Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
it really is hard to say there is one great overall athlete because what everyone does is different. While Jordan may be the best basketball player, Phleps would beat him in swimming. I think you need to stick with in the sport and have who is the best (insert sport) debate.
Couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 09:59 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I go swimming (surfing and/or bodyboarding) every week so its no big deal.

When he wins Olympic gold in boxing as well as face Joe Frazier three times, beat George Forman, Ernie Shavers, and become the most beloved sports figure in American history (Muhammad Ali) then maybe he'll be mentioned among the greats.
The swimming quote above is a classic....one of the dumbest I've ever read on this board.

Heck, I punch a speed bag a couple of times a month...no big deal.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:01 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
The first person here to take him off his throne step up.

An America achieves something no other person in the history of time has achieved and you wish to take way from that?

Next person you got tucked away that can come away with anything close bring it....

He has world champions questioning their abilities. Please.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:55 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
I think he's definitly one of the best athletes ever.....definitly.....he worked hard and won hard.......he deserves the title of one of the best......

Old 08-16-2008, 12:56 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
Did I mention he's hot? lol

Old 08-16-2008, 07:28 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,239 times
Better question is did he actually win that last race? I haven't watched the video, but most everyone I talked to says the other guy touched the wall first, but Michael's sensor went off first.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:34 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Better question is did he actually win that last race? I haven't watched the video, but most everyone I talked to says the other guy touched the wall first, but Michael's sensor went off first.
Yes, Michael won the race. Watch the video. I watched it live and it was so close but you can see at the very end that he did indeed win. All the experts on the matter talked last night and this morning agreeing Michael won the race.

The judges looked at it and all the camera shots and also decided that Michael won the race. And the sensor said he won the race. It was close (no doubt about that) but Michael won it and that's why they are Olympians.

Also....Cavic's time was 50.59. Phelps time was 50.58.

The Serbian delegation filed a protest, but conceded that Phelps won after reviewing the tape provided by FINA.

Last edited by Roma; 08-16-2008 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-16-2008, 10:13 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,443,642 times
The hype will continue until it gets doused by the news that he's been doping just like the rest of 'em. I'm SO SICK of hearing about this guy and seeing his ugly mug everywhere I turn!

Old 08-16-2008, 11:41 AM

910 posts, read 2,983,953 times
i wouldnt say best athlete, its a thing based on your own oppinion. i am amazed when i watch him compete though, because he is a role model to male swimmers. other than the olympics, you don't see much swimming matches on local tv stations. same goes for track, diving, rowing, etc. That's what makes the olympics so special.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:17 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
The hype will continue until it gets doused by the news that he's been doping just like the rest of 'em. !
I understant that Michael if VOLUNTARILY giving "samples" every day to crush critics - such as yourself - from trying to infer he is "using".

When one stops, and thinks, about what it has taken this young man, to reach the levels that he has reached - yes, I would say he is the finest athlete there is.

How many of us, anyone, is willing to spend 5/6/7 hours (minimum) a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year, for 14 years, training as he has done? He is as focused an athlete as you will ever find.

Go for the Gold Michael Phelps! You make the USA proud!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports