Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times

Advertisements

There totally needs to be one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 08:49 PM

243 posts, read 86,978 times
Is that a real popular sport?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMGC View Post
Is that a real popular sport?
Have you been? I was born and raised in Az and here, yes, it is extremely popular.

Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
I don't do it anymore (too darn old) but moto cross, trials riding would be interesting.
How bout some 4x4 offroad, through creeks, big boulders, etc.
Water skiing, i used to live on a ski, maybe some o that, some barefootin.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:24 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,376,537 times
Even though 2 strokes are almost a thing of the past I love them, not much for trail riding but if you've ever been on one on a fast course going through the gears theres nothing like the feel of the front end coming up in every gear as it makes peek power. 4 strokes have come along way, lighter materials and more power have made it possible for 250cc bikes to compete with 125cc 2 strokes and they can putt putt along on a trail making them much more desirable to most people.

I have been riding dirt for 38 years and street for 30. This should be a fun thread!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM

It's addicting.....I love riding through the desert, nothing but me, my bike and the trails.....but nothing compares to riding up in sedona...wow....amazing.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM

I kept myself amused an entire afternoon last year at a park off I 81 just gassing it through a grassy field then laying on the breaks and powering out of turns without putting my feet down. When you do it just right you can get way low to the ground. That day I found a telephone pole in the high grass...lol the KX handled it well.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:02 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
I graduated from bicycle to a cushman eagle scooter, ya gotta be old to remember those rascals, wasn’t even old or close enough to have a driver license but me and ol Cushman went all over the side roads, then one day me and my brother took the beast to the old strip mines, he decided he was gonna climb hills, well ol betsy chugged up a couple times bout the fifth time it played out and came tumbling back down the big hill, didn’t really mess much up but it never did run after that, that thing would probably be worth a good penny bout now too if I still had it.

I won’t tell ya the first time I rode that thing I got the handlebar end caught in a fence, scared the crap outta me, thought ol cushy was gonna eat me alive

Went from that to a yamaha 125 that I striped down and made into a dirt bike, trimmed the front bottom o the piston up a lil higher, polished out the ports slick as glass, played with a few carburetor jets, it ate up all my buddy’s 250’s, I tried a few 250's but always went back to my 125.

I used to do some motocross with a buddy, had some good times till one day he went over a hill, come down, lost it and has been paralyzed from waist down ever since, after that I was going to go into nothing but trials (not trails) riding but decided I had better just sell all my bike stuff and get out before I got messed up too, my brother did a lil dirt track with steel shoe, I thought hmm that might be fun till a foot peg comes at your head when your down, yup scrap that idea.

Never really rode a four stroke except for ol cushy , heck the only 4 strokes back then were honda road bikes, lotta guys ran the old husky’s they were fairly good dirt bikes.

I’ve had my share of being thrown off em in the dirt but never broke anything, riding on the hiway, I did it twice and said nope not for this guy, but when I was younger I rode a lot of dirt.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:09 AM

I used to read about doing trials, pretty cool how they can balance them so well, climb rocks and all but I never tried it.
I remember the cushmans, a few kids had them in highschool, "ex mail carts". They got them around.
There were a lot of cool 2 strokes back then, a buddy of mine had a Hodaka Combat Wombat. I think what really got me started was looking in the display window at the BMW dealer and they had this pocket bike sized Indian dirt bike that I drooled over till my dad finally caved in and let me buy my first motorcycle when I turned 13.

Last edited by Rcm58; 07-18-2008 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-18-2008, 03:00 PM

nice.....my first was an ATV....I think I was like 6....since then i've been in love with riding the desert and mountains.....it's indescribable especially when I get to take my helmet off after a race and show the boy I just raced that i'm a girl....the looks on thier faces are soooo worth it!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports