Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the best City/Area/Region for sports?
Atlanta 2 0.96%
Boston (New England) 32 15.38%
Chicago 21 10.10%
Detroit 15 7.21%
Ohio 9 4.33%
Dallas/Fort Worth 7 3.37%
Houston 4 1.92%
New York 22 10.58%
Philadelphia 8 3.85%
Miami 3 1.44%
Minneapolis/St. Paul 0 0%
Southeastern U.S. 5 2.40%
Los Angeles/San Diego 5 2.40%
Bay Area/ Northern Cal. 4 1.92%
Pacific Northwest 3 1.44%
Wisconsin 6 2.88%
Arizona/New Mexico 2 0.96%
San Antonio/Austin 4 1.92%
New Orleans 0 0%
Toronto 0 0%
Mid Atlantic area 4 1.92%
Pittsburg 37 17.79%
Other 15 7.21%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hameltoe View Post
Boston should be 3-4th though, IMO because they have a good baseball and football team... subpar hockey team...
I don't think this poll has anything to do with how good the teams are....its how well the fans support their teams, win or lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:44 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
All you guys who keep putting Boston and Philly ahead of NYC have been gullable of the anti-New York media or just don't like New York.

Here is some history.
Philadelphia isn't that rabid as they are made out to be.
The Eagles had many blackouts and almost moved in the 80s...and when they struggle...they DO NOT sellout.
The Giants have sold out since 1976.

Philadelphia had 14,000 for a playoff NBA game.
They also did not support the Phillies until very recently.

Boston...have you seen Bruin attendance?
They abandoned that team...and don't give me "Well it's the owner" because the Rangers in New York had a bad streak...and still sold out.

New Yorkers are most passionate historically over the long haul.
Philly fades when they start losing...as does Boston.

The Isles/Nets/Devils do not count...they are suburban based teams that tried to steal some of the base of the other teams and failed.

The Eagles almost moved? NO.....but at one point, New Jersey, just across the Delaware River, was offering to build a new stadium there...but in the end the Eagles stayed in the city, unlike the NJ Jets and NJ Giants. Also, Jeffrey Lurie did bring up the fact that Los Angeles wants an NFL team when he was looking for a new stadium. That's the closest that ever got. There would be riots in the streets if the Eagles ever moved. The Eagles always sell out. The Phillies drew well even in the lean years. The Yankees didn't start selling out until they started winning titles in the late 90s. I remember watching Yankee games in the late 80s to early 90s and the place had a lot of empty seats.

Why do the Isles/Nets/Devils not count? The Nets and Devils play right next to the Giants and Jets.

I've been watching Eagles games for more than 20 years....never remember a blackout.

Philly only had 14,000 for an NBA playoff game? So what? The Sixers are at the bottom of the totem pole in team interest in Philly....the NBA just isn't as popular as it used to be....its mainly a "ghetto" and "hip hop" thing now. Once Michael Jordan was gone, most people outside of the "hip hop" baggy pants and cockeyed-flat-brim hat crowd abandoned the NBA. I'm not a big basketball fan myself, but if I was to watch basketball, I would rather watch college over the NBA.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:54 PM

317 posts, read 535,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightinPhils View Post
I don't think this poll has anything to do with how good the teams are....its how well the fans support their teams, win or lose.
part of it is winning %, sales and marketing, attendance, and loyalty

Old 09-04-2008, 01:55 PM

734 posts, read 2,617,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Something I should have mentioned before... this poll depends on:

-Number of Major sports teams (including NASCAR tracks)
-Number of major sporting events the city/area held (including the Olympics)
-Fan Support
-College sports atmosphere
-Championship teams in the area

If your city doesn't have at least one of those, don't even think of voting for it. Oh wait, that's right....I can't tell you how to vote .

