Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:19 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times

Advertisements

Still looking around as you can see Someone on another thread to look at Nixa? How do the two compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,195 times
Default I live in Ozark area...

I live between Ozark and Springfield. Ozark is in Christian County. Yes, there has been tremendous growth. We have been where we are for 8 years and the changes are tremendous. We went from nothing in the area to a huge supermarket and many fastfood and other small shops within a mile. We are north of Ozark. There is another thriving area south of Ozark with a Walmart and Lowes.

I don't think you can compare the traffic here with traffic in big cities. I lived in Austin, Texas, area and there is really traffic there. Hiway 65 is a nightmare during rush hours but okay the rest of time it's okay. Hiway 65 is from Springfield to Branson. Springfield has the problem that the streets are not designed for the population.

As far as the building codes you need to know something about the builders who build your house. Your problem would be in an area where there is a house that does not keep it's lawn up or parks vehicles around. There is no control to change it. Just watch the areas closely. Many times there will be a subdivision in the county and they set it up with covenants which control the area.

Where I am they will not allow a business in the area.(I'm in the county but in a subdivision with almost 2 acres.) Our neighbor tried it and they shut it down. I can have a business in my home as long as it does not take over 25% of my square footage. (I have one.) You also cannot post a sign in your yard.

I don't agree that you can't tell where Ozark or Nixa end and Springfield begins. We are heading that way but there are distinctive differences between the towns.

Austin to Round Rock to Pflugerville is a corrider where you can't tell the difference. I lived in Austin for almost 20 years. To me and others that have lived in both places, Springfield is Austin in the 80's. I look for the growth to continue. I hope it does not have the growth of the Austin area. Over a million in that area now.

jjabstract

Old 09-20-2006, 09:45 AM

What city/town do you live in? Where I live now, you canhave a new house next to a 80's house and lawn isn't taken care of. Builders would buy one 1/2 lot at a time (min 1/2 to build on) to avoid having to tap into city sewer.

So, no building codes nor code enforcement for lawns or junk cars in the yard?

Old 09-20-2006, 10:55 AM

278 posts, read 1,138,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Wow. That's pretty bad. I know if I said that needs to be changed I would here from you guys "here we go". But this is something to look into
like all things there is a good side and a bad side to this thought of no bulding codes .

Old 09-20-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntman58 View Post
like all things there is a good side and a bad side to this thought of no bulding codes .
What is the good? I only see bad coming from a town that has them.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 PM

278 posts, read 1,138,631 times
Two points each
Good with out = you can do what you want on your own land
Bad with = your neighbors can tell you what to do on your own land
Good with = you know your home is built right and safe
Bad with out = you do not know if your home is built safe or right.
All how you look at it some good things about codes some bad
I have lived in areas were you had to get permission to paint your house and they had to approve of the color. Same with how to land scrape it telling you how many and what kinds of plant you must have.
But then again I have seen homes painted colors I never would. Like purple with hot pink shutters. So some good some bad all how you look at it.

Old 09-21-2006, 04:53 PM

I think those are two different things. At least here in California they are. You have building inspection (how the house is built) then you have code enforcement (what color your house is, how many cars you have).

Old 10-08-2006, 12:17 AM

4 posts, read 13,595 times
Default I'm getting conflicting information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
Schools are very good and well supported by the community (which also means slightly higher taxes). Jobs are probably going to be in Springfield if you live in Ozark. It's less than 10 miles away.

Our area economy is thriving. Jobs should not be a problem for most people.
I have been to Springfield once and love it a lot. I like to relocate to the city, but based on comments I read from other websites, Springfield is not a healthy community. It is a "ghetto" type of community. Lots of meth. Traffic is horrible, and people are extremely rude on the roads. The schools are not good. Lots of rednecks, including the polices. Low paid jobs. The population is uneducated, and overall life quality is lacking.

Can't be all that bad? what's the real story down there? Thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 08:12 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubpojntxoog View Post
I have been to Springfield once and love it a lot. I like to relocate to the city, but based on comments I read from other websites, Springfield is not a healthy community. It is a "ghetto" type of community. Lots of meth. Traffic is horrible, and people are extremely rude on the roads. The schools are not good. Lots of rednecks, including the polices. Low paid jobs. The population is uneducated, and overall life quality is lacking.

Can't be all that bad? what's the real story down there? Thanks
None of this could be further from the truth ('cept one). I am not a Springfield native - moved here in 1999. I have lived in the KC area and Columbia and I like Springfield better than either.

We are a growing area with a thriving economy. There are good jobs to be had for anyone with any skills. We have great hospitals and colleges. The schools are really good by all accounts. I will send my kids to public schools here. Springfield also has many great restaurants, excellent entertainment venues, and great parks.

Like many cities, Springfield has two cities (at least) divided by north and south. North Springfield is more industrial in nature (dirty looking) and the demographic living there is marked by lower education, more crime and lower income. This is begining to change in some parts further north.

South Springfield is the opposite (by extremes) - from middle-class to extreme wealth. It is marked by low crime, high education and high income. And, incidentally, some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

Traffic in Springfield is bad from 7:15am-7:50am and again from 4:45pm to 5:20pm. Traffic around the mall is bad at Christmas time. Traffic is never as bad here as what I dealt with in KC on I-435 or I-70 or similar routes in STL.

I will have to give you one thing as being accurate, we have our share of rednecks. But I count myself among rednecks (I do own a shotgun, a rifle and a 4-wheel drive) so I consider it a positive about the area. Springfield is a Christian conservative area. And it is white - one of the least diverse areas in the country I would guess. I have black friends, gay friends and Jewish friends here, but they are in a small minority in each of their categories.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 AM

6 posts, read 17,103 times
Can I ask where it is you live? We were planning a move soon to the Springfield area but I want to live somewhere a little smaller than the city of Springfield. Any suggestions to smaller towns close enough to commute to and from Springfield for work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area