Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 AM

19 posts, read 48,318 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in West Plains. My family and I will be moving soon to the area. We don't want to live in town, but want to get an existing home with at least five acres. No concern about schools since my oldest is in college and my youngest is going next year. Both are or will be at Pensacola Christian College (PCC) in Florida. Any advice on rural real estate or other things a move-in should know? My wife was born and lived in Missouri (Jefferson County) until I married her. She is thrilled at going back to MO.

TIA

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 09:18 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
I just accepted a job in West Plains. My family and I will be moving soon to the area. We don't want to live in town, but want to get an existing home with at least five acres. No concern about schools since my oldest is in college and my youngest is going next year. Both are or will be at Pensacola Christian College (PCC) in Florida. Any advice on rural real estate or other things a move-in should know? My wife was born and lived in Missouri (Jefferson County) until I married her. She is thrilled at going back to MO.

TIA

Dave
If I had it to do over again, I would certainly purchase land with year around live water in the form of a spring or creek.

I would contact a well drilling company and have them check out the well, making sure that it is plenty deep enough and that the pump is in good working order, they are expensive.

It is smart to try to find property with some highway access. In the winter having to maneuver down dirt roads, that may or may not be plowed, can be difficult. Having a good road will ensure that you can get in and out in a hurry if you need to.

Speaking of Tornadoes. (LOL), if it didn't have a storm shelter, I'd make sure it had a good basement. Personally, the first thing I would do is put in a storm shelter if it didn't have one.

If you plan on having livestock, I'd check with the county to make sure there are not limits or restrictions. Lots of times you think, if you are out in the country that there are no limitations on anything, but often there are. For instance, there are some places where you cannot raise pigs or have big turkey barns. Just make sure you know and understand all the rules and regulations that apply to you BEFORE you pick a place.

If you get a really good realtor, they should be very helpful to you. But don't take anyone's word for ANYTHING. Demand to see it in writing. Lots of times people will spout off and not have a clue what they are talking about (you will find this to be the case at most courthouses, city halls, etc.) Be nice about it, but make sure you see any regulations FOR YOURSELF. The planning and zoning office for the county can help you with this also.

good luck. Missouri country living is great!

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-14-2011, 09:22 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post

TIA

Dave
If you have any trouble finding information, you may want to post this in the general Missouri forum. West Plains isn't exactly part of the Springfield area. Good luck!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:59 PM

20yrsinBranson,

Thank you for the many items of actionable info.

GunnerTHB,

I'll try the main MO thread as you suggest. Given the sub-categories offered, I thought the Springfield - Branson area was closest. Live and learn.

Thank you both for your help.

Dave

Old 10-03-2011, 11:48 AM

20yrsinBranson,

We just got back from a trip to MO. We went to visit my mother-in-law near Festus. We brought some things that the movers are not allowed to take on a PCS move under a GBL. On the way back we stopped overnight in West Plains and met up with a local realtor.

We liked two places we visited. One of them was on the Baker Realty site and nowhere else. The listing ran out in August, but the realtor went to school with the owner. She called him and set up a viewing for us.

The other place we liked even more. It has a pond, but the owner didn't know if it was spring fed. It is about 1/2 to 3/4 mile from a nice paved highway that leads into town. It would be a 15 minute drive to work for me and even less for my wife to Wal-Mart. I think her car is magnetically drawn there. So far, I haven't found livestock restrictions in Howell County. West Plains has them inside the city. I'm still waiting for my PCS orders to initiate moving.

If you have any other thoughts, I'd appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,

Dave

I'll also post this over on the general Missouri forum as GunnerTHB suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area