Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,844,411 times

Advertisements

Let's match up the teams, each consisting of the logos of its city's major sports franchises (mainly MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL....but if you want to throw in MLS, that' s ok, too).

City, of course, can mean metropolitan area or any common groupings of teams.

Examples...

CHICAGO: This one is an easy grouping. Five teams, all in city limits, all of them Chicago: Cubs, White Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks

BAY AREA: 180° removed from Chicago, but we know the group, whether they call themselves San Francisco, Oakland, San Jose, or Golden State: Giants, A's, 49ers, Raiders, Warriors, Sharks

BOSTON: We know the New England Patriots were once the Boston Patriots and we tend to think of the Pats today as Boston as the Red Sox:
Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins

MILWAUKEE: Milwaukee is unique because Green Bay is unique. The Packers once played half their schedule in Milwaukee. And in the most unusual of circumstances, since the small city of Green Bay stands for Wisconsin more than itself, this is Milwaukee's team:
Brewers, Packers, Bucks

Anyway, you get the picture. So no matter how you choose to group them (but please share the teams that are being grouped and what you'd call them):

WHO WINS THE BATTLE OF THE CITY/METRO/ETC. TEAM LOGOS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:05 PM

I'll respond to myself. Can I be local and still bipartisan and unbiased. Sure. That's why I say my home town of Chicago leaves the rest in the dust

OK; not fair. But I can make a pretty good case:

CUBS: Like the rest of its Chicago brethren, this one is classic and traditional: that large "C" with "UBS" inside, instantly recognizable, and a work of simplicity where less is more.

WHITE SOX: One of the coolest logos in sports and arguably the best of the gothic group...the intertwined S, O, and X were meant to go together. Simplicity for this one comes in black being the only overriding color

BEARS: It's elegant: wishbone C, orange on dark blue. Again simple and like the others, totally recognizable....least embellished of the city initial group (NYG, SF, GB, etc.) of the NFL logos.

BULLS: That stern looking symmetrical bull has that unforgetable touch of blood on the points of the horns. Talk about creating a sense of power

BLACKHAWKS: No major sport put its oldest franchises, the Original Six, on such a pedestal as the NHL. The native head profile obviously came with pride from another era, but again, it has that classic look that keeps it fresh and contemporary even today.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:44 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,708,512 times
MINNESOTA.

ALL OF OUR 4 MAJOR FRANCHISES ARE CALLED 'MINNESOTA'.

Not Minneapolis, not St. Paul, just Minnesota.

It is interesting that the Twins' hat is TC, for 'Twin Cities' and the Lakers were once the Minneapolis Lakers before moving to LA..

How

Old 06-30-2010, 12:50 PM

8,982 posts, read 17,305,883 times
I am not going to lie, this thread makes no sense to me.

Indianapolis has two major league teams:

A blue horseshoe for the Colts. Very simple, very old fashioned, very awesome.

a blue and gold P with a basketball for the Pacers. Very, NBA shall we say.

The AAA team, the Indians, has a "double I" logo. It is a pretty silly looking logo if you don't notice the I theme. Once you notice the I theme, it is not bad. The Indianapolis Indians are the oldest, or one of the oldest I don't remember which, minor league franchise.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cann View Post
MINNESOTA.

ALL OF OUR 4 MAJOR FRANCHISES ARE CALLED 'MINNESOTA'.

Not Minneapolis, not St. Paul, just Minnesota.

It is interesting that the Twins' hat is TC, for 'Twin Cities' and the Lakers were once the Minneapolis Lakers before moving to LA..

How
the real classic was the first M and StP shaking hands across the Mississippi. What a smart move to make that one of the highlights at Target Field.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am not going to lie, this thread makes no sense to me.
The only sense I had in mind was....

have a little fun with something thoroughly unimportant.

I had little allusion that this would stop the oil gushing in the gulf or end the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq, or even help dicipher exactly what it is the tea baggers are complaining about (and why they insist on having tea bags hang from their hats).

No reason to lie, Toxic. Always feel free to opt out of any thread I start if it doesn't interest you. I won't be offended.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:33 PM

7,554 posts, read 7,105,320 times
with the exception of my football team (the Oakland Raiders) I am Boston all the way

the Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics all have excellent logo's, but I like the B's and the Sox slightly more than the Celts.

Only becaus ethe Red Sox switched there logo recently I will give the Boston logo crown to the Boston Bruins.

http://pages.videotron.com/tomness/i...sawnxxvehf.gif

Old 06-30-2010, 11:14 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,356,827 times
I'm not casting my vote right now, but I have to say that the Bay Area comes out alright in this category. Right on. Warriors really picked it back up with their new one shown a couple weeks ago. Same with the current Quakes logo.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:24 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,436,648 times
I will rate the logos on a 1-10 scale with 10 being best...

New York Area
Giants- 6, Jets-6, Yankees-7, Mets-5, Knicks-8, Nets-6, Rangers-9, Islanders-7, Devils-6 Red Bulls- 5
avg: 6.5

Chicago
Bears- 8, Cubs-9, White Sox-8, Bulls-2, Blackhawks-3, Fire-8
avg: 6.3

Los Angeles Area
Dodgers-5, Angels-8, Lakers-7, Clippers-3, Kings-8, Ducks-4, Galaxy-9, Chivas-10
avg: 6.8

Bay Area
Giants-7, Athletics-7, 49ers-7, Raiders-9, Warriors-7, Sharks-9, Earthquakes-10
avg: 8.0

Boston Area
Patriots-9, Red Sox-8, Celtics-10, Bruins-9, Revolution-8
avg: 8.8

Philadelphia
Eagles-5, Phillies-6, 76ers-8, Flyers-7, Union-10
avg: 7.2

Old 06-30-2010, 11:26 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,410,981 times
I don't get this thread. LOL

Here in PHX:
DBacks--Sedona Red and Sand
Coyotes--Similiar Colors. Sedona Red
Suns--Purple and Orange. They will never change these colors
Cardinals--Red and White. Traditional colors and they won't change them. Lucky the red blends in well with the region.

Sun Devils--Cartoonish really. Maroon and Gold. The Maroon is brown...and the Gold looks like Pee pee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports