Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 07:54 PM

83 posts, read 148,458 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody,

I'm looking into the Springfield area as a place to relocate my family. When searching realtor.com, I see lots of great houses in the area, with 1+ acres, for $130k+. But I'm also wondering about building (if we can afford it--not sure). Does anybody have any regional input about this?

1) Tips for knowing what is and isn't a good parcel?
2) Ideas of costs to install utilities, septic, well?
3) Are any of the towns near Springfield more strict than others?

If I buy land, I sure would like 2-5 acres or more. What's a good deal? I see prices from $20k to $40k+ (I didn't look higher than $50k). I don't want to be more than 20 miles from Springfield, and probably less is better.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 09:42 AM

914 posts, read 2,209,751 times
In the Springfield area, only Greene and Christian counties have building codes and zoning. Some communities do have their own. No area community has more restrictions than Springfield.

From Springfield, land prices are highest to the south and east, lower to the west, much lower to the north.

Well and septic are going to cost $15,000 to $20,000. Bringing electricity will cost maybe $1000 to $1500 a pole - it depends upon the supplier. Natural gas is not commonly available in rural areas, but if it is then it is a matter of trenching. Some areas allow a septic on three acres or more, some require five.

There is no possible way to build a new house for anything like what existing properties are bringing.

Consider the time factor in commuting, not just the distance factor. Not all 20 mile commutes are created equal.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:41 PM

Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, you mean that buying an existing house is much cheaper than building new?

And all properties under 3 acres must use city sewer?

I think we're looking more toward the south side (ozark, republic, nixa, battlefield, and further down. We still have to determine that for sure, but it would probably be in Greene or Christian Co.

Instead of trenching, isn't it possible to use natural gas with a cylinder in the yard?

Old 09-14-2014, 05:34 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,663,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikrainian View Post

Instead of trenching, isn't it possible to use natural gas with a cylinder in the yard?
That would be LPG (Propane)
A more expensive option than natural gas. Typically most rural properties use Propane.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:23 PM

914 posts, read 2,209,751 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

To clarify, you mean that buying an existing house is much cheaper than building new?
Yes

Quote:
And all properties under 3 acres must use city sewer?
No, in general if there is no sewer, you must have three acres, or possibly five (it varies) in order to put in a septic system. In other words, you will not be allowed to build a residence on less than three acres, and you may have to have five. Obviously if there is a sewer system, you just connect, although there will be a connection fee (sometimes a significant amount). And sometimes subdivisions have different permit arrangements. Make sure you KNOW what the requirement for a given piece of land will be before you sign the contract. And by KNOW I do not mean whatever the real estate person said.

Old 09-14-2014, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the help everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area