kids grow up, they won't support sport leagues, their money will go towards gaming.

Jacob Blake is a tough gut to support. Are the players really sure they want to back him and say he is one of us?

When will the women's groups come out and demand equal observance by the sports leagues who have now gone on record as supporting a sex offender?

https://nypost.com/2020/08/28/this-i...or-his-arrest/

This why you don't get involved in political things, or you at least wait until there is some sort of at least initial investigation into the matter before you throw your support towards a guy.
Where are you getting that young kids aren’t interested in sports? My 11-year-old twin great nephews play basketball, baseball and football and love watching all of them too. When I went to watch them play baseball in the township league this summer, 6 fields were packed with parents and kids.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:45 PM

50,799 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post

I remember when playing with other guys way back, if you were soft, can't jump or shoot, they'd call you a WNBA player. All the social activism and more and more commercial ads on uniforms has turned me off.
Has nothing to do with feminization or social causes. They made it easier to score because audiences like to watch people in high score games. People like to watch three pointers. Just like they changed the balls used in baseball to increase home runs, because audiences like to see home runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports