Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:14 PM

3 posts, read 19,805 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Springfield area and have chosen to move to either Nixa or Ozark. We have one daughter that will be a sophomore in high school. We are really torn between these two towns. Any help would be great, give me the good, bad or whatever. Thanks!!!

Kinkade Clan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 08:04 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
Have you searched these forums yet? Your question has been asked dozens of times and there's a lot of information that's already been posted.

Assuming that you have read up on the subject, you really can't go wrong with either place. I live in Nixa, spend considerable time in Ozark and would honestly be happy in either location. The choice for me would come down to a specific home more than anything else. We happened to find what we wanted in Nixa.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:38 PM

17 posts, read 42,607 times
Default Ozark is Superior

Three years ago I relocated from Texas to Ozark. Both Nixa and Ozark are equal in various ways, but Ozark has a genuine small-town atmosphere, while Nixa has evolved into a bland bedroom community. On the flip side, Nixa is a more convenient place to reside. All in all, I'm glad that I chose Ozark.

Old 08-06-2009, 04:09 PM

4 posts, read 14,735 times
I go to the Ozark High school and it is the best school that i have ever gone to, I have also went to nixa and if I had the option i wouldnt go there again...

Old 08-09-2009, 08:57 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Have you had an opportunity to check out both areas yet? I think the advice given in this thread is very good, especially the characterizations of Ozark and Nixa. It may literally come down to the individual house you find and what kind of deal you can get for it.

It doesn't seem like you could really go wrong with either location, and I think it would depend on whether you'd like living in what I'm thinking would feel more like a pleasant southern extension of Springfield (Nixa), or a town with a more stand-alone feel to it (Ozark). On this comparison, my personal choice would probably be Ozark, but again I would try to spend at least a couple of days visiting each place before choosing.

Please let all of here know what develops, and if we can try giving you any additional advice!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkinkade View Post
We are moving to the Springfield area and have chosen to move to either Nixa or Ozark. We have one daughter that will be a sophomore in high school. We are really torn between these two towns. Any help would be great, give me the good, bad or whatever. Thanks!!!

Kinkade Clan.
Which school, Nixa or Ozark, has the most rural kids? If you're moving here from the city, you probably don't want your daughter to be around too many Missouri rural kids.

Actually, up here in rural Rolla, I hear that all the truly trendy new couples moving the southwest Missouri area make sure their children go to Hillcrest High School in Springfield.

If you care about your daughter, that's the district you'll choose. Don't you want her to grow up with sophistication?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:20 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Talking Ozark or Nixa?

They both have good schools, both are lovely communities that have grown into becoming almost "bedroom" communities of Springfield. Which is not necessarily a bad thing, it depends on what you're looking for!

The main ingredient I would add to this soup is to think about travel/commute time and choose the property that gives you what you want. If you are seeking something quiet, make sure you get far enough away from the major arteries so that the sprawl doesn't get you in 5 years. On the other hand, if you're looking for quick & easy access to "stuff" then drive the access roads at 5:30 pm on a weeknight. 160 going south out of Springfield through Nixa can be frustrating.

One thing you'll find in reading the posts on this (and other) forums is that there are a wide and wonderful variety of tastes. I call it "the lenses through which you see the world"... Where one person sees an uncluttered paradise of rolling hills & verdant pastures, another sees isolation. Where another sees a blight on the hills, I might see a fun and wonderful place for millions to safely play & make lifetime memories.

You say tomato...I say tomatoe...

Old 08-16-2009, 03:37 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarksboy View Post
Which school, Nixa or Ozark, has the most rural kids? If you're moving here from the city, you probably don't want your daughter to be around too many Missouri rural kids.
Actually, up here in rural Rolla, I hear that all the truly trendy new couples moving the southwest Missouri area make sure their children go to Hillcrest High School in Springfield.
If you care about your daughter, that's the district you'll choose. Don't you want her to grow up with sophistication?
Anyway, so it was like, Jeremy and me, we were both like, whoa!..all this homework Mr. Schnitzlerberger's piling on us and there's like, no time to send a text message to Shayna to let her know we won't be able to hang out at McDonald's and we're all like stressing out between that and Mrs. McSniddleford in third period and stuff, but back to what Ryan and Corey were messing around with a couple days ago, it was like, I can't believe it, how are these dudes, like, able to get A's on their sex ed term papers, and it's just, I don't know, like, so unfair, but whatever, and Stacie's now got over 300 friends on her Facebook page, which is like, totally unreal, but I'd better get back to my stuff before Mom gets on my butt all over again, but you know, anyway.....

Ahem. I think I had read in former Attorney General John ********'s autobiography that Hillcrest High School was his alma mater. Is Kickapoo High School in Springfield still around, would anyone know?

To the OP: Give us an update when you can on how you're doing! It'd probably be good if your daughter is apprehensive about starting at a new high school to encourage her to be friendly and open, and have her get her fellow students to talk about themselves--much like how author Dale Carnegie taught in his book How to Win Friends and Influence People. I'd keep a close eye on what textbooks she gets assigned to read, and let her know she'll be so much happier avoiding all the problems that come with alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs, and giving in to bad peer pressure. She should have the boys treat her like a real young lady to be respected. Not easy in this day and age!

"You say CAHR-uh-mehl, I say CAR-mul...."

Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 PM

Well, thanks for all the help but due to my company providing corporate housing for us until we buy a home we will be staying in Springfield. The housing we were provided for is in Springfield in the Glendale district. We tried to get a transfer to Nixa and told them we will be buying a house there but they said no way. Anyways we are in the Glendale school district and she will be attending school there. From what we have seen and heard about it so far it looks like a very nice school

Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 PM

Love the post northbayeric!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area