Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,142,600 times

Advertisements

As much as I love the Branson area, it annoys me to no end that employers REFUSE to pay a living wage. Here is an example of a recent craigslist advertisement to illustrate my point...

Phone Room Administrative Assistant (Branson)

Local Travel agency on strip seeks responsible and diligent Administrative Assistant for call center. If you are an experienced Admin Assistant with excellent organization and computer skills, we need you! Main responsibilities include entering data; generating daily sales reports; and solicitor reports, handling billing, and filing and processing paperwork. At least two years experience and knowledge of Word and Excel required.

Self motivator, and able to work independently in fun atmosphere with great people.

Hours: Monday through Friday 9am to 4pm.

please leave name and number if you are interested. Will be in contacting asap. Thank you!

Compensation: Starting pay: $8.00 an hour with bonus possibilities

EIGHT DOLLARS AN HOUR??????? EIGHT DOLLARS AND HOUR??????????

Please, people pay a living wage.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 08:39 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,185 times
Whats the problem you get to work independently in fun atmosphere with great people.

Truth I have to agree its been years since my wife has worked for more than $8 an hour.

brushrunner

Old 08-07-2010, 05:55 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
What should the job pay?? The only requirements are Excel and Word. They may not be paying much, but they're also not asking for a large skill set.

Old 08-07-2010, 06:51 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,196,736 times
They are asking for an 8 hour a day, 40 hour a week committment.

That alone should be worth more than a measly $8 an hour.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:48 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,407,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
They are asking for an 8 hour a day, 40 hour a week committment.

That alone should be worth more than a measly $8 an hour.
Yes and if people will notice the price of stuff is not going down.Heck its been 30 years since I made $8 an hour.Heck I make more than that with my pension

brushrunner

Old 08-08-2010, 06:14 AM

12,540 posts, read 2,139,265 times
I'll do you one better...the only job I could find in the rural area I currently live in pays $7.35, no benefits, and no I can't live on it. That's why I'm moving.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:40 AM

694 posts, read 1,357,410 times
George Carlin explains why in 3 minutes - warning - if your offended by raw language do not play this

YouTube - ‪George Carlin -"Who Really Controls America"‬‎

Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,149,836 times
Love the video, and believe that corporate exploitation of the average worker is escalating, and when laws are made to protect the little guy, the corporations outsource their workforce to a foreign country where they can continue to exploit the workers. Average Wall Street bonuses for 2009 were up 17 percent when compared to 2008. (Finance: Yahoo.com)

Old 08-08-2010, 10:57 AM

879 posts, read 2,879,708 times
Default Hourly pay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
As much as I love the Branson area, it annoys me to no end that employers REFUSE to pay a living wage. Here is an example of a recent craigslist advertisement to illustrate my point...

Phone Room Administrative Assistant (Branson)

Local Travel agency on strip seeks responsible and diligent Administrative Assistant for call center. If you are an experienced Admin Assistant with excellent organization and computer skills, we need you! Main responsibilities include entering data; generating daily sales reports; and solicitor reports, handling billing, and filing and processing paperwork. At least two years experience and knowledge of Word and Excel required.

Self motivator, and able to work independently in fun atmosphere with great people.

Hours: Monday through Friday 9am to 4pm.

please leave name and number if you are interested. Will be in contacting asap. Thank you!

Compensation: Starting pay: $8.00 an hour with bonus possibilities

EIGHT DOLLARS AN HOUR??????? EIGHT DOLLARS AND HOUR??????????

Please, people pay a living wage.

20yrsinBranson
I have to ask....what is the State minimum wage? Isn't $8/hr higher than min?. Doesn't look like the job doesn't even requires a HS diploma. What "should" the pay be for this type of job? I know $16,000 Yr. isn't great money, but what are the benefits? Dental, Medical?....that could be
worth 10K tax free. Plus employers post the "ideal" experience, but often will take much less. What would this position pay you lived in someplace else about the same size of Branson in the mid-west?

Old 08-08-2010, 12:58 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
With so many young folks in our area with no ambition to get educated past high school, there are plenty of folks to compete for that job, even though it only pays $8/hour. It beats flipping burgers.

Occasionally I'll run out for lunch from work, to a local fast food place. There's a few in the town I work in. 90% of the time I am waited on by a person (a woman 3/4 of the time) who has a professional demeanor, excellent customer service skills, is between the ages of 35 - 50, and could otherwise fit into
an office setting. But, jobs are few and far between, and employers can pick the best of the best.

Back in New Jersey, such jobs were often held by high school students, illegal immigrants and people on parole who couldn't work elsewhere.

When I first graduated with my B.A., I got a job in my field making a whopping $10/hour (and that's east coast wages). B.A.s fresh out of school are a dime a dozen.

I guess my point is, employers pay whatever they can get away with, and still get *somewhat* qualified staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area