Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 12:33 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,659,925 times

Advertisements

I hear ya, Babyface!

So, how did you hear about the jobs you've checked into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 01:46 PM

104 posts, read 401,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
I hear ya, Babyface!

So, how did you hear about the jobs you've checked into?
I found them through Church, newspapers and online......I keep putting it out there by word of mouth but nobody seems to know anyone that's hiring

Trying to have faith ...

Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 PM

2,505 posts, read 6,152,360 times
Maybe City Data should start an Employment search engine as part of the available information.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambre View Post
Maybe City Data should start an Employment search engine as part of the available information.

I'm all for that!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:04 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,659,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceminerals View Post
I found them through Church, newspapers and online......I keep putting it out there by word of mouth but nobody seems to know anyone that's hiring

Trying to have faith ...
Good girl! Keep it up! Also, I think you're already doing this but remember not to "put God in a box", requiring that He do what He has done before. And don't forget that He has a plan...and it's a good one! (Jer. 29:11)

In the meanwhile, I'm adding you to my prayer list.
http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-4858-ange.gif (broken link)

Old 12-29-2007, 06:15 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,069,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyfaceminerals View Post
I have put in a fw job applications too. One place was very nice and we seemed to really hit it off but that was 6 wks ago and they are still running their ad!

At least one did call me back to tell me that the position was no longer a position that needed to be filled.

I would love to find a receptionist job and at this point, don't even care if I start out at min wage despite what I earned in CA. before.

~Blessings
I wish you all the best of luck, the job market is not the best in the area you're searching in if you've moved in from out of state (unless you have someone already there who can help you get hired). It's beautiful scenery, but ya gotta work to eat! Retirees have better luck since they don't have to find jobs.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgenealogy View Post
Good girl! Keep it up! Also, I think you're already doing this but remember not to "put God in a box", requiring that He do what He has done before. And don't forget that He has a plan...and it's a good one! (Jer. 29:11)

In the meanwhile, I'm adding you to my prayer list.
http://mediaphoto.doctissimo.fr/dossiers/t/a/tartalacreme/grands-smileys/TN-4858-ange.gif (broken link)
Aww...yes, I'm guessing that's the one where He says He knows the plans He has for me I was claiming that one all the way to MO, LOL!
Thank you so much for keeping me in your prayers! Much appreciated!

~Blessings!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I wish you all the best of luck, the job market is not the best in the area you're searching in if you've moved in from out of state (unless you have someone already there who can help you get hired). It's beautiful scenery, but ya gotta work to eat! Retirees have better luck since they don't have to find jobs.
Thanks for the best wishes katie!

~Blessings

Old 12-31-2007, 01:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,593 times
Smile It's not you ... it this stange employer mentality

I just stumbled on your post and wanted you to know that it is NOT you.

I moved my family here 2 1/2 years ago to help with a family member that was in ill health. I thought I shouldn't have any trouble getting a job because I have great references and am not afraid to work. My previous salary was 79k yr. I'm educated and have good skills for my line of work or I wouldn't have been paid that well in the past. Unfortunately my savings have been wiped out trying to survive here the last few years.

To make a long story short it took me 2 full years to get hired and the job I finally got pays a lousy 10 bucks an hour. (don't get me wrong I am very glad to have it... starving sucks) I kept track of all applications I filled out over the last 2 years and I had applied for over 430 other positions.... of which got a whopping 2 interviews, both which I tried to follow up on and never heard anything from the employer.
Employers here NEVER let you know what happens with a job. I think they just hire a relative and throw away all the applications.
.... I tried going to employers in person with resume in hand, but most won't even talk to you. Some (like MO-DOT) will let you fill out an application on a computer terminal (which you could do at home) but once you hit "submit" you may leave ,, nobody wants to talk to you. -- and you will never hear from them.

The employer mentality here is unreal... they wouldn't know a good employee if they fell over them.... this is very evident when you shop or eat in the restaurants ... the level and quality of customer service in SW Missouri is the worst I've seen anywhere in the USA -- and I'm fairly well traveled.
Furthermore when talking with people who have lived and worked in SW Missouri for many years the consensus is that Missouri employers don't give a crap about their employees and that is why mediocrity is the norm around here.
It's a real shame because this is a great place to live with exception to the employment and wage situation.

SO ---- DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL --- IT'S NOT YOU !!
I really hope that things work out for you.
As for me, I will be a great employee for my employer as long as I'm here but you can't survive on these poor wages so I'm looking to find a real paying job in other states.
(past 2 years of not having a job sure doesn't help on the resume)

Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,387,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imatkel View Post
I just stumbled on your post and wanted you to know that it is NOT you.

I moved my family here 2 1/2 years ago to help with a family member that was in ill health. I thought I shouldn't have any trouble getting a job because I have great references and am not afraid to work. My previous salary was 79k yr. I'm educated and have good skills for my line of work or I wouldn't have been paid that well in the past. Unfortunately my savings have been wiped out trying to survive here the last few years.

To make a long story short it took me 2 full years to get hired and the job I finally got pays a lousy 10 bucks an hour. (don't get me wrong I am very glad to have it... starving sucks) I kept track of all applications I filled out over the last 2 years and I had applied for over 430 other positions.... of which got a whopping 2 interviews, both which I tried to follow up on and never heard anything from the employer.
Employers here NEVER let you know what happens with a job. I think they just hire a relative and throw away all the applications.
.... I tried going to employers in person with resume in hand, but most won't even talk to you. Some (like MO-DOT) will let you fill out an application on a computer terminal (which you could do at home) but once you hit "submit" you may leave ,, nobody wants to talk to you. -- and you will never hear from them.

The employer mentality here is unreal... they wouldn't know a good employee if they fell over them.... this is very evident when you shop or eat in the restaurants ... the level and quality of customer service in SW Missouri is the worst I've seen anywhere in the USA -- and I'm fairly well traveled.
Furthermore when talking with people who have lived and worked in SW Missouri for many years the consensus is that Missouri employers don't give a crap about their employees and that is why mediocrity is the norm around here.
It's a real shame because this is a great place to live with exception to the employment and wage situation.

SO ---- DON'T TAKE IT PERSONAL --- IT'S NOT YOU !!
I really hope that things work out for you.
As for me, I will be a great employee for my employer as long as I'm here but you can't survive on these poor wages so I'm looking to find a real paying job in other states.
(past 2 years of not having a job sure doesn't help on the resume)
Wow...I'm so sorry for your experiences. Would you mind sharing what kind of job you're talking about, both prior and the type you were looking for?

Just curious and would love to have a better understanding of the situation.

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area