Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 AM

18 posts, read 53,208 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to relocate to the Springfield/Branson area in June in order to be closer to our son. I am interested in finding a good school district and have no idea where to start. Also, how is the educational field in Missouri? Are teachers being cut on a regular basis due to the poor economy? Are there jobs available for English/Theatre Arts teachers?

Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM

4 posts, read 5,872 times
I am also considering moving to Springfield for a possible teaching job. I am coming from Illinois, where teachers are being cut left and right. I will be graduating in May 2011 with a Bachelor's in Elementary (k-9) Education. I wonder if Missouri has more Title 1 teaching opportunities? I am also interested in Springfield because it is a college town; in case I would go back for my master's.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:23 PM

62 posts, read 130,130 times
As mentioned in another post, teachers and the administration are not doing their collective jobs.
The USA has slipped to 34th in World standards. Thats 33 countries teaching their children better than us.
The teachers and the administration are not getting the job done.
I used to hire graduates for Corporate positions and simply asked them to write a one page essay as to why I should hire them. No computer, no spell check and it was like reading an essay from 12 year olds. They were simply not being taught basic skills.
Until we improve the system and the level of teaching our children will continue to be dumbed down. 34th in the world is not news, we have been on the slide for 20 years.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:57 AM

18 posts, read 53,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsred View Post
As mentioned in another post, teachers and the administration are not doing their collective jobs.
The USA has slipped to 34th in World standards. Thats 33 countries teaching their children better than us.
I used to hire graduates for Corporate positions and simply asked them to write a one page essay as to why I should hire them. No computer, no spell check and it was like reading an essay from 12 year olds. They were simply not being taught basic skills.
Until we improve the system and the level of teaching our children will continue to be dumbed down. 34th in the world is not news, we have been on the slide for 20 years.

As an English teacher, I feel your pain about writing from "12-year olds." although my own writing may not be perfect, nor as creative as it most likely should be at times, I can understand your frustration.

I feel one of the problems here in the U.S. is that too many teachers are letting students "slip by" in the system. I was recently told by my department chair that I was being too tough on my seniors because I required them to write a 10-page essay over an eight month period. Give me a break! I am taking them step-by-step through the process! In college they will have the same assignment in a 1-2 week time period!

In California, so much of the focus is on testing that they have forgotten to teach the basic skills and teach only to a test. Although I come from a school with the highest academic performance index in eight counties, I still wonder at times how we attain that status when I look at student work. Our students can take a test, but when it comes to writing, reading, or critical thinking they fall short.

By the way, I would love to take your test and write a persuasive essay as to why I would be the best candidate for a position with your company.

Soon to be in Missouri,
RHW

Old 12-17-2010, 11:51 PM

62 posts, read 130,130 times
Default Class reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LdyJzz64 View Post
As an English teacher, I feel your pain about writing from "12-year olds." although my own writing may not be perfect, nor as creative as it most likely should be at times, I can understand your frustration.

I feel one of the problems here in the U.S. is that too many teachers are letting students "slip by" in the system. I was recently told by my department chair that I was being too tough on my seniors because I required them to write a 10-page essay over an eight month period. Give me a break! I am taking them step-by-step through the process! In college they will have the same assignment in a 1-2 week time period!

In California, so much of the focus is on testing that they have forgotten to teach the basic skills and teach only to a test. Although I come from a school with the highest academic performance index in eight counties, I still wonder at times how we attain that status when I look at student work. Our students can take a test, but when it comes to writing, reading, or critical thinking they fall short.

By the way, I would love to take your test and write a persuasive essay as to why I would be the best candidate for a position with your company.

Soon to be in Missouri,
RHW
An excellent reply, no need for an essay, you have the job !!!
As a tutoral aside, I had an applicant who tore up the essay paper, threw it away and said " I will debate you for 15 minutes on the topic ". I hired her, she was brilliant and our best employee for 5 years. The amazing thing was, she was from Iowa and taught in Montana, however a genuine free spirit, an American.
The essay for the job was on International gem trading, I will say no more.
The "slip by" comment did not miss my attention and unfortunately it incurs racial connotations. This forum has limitations in that regard.......... its a matter of choice.
cgsred.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:42 PM

879 posts, read 2,879,442 times
Default more than 20 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgsred View Post
I believe our education system, at all levels, has been slipping for more than 20 years. I went back to college as an adult in the 80's in the St. Louis area.
I was shocked at the lack of skills in the areas of math and spelling. Fellow freshman students didn't know the difference between the spelling of words that sounded alike but were spelled differently (waist and waste for example).
More importantly, they did not even care. Look it up in a dictionary? Not a chance. Add and substract? yes. Fractions...not a chance. Then there is the whole "life skill" issue. Balance a check book? Understand credit? Nope.
I can't say it's just a school issue...this is an issue for society as a whole.

Starts with parents, goes to teachers/administrators/school boards, and then the rest of us....corporations, businesses, individuals who influence our youth.

Ever go to a college to see who is signing up for the advanced math, computer, and engineering classes. It's an eye opener.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:27 PM

32 posts, read 54,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
I believe our education system, at all levels, has been slipping for more than 20 years. I went back to college as an adult in the 80's in the St. Louis area.
I was shocked at the lack of skills in the areas of math and spelling. Fellow freshman students didn't know the difference between the spelling of words that sounded alike but were spelled differently (waist and waste for example).
More importantly, they did not even care. Look it up in a dictionary? Not a chance. Add and substract? yes. Fractions...not a chance. Then there is the whole "life skill" issue. Balance a check book? Understand credit? Nope.
I can't say it's just a school issue...this is an issue for society as a whole.

Starts with parents, goes to teachers/administrators/school boards, and then the rest of us....corporations, businesses, individuals who influence our youth.

Ever go to a college to see who is signing up for the advanced math, computer, and engineering classes. It's an eye opener.
I really don't know if this is a valid argument. People have been saying this for as long as I can remember. They said that my generation was going to be the end of civilization with our heavy metal music and lethargy. I had to sit back for over 20 years and listen to how no one in my generation had the basic skills to make it. No one could balance a bank account, show up for work on time, get out of bed before 1:00 PM, make breakfast or feed ourselves. Guess what when I got out in to the work force I met lots of people who were more than capable of doing all those things and more. The people who couldn't ended up living down at the Coachlight trailer park and waiting on their wlefare checks to buy dope. In turn everyone was saying the same thing about my brother's generation and they are the ones working and paying taxes now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area