Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 AM

21 posts, read 53,080 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice on some areas in southern MO. I'm in WI right now, and with all the cuts that are coming to education I'm just ready to get out of here. I have a 5.5 yr old child and I'm trying to find an area with excellent education for her. I'm looking for an area probably around the Branson area, since the company I currently work for does have a retail store there that I could hopefully transfer to. We do have other locations too if need be, if education is better elsewhere, but the fun in Branson is definitely enticing if this area does have great schools.

I've read numerous times about Ozark being recommended, does anyone have more information on this city? How is it all around.... crime, fun, cost of living, population, etc? I'm a single mom under 30 so I need a SAFE, decent-priced city.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 10:12 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,466,118 times
City-Data is a great place to start (click on City-Data.com at the top of the page and enter whatever town or city you want to know about) and Ozark is, in MO-speak, is raht cheer:

//www.city-data.com/city/Ozark-Missouri.html

After cities in WI, this area will seem safer and saner than what you're probably used to.

I'll let others comment on schools sine our children are grown, long gone and in other states.

Good luck!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:19 PM

9 posts, read 11,830 times
"After all the cuts coming to education"? Funny, but right now WI spends more per child in public education than most states and has nothing to show for it. In fact, study after study shows that kids' education quality isn't correlated to how much is spent on them at all. It's funny how we used to be able to educate kids for a tiny fraction of what we spend now (in real, inflation-adjusted dollars) and get better results - maybe it's because public schools place as much emphasis on indoctrination as they do on actual education.

Not to mention that public employees' total compensation (meaning including their incredible benefits and more incredible pensions) dwarf what the private sector pays and the fact is that states are simply flat-broke and taxpayers bled dry.

Sorry for the mini-rant. We're also moving from WI to MO, partly to escape the massive taxes.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,369 times
Feel free to check out Jackson, Missouri too (But it's in the SE part of the state, not by Springfield or anything.)

Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,876 times
Ozark has about 10,000 people, not a lot of things to do unless you drive to Springfield or Branson.
Schools are alright. The Jr. High and High School has a lot of drug use.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM

99 posts, read 231,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candikane View Post
I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice on some areas in southern MO. I'm in WI right now, and with all the cuts that are coming to education I'm just ready to get out of here. I have a 5.5 yr old child and I'm trying to find an area with excellent education for her. I'm looking for an area probably around the Branson area, since the company I currently work for does have a retail store there that I could hopefully transfer to. We do have other locations too if need be, if education is better elsewhere, but the fun in Branson is definitely enticing if this area does have great schools.

I've read numerous times about Ozark being recommended, does anyone have more information on this city? How is it all around.... crime, fun, cost of living, population, etc? I'm a single mom under 30 so I need a SAFE, decent-priced city.

Lived there for a year before moving to nearby Springfield.

Geography is the great "enemy."

Bad traffic that is destined to grow worse, especially as population increases, even if the transportation infrastructure continues to develop (as is being done but the geographical restrictions remain as seen in the New York City area, the San Francisco Bay area, etc.).

Hills, ridges, the Finley River (more of a BIG creek until the rain hits...) and that's another future threat; as more land is covered by non-permeable covering the run-off that is now absorbed to a certain extent, slowing run-off into the drainage system, will flow unimpeded directly into the drainage system resulting in a larger Finley and its sub-systems that may cause future increased flooding problems even where none now occur. Past experience will not be a future predictor.

I do not believe ENOUGH study or attention has been given to this future problem area. General talk, yes. But actually preparing for the future? Typical excuse.... no funds yet the future post-event fixes that will be immensely more costly than now and even more intrusive upon the public WILL need to be done..... after the fact as other areas have learned; even MANY years ago BUT.... will the local powers-that-be learn from others' mistakes?

NOPE.

Same with traffic. The major metro areas of the past who had to return and upgrade and renew, doing so at a HUGE taxpayer expense should be an obvious alarm but as with areas other than Ozark, the warning has been evident yet the back-burner is where the future "real" problem is shoved.

Future finances will be no better, perhaps even worse than now but ignoring reality is one of the drawbacks of the so-called "leadership" whose long-term views are limited to perhaps the next few months.

Will it take a massive future flood that could result in BILLIONS of dollars and damages a HUGE number of lost lives be the result?

Such events HAVE occurred in so many other locales yet even that warning sign is ignored.

Ozark is not alone in this "blindness" but be aware of past and current affairs and the likely future events not being planned for now.

Most of the geographical limitations ARE not changeable but current planning omits even non-cost statutes/rules/limitations that can be done at no to little cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why?????

Well, as is typical for most locales here, there and elsewhere..............

profit now is what is important.

Something that inhibits current or anticipated future profit is BLASPHEMY!!!!!!!!!

Prior proper planning prevents pi$$ poor performance.

Logical but as the Ferengi act and believe.... can there be anything more important than profit?

Nope. Not even human lives can be of more importance.

Some of the movement restrictions due to geographical features can not be avoided; no matter what the expenditure. Just a reality.

Sigh................

One basically needs to view the terrain with a trained or semi-trained eye to comprehend what I am trying to convey.

Visit, see what's there now then envision a doubled or triple or even more local populace.

Then understand what I am trying to convey via the restrictions inherent with written words.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 PM
koi

18 posts, read 40,993 times
An excellent education in southern Missouri? "Excellent education" in the Ozarks means crazy Fundamentalist Christian homeschooling, where the Old Testament is substituted for Science, and you teach your children the intricacies of how to subtly teach the world they are going to hell unless they adapt your beliefs.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:03 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koi View Post
An excellent education in southern Missouri? "Excellent education" in the Ozarks means crazy Fundamentalist Christian homeschooling, where the Old Testament is substituted for Science, and you teach your children the intricacies of how to subtly teach the world they are going to hell unless they adapt your beliefs.
Quite the hateful post right there.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candikane View Post

Hi Candikane...welcome to the wide wonderful world of online opinions...

I moved from a west-coast urban area to SW MO when my children were grammar/middle school age. It was a good move for them in many ways. The schools out west were installing metal detectors in the Jr. Hi's because of all the weapons showing up with the cute little tykes in their Batman lunch pails. Not so here. The pressure to wear certain labels, certain styles, certain colors (or not!) was horrendous there. Not so here. The biggest adjustment you will have is if you are coming from a large metropolitan area to a small town.

I live near Branson in a rural part of Table Rock Lake. I see the families with young children playing at the lake, enjoying the fun parks, growing up in one of the most desirable vacation destinations in the nation...and even tho we don't have some of the amenities like museums 'n things, the trade-off works for lots of people. If you have figured out how to make a living here, which is the biggest challenge, then my vote would be to plan your visit, talk to some of the locals, interview the schools. They're great about giving personal tours and answering all the questions that you, as a parent, must have about academics, sports, etc.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 06-15-2011, 05:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,081 times
Default Branson Area

My wife and I are likely moving to the Branson area early next year. We have visited many times and have enjoyed it greatly. In Branson itself there are tons of things to do and you will also be close to all the Table Rock Lake activities and Silver Dollar City. We have had a few friends that have lived and still live there. I went to college with an older student (this was only 4 yrs ago) who took a job there partly because he had a son in early high school. He did lots of research and was very pleased with the schools there. Branson is a beautiful area and having traveled across the country I will say that the home prices etc are very reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area