Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,910 times

Advertisements

Jammer I saw that neighborhood of yours and I was drooling. Soo beautiful!! Tell me about Nixa. Main concern would be flooding as I see its close to the James river ( is that right?) I seen a house for sale on N nelson mill road. It looked o.k but close to that river. We were thinking about Farmington but I see springfield is close. Springfield may have more jobs to offer. Please tell me the pros and cons of Nixa. Tornados included ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:00 AM

138 posts, read 506,813 times
Default Me Too

bentaxelcrew,
what a strange name. I too am searching for Nixa/ Ozark information. However, I don't seem to get much response.

Try entering Nixa, MO profile and there is quite a bit. Also, don't miss Ozark. I like the size and the nearness to Nixa and Springfield.

gptaz

Old 08-07-2007, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gptaz View Post
bentaxelcrew,
what a strange name. I too am searching for Nixa/ Ozark information. However, I don't seem to get much response.

Try entering Nixa, MO profile and there is quite a bit. Also, don't miss Ozark. I like the size and the nearness to Nixa and Springfield.

gptaz
LOL Ill explain the name. My husband and I love to ride our quads. After he taught me how to ride and jump, one of us bent the rear axle. The guy we bought a new axle from told us they were strong and almost impossible to bend. Well not even a month later he bent the second one. After the third we found one that was even stronger and weve had gool luck with it. SO jokingly we named oursevles the bent axle crew.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:57 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
I live in Nixa and would be happy to answer any questions.

To address the one mentioned, the James/Finley Rivers do NOT run through the town of Nixa at all. Flooding is not a concern, unless one were foolish enough to buy some property right along the river (outside of town) and build a home...good luck getting a bank to loan money on that one! In all seriousness, Nixa is a great place to live. I'm about 15 minutes from Springfield, yet enjoy a more rural environment a few miles outside the city limits of Nixa. Nixa has a Wal-Mart supercenter and all of the other features that you'd expect to find in a town of more than 12,000 people.

Christian County (where Nixa and Ozark are located) is one of the 50 fastest-growing counties in the United States.

Last edited by 8 SNAKE; 08-07-2007 at 02:14 PM..

Old 08-07-2007, 01:03 PM

13 posts, read 58,020 times
I signed up so I could answer you. My wife and I (and now are little boy) have been living in nixa for about 5 years.

I however have been in the area my whole life so I can tell you all about this area.

We love Nixa as a town so I'll list the pro's and cons.

Pro's:

1. If you have kids the Nixa school district is one of the best in the area. My wife works with kids so she knows. The schools look more like universities IMO. Plenty of programs etc and they are on top of today's technology so our kids aren't lost when they go out into the world. I don't know first hand yet as our boy is only 8 months old but all I hear is good things. There are many choices for schools as far as elementary goes.

2. Growth with the somewhat small town feel. I grew up in a really small town with nothing so we have to eat/shop etc in Springfield all the time. The nice thing about Nixa is that if you really don't want to leave you don't have to. Nixa has many nice ammenties like Very Nice Hospital Size Urgent Care Facility, Community Center with workout gym and community pool, many restaurants with more coming in every day that include big names like: Ruby Tuesday, McAlisters, Subway, Sonic, KFC, Tons of Pizza, Applebee's, Braums and more. More restaurants are on the way.

We have a walmart supercenter, grocery store, and several clothing and specialty stores.

One things I heard is that Nixa is not growing so fast with residential and small commercial now so they are focusing on trying to get some bix box retailers in town.

You still however have the small town things like every year we have a celebration called Sucker Days where they close Main Street and have a huge fix fry and carnival all day along with a parade. We went for the first time this year and had fun.

3. Not sure if you've heard of Branson, MO but Nixa is about a 35 minute drive from Branson which is great tourist destination and place to go eat or shop. You have the Branson Landing which is amazing and places to take kids like Silver Dollar City (A.K.A. Steal Your Dollar City) But it's fun. Also Table Rock Lake is in the Branson area so fun in the sun is not very far off either.

Cons:

1. Property Taxes are one of the higher taxes in the area but you see where it goes in the great school system.

2. TRAFFIC!!!! This is my major gripe. I'm not a patient person and as you've seen the towns have blew up in the past few years and the roads have trouble keeping up. It's not that bad except during Rush Hour. It took some getting used to but I'm ok with it now. There are a few shortcuts you can take to get to Springfield but really there are only a couple major roads.

They plan to extend one of the major Springfield road to Nixa to elevate some of the traffic but that is years off

Those are the two main cons. Crime is as you would expect anywhere. I haven't heard much about gangs in Nixa so I think we are good there. Christian County which houses Nixa, Ozark and a few others towns is known to have a higher Meth issue that others for some reason but you rarely hear about it. We had one teacher get busted with some in her desk a year or so ago and she was fired on the spot.

There are also several daycares.