- 4 MAJOR sports teams, plus nearby NASCAR track (Michigan International Speedway), Detroit Grand Prix in the IRL on Belle Isle, several non-major pro franchises (i.e. WNBA, indoor soccer league)

- Hosted 2 Superbowls in 2 different stadiums, MLB All-Star game in 2 different ballparks, NCAA Sweet 16/Elite 8, Final 4 is coming, College bowl game, many many many Stanley Cup Finals, NBA Finals, World Series, NFL Championships (pre-Superbowl), Red Bull AirRace over the Detroit River, NCAA pre-season tournament at the Palace, annual major college hockey tournament, PGA tour events, 2 Wrestlemanias, lol

- home of Hockeytown (where our fans probably outnumber yours at your own stadium), Lions always sell-out despite consistent lack of success, Pistons always sell-out, Tigers attendance has skyrocketed since moving to Comerica

- University of Michigan is within spitting distance with the winningest football team of all time, Wayne State and Detroit Mercy are located within city limits providing many college events, great state rivalry of UofM - MSU, best sports rivalry of UofM - Ohio State

- Championships teams? Pistons (est. 1941) - 3 NBA titles, Red Wings (est. 1926) - 11 Stanley Cups(most in the U.S.), Tigers (est. 1894) - 4 World Series Championships, Lions (est. 1929) - 4 NFL Championships, Shock - 2 WNBA titles, Wolverines (est.1879) - 7 National Titles in football with 3 Heisman winners...

...and that's just the biggies

So I don't see any reason for me not to vote for the Detroit Metro Area guiltfree.

Last edited by jrmontag; 09-04-2008 at 02:12 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Detroit and the state of Michigan....sports capital of the world.

Tigers
Pistons
Red Wings
Lions (no laughing)
Shock
Plymouth Whalers
Grand Rapids Griffins
Marquette Rangers
Grand Rapids Rampage
West Michigan Whitecaps
Traverse City Beach Bums
Michigan
Michigan St.
Central - Mt. Pleasant
Eastern - Ypsilanti
Western - Kalamazoo
Northern - Marquette
Ferris St. - Big Rapids
Lake St. - Sault Ste. Marie
Michigan Tech - Houghton
Detroit Mercy
Wayne State
Oakland U.
Grand Valley St.
Michigan Speedway in Jackson
More golf courses per capita than any other state
Best lakes anywhere on earth for boating & watersports

I'm sure I forgot someone or something, but read it & weep.
It doesn't get any better - ANYWHERE!
MICHIGAN IS SPORTS UTOPIA WITH THE BEST FANS ON EARTH!
damn, why no love to the Tri-Cities region? You forgot the Great Lakes Loons (an affiliate of the LA Dodgers), the Saginaw Spirit (OHL hockey team), Saginaw Sting (arena football team), Saginaw Valley State University (several football teams in the 2000's in the D-II Playoffs including some #1 rankings and a 3-time NCAA Champ in bowling...including just last year or so I think), Northwood University...plus the Flint Generals hockey team!

Good post though.

Last edited by jrmontag; 09-04-2008 at 03:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2008, 01:06 PM

317 posts, read 535,805 times
love the MI fans here!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 PM

2,260 posts, read 3,881,421 times
Miami

Four Pro sports teams 3 have championships, Nascar and Indy racing out at Homestead, Hurricane Football and Baeball powerhouses, Host more Super Bowls than any other cities, Orange Bowl Classic one of four major bowls has hosted many football National Championships.

Muhammad Ali: Made in Miami | PBS

Old 09-26-2008, 07:37 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Even though I'm a lifelong Sox fan, Boston fans overall are terrible. Overall, I'd say Philly and Chicago are tied for the best, most passionate, dedicated sports fans.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,210,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Miami

Four Pro sports teams 3 have championships, Nascar and Indy racing out at Homestead, Hurricane Football and Baeball powerhouses, Host more Super Bowls than any other cities, Orange Bowl Classic one of four major bowls has hosted many football National Championships.

Muhammad Ali: Made in Miami | PBS
Yeah, that has nothing to do with being the best...Florida fans are some of the worst in sports (if there are any...)

Old 09-27-2008, 01:31 PM

I already won this thread, guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports