Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:44 PM

450 posts, read 2,055,838 times

Advertisements

Earlier thread was that I was looking for a spring in the big spring country of the Ozarks. Well, I think I have a motivated seller and have offered 33K for 5 acres north of Willow Springs near the south Prong of the Jacks Fork river. Nestled in the hills with some pasture land with two spring-fed streams passing through the property on gravel beds. House that needs work and a rather nice barn. Big thing is an artesian well that flows year-round supplying water to the house and overflowing into one of the streams. Nice paved county road access with electric and septic. If anyone knows about that country let me know. It is just over the line from Howell County and into Texas County. I believe the people I am dealing with are honest about the artesian well as being a year-round "gusher" or producer. It is the live water that most interests me. You can google: gushing artesian well 5 acres Missouri and you should get it. It is offered by Mossy Oak properties.

Kurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:58 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
Is that the asking price? Honestly, that sounds quite high in price.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Default Asking price is 40K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Is that the asking price? Honestly, that sounds quite high in price.
I want a hideaway that is accessible by paved road and already has utilities and includes year-round live water. I'm really paying for what I am told is one of the best flowing artesian wells in the area. The karst geology is very good in the area to sustain live water. I am told it overflows into the nearby stream and could be caught in a pond or simply let run as a perennial brook. Seller is not so motivated as to let it go in the 20s so I have upped it into the lower 30s as I just want that live water. There are two spring-fed streams that meet on the land in back of the cabin. These, I would think, probably are not flowing during dry periods. The property backs up to a steep hillside and is sheltered in a hollow. There are no houses nearby as it is mostly wood or pasture land. There has been a fair amount of interest in it. As a native, I know you see it as high-priced. I'm paying a premium for the land--I agree--but it is that live water I am after. Of course, if the well should run dry, I am out of pocket--but we all take risks. Thanks for your post.

Kurt.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:13 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,857,122 times
Can't add any info on the area or property but I checked out the listing and it sure is pretty.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:43 PM

Default Yeah, it is a beautiful area/Offer price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Can't add any info on the area or property but I checked out the listing and it sure is pretty.
Hey, Misplaced! I think I will hold firm on my offer or at least not go up much more. The house needs work but the out building barn is nice. It is a great location and not far from medical and Walmart! If I buy it I think I will just let it sit until I see how my other investments do. I have lakefront in NW Louisiana but I may have too much capital tied up in it and have to move to more modest digs. That's what got me thinking. If I do have to down-size why not do so in a beautiful area so I can at least have spectacular scenery while living in a little cabin. If I could pick up some adjacent acreage for a good price it would make it a better investment. And I just like the idea of that artesian well and the live water! Be a bummer if that stopped flowing, but as I say it has been going strong for a long time and you have to take some risks in life. Thanks for your reply. Still looking for someone who knows the area.

Kurt.

Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
What kind of work does the cabin need? Have you had it inspected?

Old 08-27-2010, 11:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Ya gotta watch them Artesians, dontcha know. Tricky li'l devils they are. Them gushin' ones are probably only telling ya what ya want ta hear!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
What kind of work does the cabin need? Have you had it inspected?
Great question. I just go some pics of the cabin and it looks more like a hunting camp than a cabin. Very crude. And, get this, the owner hasn't been on the property for 4 years and admits that the renters have been hard on the place. I asked about the gas stove and he did not even know if there was a propane tank on the place! So I think the only building of value is the barn. I have withdrawn my offer and will not get interested again until I find out more about the artesian well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ya gotta watch them Artesians, dontcha know. Tricky li'l devils they are. Them gushin' ones are probably only telling ya what ya want ta hear!
I told the broker I had to know the flow rate. That should be easy to measure--how many gallons a minute. And then be assured it was steady. I gave him some money for his time and effort so far--not really necessary I suppose but I felt bad that I withdrew my offer after thinking it over some. His time has value. He has enough to go up there and put a flow meter on it and have some left over. We shall see. It is clearly ove-priced and worth much less unless the flow rate is good--then maybe 30K.

Seriously, do artesians in the Ozarks have a history of drying up? I think this one dates to 2000.

Kurt

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 08-28-2010 at 08:30 PM..

Old 08-27-2010, 05:46 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Seriously, do artesians in the Ozarks have a history of drying up? I think this one dates to 2000.

Kurt
Well, we'uns declare open season on them dang Artesians about once a decade so these'uns mighta slipped through.

On a slightly serious note, there are springs in MO that have been spounting water forever at millions of gallons a day at least since the very early 1800s and still are. It's all about karst!

Twenty Largest Springs in Missouri

Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 PM

Thumbs up Great spring site! All about the karst!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, we'uns declare open season on them dang Artesians about once a decade so these'uns mighta slipped through.

On a slightly serious note, there are springs in MO that have been spounting water forever at millions of gallons a day at least since the very early 1800s and still are. It's all about karst!

Twenty Largest Springs in Missouri
I have visited this site before. The pics are incredible. I note that most of the springs are in Shannon County.

Yes, it is all about the karst! I just got an e-mail from the broker who says the flow is that of a garden hose turned "almost all of the way on." I asked him if that was about 3-4 gallons a minute? He has yet to reply. I think he is growing tired of my bagering him on it. But if you advertise "gushing artesian well" you should know what you are gushing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area