I heard someone mention building codes and Christian County does not have any but the City Limits of Nixa and Ozark have had them for awhile so you don't need to worry if you buying inside the city limits. We are voting in a few days to make all of Christian County have codes though.

If I've forgotten anything or you want to know something else just ask.

Here are some sites of interest.

Main Nixa Site
Nixa Area Chamber of Commerce - Home

City of Nixa Site
City of Nixa Missouri: Official City of Nixa Missouri Web Site

Old 08-07-2007, 01:09 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
Jammer I saw that neighborhood of yours and I was drooling. Soo beautiful!! Tell me about Nixa. Main concern would be flooding as I see its close to the James river ( is that right?) I seen a house for sale on N nelson mill road. It looked o.k but close to that river. We were thinking about Farmington but I see springfield is close. Springfield may have more jobs to offer. Please tell me the pros and cons of Nixa. Tornados included ?
After looking at 50-60 houses all over this area we chose an area just a few miles outside Nixa city proper. The taxes are a bit lower and I really didn't want to be "in town". I'm certainly not worried about flooding where we are but I don't really know about the area you've mentioned. We are close enough to the Finley River that I can hear it while standing on the deck in the evening but it is well below our property so I can't ever see an issue with it. I know Nixa has been hit with tornadoes in the past but the area we are in hasn't as far back as any of the old timers can remember.

There really isn't anything spectacular about the town but it seems to be growing quite rapidly and I suspect the population is somewhere north of 15-18,000. The proximity to Springfield (jobs, shopping and restaurants) and Branson (great entertainment and restaurants) makes it a great place to hang out. The town itself has just about everything you would need without leaving the city as far as shopping and chowing down but there are limitations especially with variety when eating out and that is why it is handy to be so close to Springfield.

Our experience with the schools has been great so far especially the fact that they aren't jammed to the hilt like so CA. Our daughter will be starting high school in a few days and there are less than 1100 kids in the entire school compared to 4000 had we stayed in CA. They take their schools pretty seriously in this area. I saw the wife's parents tax bill for last year...total $2200 and $1500 was for Nixa schools alone!! She has fit in very well here and she has a ton of buddies...hence her cell phone bill with 700 text messages last month!

Crime is very low in Nixa, I think there was one murder in the last three years (some idiot shot his wife) or some such number. I haven't seen ANY kind of gang type activity anywhere around here and living in the Inland Empire area of so CA for 27 years believe me I know what to look for. The drivers for the most part are courteous and many wave at you when you drive by. Even around the schools there is a sense of cooperation amongst the parents coming and going. That took me awhile to get used to!

Really what you need to do is make a trip out here and drive around. Pictures on the 'net cannot possibly capture the beauty and feel for what we have in SWMO. If you have any questions about houses/property in the Nixa area just let me know the addy and I'll be happy to check it out and take some pics for yaz!

edit: looks like a few have posted while I has hen pecking on my puter! Keep in mind my observations are made with the experience of living in that mess of so CA and then coming here to this cool little town. Those that have lived here most/all of their lives will certainly see things somewhat differently than us newbies!

Last edited by da jammer; 08-07-2007 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
After looking at 50-60 houses all over this area we chose an area just a few miles outside Nixa city proper. The taxes are a bit lower and I really didn't want to be "in town". I'm certainly not worried about flooding where we are but I don't really know about the area you've mentioned. We are close enough to the Finley River that I can hear it while standing on the deck in the evening but it is well below our property so I can't ever see an issue with it. I know Nixa has been hit with tornadoes in the past but the area we are in hasn't as far back as any of the old timers can remember.

There really isn't anything spectacular about the town but it seems to be growing quite rapidly and I suspect the population is somewhere north of 15-18,000. The proximity to Springfield (jobs, shopping and restaurants) and Branson (great entertainment and restaurants) makes it a great place to hang out. The town itself has just about everything you would need without leaving the city as far as shopping and chowing down but there are limitations especially with variety when eating out and that is why it is handy to be so close to Springfield.

Our experience with the schools has been great so far especially the fact that they aren't jammed to the hilt like so CA. Our daughter will be starting high school in a few days and there are less than 1100 kids in the entire school compared to 4000 had we stayed in CA. They take their schools pretty seriously in this area. I saw the wife's parents tax bill for last year...total $2200 and $1500 was for Nixa schools alone!! She has fit in very well here and she has a ton of buddies...hence her cell phone bill with 700 text messages last month!

Crime is very low in Nixa, I think there was one murder in the last three years (some idiot shot his wife) or some such number. I haven't seen ANY kind of gang type activity anywhere around here and living in the Inland Empire area of so CA for 27 years believe me I know what to look for. The drivers for the most part are courteous and many wave at you when you drive by. Even around the schools there is a sense of cooperation amongst the parents coming and going. That took me awhile to get used to!

