Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 09:26 AM

1,110 posts, read 671,809 times

Advertisements

Great experience to see in person if you never have. I myself would not be concerned at all but respect your right to be. Unless you live with a number of co-morbidities, you can always go with mask/ hand sanitizer and make it a point not to purchase food/ water / souvenirs or touch anything.

On paper, all attendees are vaccinated and yes, there is documentation of breakthrough infections (probably at a rate considerably higher than reported). A few may manage to falsify paperwork and get in as well. I'd assume the vaxxed there (regardless of actual effectiveness) very likely adhere to other recommended safety protocols as do most unvaxxed that sneak in.

Be sure to budget additional time to wait in line while your vax status is validated. Day one - waits were over two hours but my daughter's tennis coach has been there the past three consecutive days and entry time is now about 30 minutes. Finals may fair better as there is only one match to attend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 04:19 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,279,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I'm just joking, man. I'm not one of those people that refuse to wear it. I don't like it, but I lump it.

Seriously tho, isn't it hard to "stay away from weirdos"? These tickets are assigned seat, so what if you are seated next to a weirdo? That's the part that concerns me.
Why do people ask a super subjective question - then when given an answer, they play the "what if" game?

Go or don't go - your choice. Do you ask yourself the same question when going out to eat? Hanging out with friends?

I'm pretty sure driving to and from these events presents a bigger risk/danger.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:46 PM

3,485 posts, read 1,405,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Why do people ask a super subjective question - then when given an answer, they play the "what if" game?

Go or don't go - your choice. Do you ask yourself the same question when going out to eat? Hanging out with friends?

I'm pretty sure driving to and from these events presents a bigger risk/danger.

I'm just being overly paranoid.

I'm usually never this paranoid. I even take the subway, go to crowded stores, and go to church. But the reason why I'm braver in those situations is because I'm usually always on the go and normally just pass by people quickly. It's very hard to catch a virus with that quick exposure. Church is the riskiest for me, but I try to sit away from people as best as I can and always wear a mask. So I try to keep exposure as limited as possible.

But with the US Open, I'll be sitting there for HOURS next to the same people who will be yelling and cheering. If anyone of those people around me are infected with Covid, then I may have a good chance of contracting it since I've been exposed for a long period of time.

But like I said, I could be just paranoid and maybe the risk is very low due to it being an outdoor event.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:49 PM

Ok, I decided to go for it and get tickets to tomorrow's match. I feel like I'm going to regret it more if I don't go than if I go & catch Covid. I tried to pick the promenade section which is not an overly packed area. There were a lot of vacancies in this section as now, so should be very easy to move around if there end up being too many people around me.

I just couldn't pass this up because it's going to be beautiful day in NY tomorrow and it's the start of my one week vacation, so I need to go out and do something fun! And the US Open only comes once a year for a short period of time, so it's rare experience that I get to have. And I'm so psyched about tomorrow's final woman's match after watching yesterday's semi-finals! Can you believe it's one 18 year old and one 19 year old that made it to the woman's final?!! They are super young but amazing, gifted tennis players. So it should be a lot of fun seeing who wins tomorrow!

Old 09-11-2021, 06:31 AM

10,951 posts, read 3,689,039 times
Go Leyla Go..... We're rooting for you in Miami this afternoon. . . .

Old 09-11-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huasho View Post
Go Leyla Go..... We're rooting for you in Miami this afternoon. . . .
I’ll actually be rooting for her because she’s from Canada. But for some reason, I have a slight hunch Raducanu might win because she is just a downright amazing player and has crushed every single opponent she has played in all her matches. But Fernandez will be her most challenging opponent yet so it will be a competitive match for sure.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I’ll actually be rooting for her because she’s from Canada. But for some reason, I have a slight hunch Raducanu might win because she is just a downright amazing player and has crushed every single opponent she has played in all her matches. But Fernandez will be her most challenging opponent yet so it will be a competitive match for sure.

Love Canada to death....Can't wait to travel up there in the near future once more...The Old Lady and I really enjoy your country and the people there.

Old 09-11-2021, 03:26 PM

No Wonder the Skinheads of the World are all Rilled Up.... The Races across the world are NUTS, and for me nothing is wrong with that...We have a Canadian Girl in the Finals with a mother from the Phillipines and a father From Ecuador, then Raducano from England, just found out she was born in Toronto, Canada ??????

How and when or why she represents England ....

Wow..Go explain this to the Non Believers in RACE/NATION crossings

Old 09-11-2021, 04:53 PM

Poor Leylah! The crowd really was cheering her on and she gave it her best, but Emma has continued to prove herself undefeatable! Emma is just amazing in every way, and while I was disappointed that Leylah lost, it was still an amazing match to watch in person! I definitely need to do this again!!

Old 09-11-2021, 04:59 PM

It's only money..Mate !!! That's the Australian Way . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports