Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2008, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 17,337 times

Advertisements

Hi. We will be moving to the area soon with our occupations in Branson. We are not familiar with the area except for the occasional weekend vacations to Branson.

Our two children will be in elementary school. I'm looking for any thoughts (good or bad) on the Branson, Ozark, or Nixa school districts. I'm looking for a district that is sincere when it comes to education - and not as worried about how impressive test scores may look on paper.

I'm also wondering about the communities? We would prefer to be in a community where a good honest value system is still practiced along with good family values.

Any thoughts (good or bad) would be more than welcomed. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 19,522 times
I lived in Springfield for 12 years and Branson for 8. I would recommend Branson hands down. We also raised our kids there, one graduated with full honors and scholarships, the other did well with less scholarships. The HS is new and the elementary school is fairly new, and I would rank them as very good academically (remember that Branson has a lot of money, and that the stars' kids attend these schools). The area is nice, the people are generally friendly-except the 'stars'. The performers tend to be mostly standoffish to snooty...this includes the 'backup' performers as well. Stay away from living in Forsyth, Rockaway Beach, and most of Hollister-Branson proper would be best.

Ozark and Nixa are nice communities between Springfield and Branson. Living there means a 30+ minute commute, but they are more affluent than most of Springfield. If you choose Springfield-the west and north sides are poorer and more troublesome, then the east side, forget north central and central, south central is ok, south would be best.

Don't be put off by the negatives I've stated, the positives greatly outweigh the negs. I did not have any troubles that I didn't create for myself. In fact, if I had to 'do it all over again', I'd raise my kids in Branson.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:53 PM

4 posts, read 17,337 times
Thanks for the great information - exactly what I'm looking for. I was wondering about the "stars" that lived in the area. I am assuming the percentage of "stars' children" would be rather small?

Any MAJOR drug issues in these districts that you are aware of? I know this issue is universal with some areas being worse than others.

Thanks again for the information.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 AM

1,921 posts, read 6,425,690 times
A lot depends on how much you want to commute. I'm biased (because I live there) and would vote for Nixa. The schools are arguably the best in the area and the community has a great dynamic. It's also one of the fastest growing cities in the area, due to the reasons previously mentioned.

That should take nothing away from Ozark and Branson. Both are wonderful places in their own right. All three are close enough that the commute would probably play the biggest factor. If you don't mind the added expense and time of a daily commute, spend a bit of time in all three and choose the one that fits you the best. If you'd prefer to live where you work, Branson will be a wonderful place to call home.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default Nixa, Ozark or Branson?

I've heard numerous people from each of these school districts SWEAR that their school was the BEST.......and I think they are all very good.

I always recommend that parents take a day, make appointments, and visit each school before making a decision. The schools are happy to help.

I commuted from the Branson area to Springfield for a year...it gets old. Especially since the road is not flat (to say the least) and something about driving those hills was tiring, and harder on a vehicle.

I AM PREJUDICED.

I love living down here...after living (off & on) in Springfield for 8 years...I can't imagine living anywhere else but the Branson/Table Rock Lake area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area