Really what you need to do is make a trip out here and drive around. Pictures on the 'net cannot possibly capture the beauty and feel for what we have in SWMO. If you have any questions about houses/property in the Nixa area just let me know the addy and I'll be happy to check it out and take some pics for yaz!

edit: looks like a few have posted while I has hen pecking on my puter! Keep in mind my observations are made with the experience of living in that mess of so CA and then coming here to this cool little town. Those that have lived here most/all of their lives will certainly see things somewhat differently than us newbies!
I hear ya! That one person posting prior to you mentioned traffic. It couldnt be worse then the Inland Empire Could it? BTW thanks for all the info.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlu929s View Post
I signed up so I could answer you. My wife and I (and now are little boy) have been living in nixa for about 5 years.

I however have been in the area my whole life so I can tell you all about this area.

We love Nixa as a town so I'll list the pro's and cons.

Pro's:

1. If you have kids the Nixa school district is one of the best in the area. My wife works with kids so she knows. The schools look more like universities IMO. Plenty of programs etc and they are on top of today's technology so our kids aren't lost when they go out into the world. I don't know first hand yet as our boy is only 8 months old but all I hear is good things. There are many choices for schools as far as elementary goes.

2. Growth with the somewhat small town feel. I grew up in a really small town with nothing so we have to eat/shop etc in Springfield all the time. The nice thing about Nixa is that if you really don't want to leave you don't have to. Nixa has many nice ammenties like Very Nice Hospital Size Urgent Care Facility, Community Center with workout gym and community pool, many restaurants with more coming in every day that include big names like: Ruby Tuesday, McAlisters, Subway, Sonic, KFC, Tons of Pizza, Applebee's, Braums and more. More restaurants are on the way.

We have a walmart supercenter, grocery store, and several clothing and specialty stores.

One things I heard is that Nixa is not growing so fast with residential and small commercial now so they are focusing on trying to get some bix box retailers in town.

You still however have the small town things like every year we have a celebration called Sucker Days where they close Main Street and have a huge fix fry and carnival all day along with a parade. We went for the first time this year and had fun.

3. Not sure if you've heard of Branson, MO but Nixa is about a 35 minute drive from Branson which is great tourist destination and place to go eat or shop. You have the Branson Landing which is amazing and places to take kids like Silver Dollar City (A.K.A. Steal Your Dollar City) But it's fun. Also Table Rock Lake is in the Branson area so fun in the sun is not very far off either.

Cons:

1. Property Taxes are one of the higher taxes in the area but you see where it goes in the great school system.

2. TRAFFIC!!!! This is my major gripe. I'm not a patient person and as you've seen the towns have blew up in the past few years and the roads have trouble keeping up. It's not that bad except during Rush Hour. It took some getting used to but I'm ok with it now. There are a few shortcuts you can take to get to Springfield but really there are only a couple major roads.

They plan to extend one of the major Springfield road to Nixa to elevate some of the traffic but that is years off

Those are the two main cons. Crime is as you would expect anywhere. I haven't heard much about gangs in Nixa so I think we are good there. Christian County which houses Nixa, Ozark and a few others towns is known to have a higher Meth issue that others for some reason but you rarely hear about it. We had one teacher get busted with some in her desk a year or so ago and she was fired on the spot.

There are also several daycares.

I heard someone mention building codes and Christian County does not have any but the City Limits of Nixa and Ozark have had them for awhile so you don't need to worry if you buying inside the city limits. We are voting in a few days to make all of Christian County have codes though.

If I've forgotten anything or you want to know something else just ask.

Here are some sites of interest.

Main Nixa Site
Nixa Area Chamber of Commerce - Home

City of Nixa Site
City of Nixa Missouri: Official City of Nixa Missouri Web Site
How close to you was that tornado in 97 and 03? I think that was the years.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,426,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
I hear ya! That one person posting prior to you mentioned traffic. It couldnt be worse then the Inland Empire Could it? BTW thanks for all the info.
In my opinion, this is the toughest part of conveying information on the forum from one part of the country to another...it's all relative. Traffic here can be a bit frustrating, but frustrating to locals is sitting in a line of cars long enough to be at the same light twice...say 5 minutes.

5 o'clock traffic on weekdays does get fairly crowded, but it's not too bad. As an example, I drive from the far north side of Springfield to the south side of Nixa every day (26 miles each way) and my evening commute usually takes 35 minutes.

Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
In my opinion, this is the toughest part of conveying information on the forum from one part of the country to another...it's all relative. Traffic here can be a bit frustrating, but frustrating to locals is sitting in a line of cars long enough to be at the same light twice...say 5 minutes.

5 o'clock traffic on weekdays does get fairly crowded, but it's not too bad. As an example, I drive from the far north side of Springfield to the south side of Nixa every day (26 miles each way) and my evening commute usually takes 35 minutes.
I guess Your right. Its something I would have to personally drive myself. Everyone tells me I need to drive out and experience it and see it all for myself. Thats the only thing left for me to do. See you all soon. Good Night!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area