Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 04:38 PM

35 posts, read 136,955 times

Advertisements

Well as most know i'm planning on moving to the springfield area. So this weekend we are gonna go visit. We are gonna make a small, cheap vacation out of it too. So where are all the christmas lights and stuff at? We are not going to silver dollar city though, I hear that place is a big rip off. Does branson have a lot of lights and stuff? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 12:27 AM

974 posts, read 1,586,760 times
the chapel of the hills lights i hear are awesome. this is my first xmas in the ozarks so im wondering as well i know my children would enjoy it immensely.

Old 12-13-2008, 03:01 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickcdb2000 View Post
We are not going to silver dollar city though, I hear that place is a big rip off.
You heard wrong.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:19 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
If you are traveling on I-44 near Carthage, stop in town at the Vietnamese Seminary light display. It's a visual trip through the Old Testament. Any donations go to support the Seminary and the Priest's Retirement home (and pay the electric bill I suppose).

Old 12-13-2008, 09:32 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
In Springfield, there is a church (I think it's Crossroads church) that has a nice lights display. It is free but of course they welcome donations. You can drive or walk through; it's supposed to be fairly warm tonight so if it's not raining, you picked the right weekend to go. Turn north onto South Fort from Sunshine and you won't miss it. It's not huge, you can drive through it in 15 - 20 minutes, so I would recommend walking if the weather is agreeable.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:55 PM

43 posts, read 104,194 times
Silver Dollar city is a wonder land for kids! Youve got to go at least once. Be sure to ride the Christmas train. Theres a 10 story Christmas tree, that plays songs, shopping to do, great food, shows to go see, its well worth the money! Dont cheat yourself GO!! And while Im at it Mickey Gilleys show in Branson is fantastic, even if you dont like the music, its a great show!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 11:32 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
I hate to be a wet blanket. I came from an area that had big light displays. I thought Springfield would put on a big disply. Wrong. It iwas a mile of lighted candy canes on light poles. Branson was a disappointment, too. Kimberling City was much nicer. The biggest display in the area is in Carthage. More than one-million lights. From 1-44 gp West to 1-71 go north toward KC, exit 571. Continue and keep Wendy's on the passenger side to Grand. Continue to Fairview. You'll see it. Turn right on Fairview and go 1/2 block to the entrance. Turn on the AM radio and listen throughout the drive. Free. please donate. It's worth the visit.

One of the nicest displays is in MW Louisiana west of Shreveport on 1-20. Gp North on Greenwood - can't remember it if is a street, ave or boulevard - to the rose gardens. It's an awesome walking display on 30 acres. If the weather remains mild the roses will be in bloom until January. They add a million or more lights too. A nice gift shop. The funniest Christmas story I ever read was the Cajun Night Before Christmas. I laughed so hard I almost wet my drawers. Louisiana at Christmas is just an awesome sight to see from Shereveport to the coast. Even if you are in Sprinfield, it is still worth the trip to see the rose garden. Shreveport is an awesome city for shopping and thing to do.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 PM

35 posts, read 136,955 times
Well.. I made it up there this past weekend. The whole trip was kinda a let down. First went through branson saturday night at about 6 or so. Traffic was HORRIBLE, headed toward Kimberling city... needless to say we never made it there. I never got any of the post by the time we left so I never seen this. Didn't see many christmas lights at all. Anyways.. headed to kimblerling city got about 100 yards out of branson and traffic was backed up for MILES. We turned around and headed to the motel. Stayed in Nixa that night, decent motel, woke up the next morning and looked at houses. O, and ate at lamberts that night... great food.

Anyways, the houses we looke at was pretty nice, neighborhoods was pretty nice. But I have to say, and I hope I dont offend anyone, but we did see a lot of nasty places there too. We mainly looked in the Ozark area, dont really want to live in springfield. I think ozark suits our need best. But I was expecting something a little prettier. I know we went in the worst time of the year for scenery but some of the houses had stuff piled up in the front yard. Also seen a lot of trailer houses too. Not that i'm bashing trailers, I live in one now. But I dont want to move 450 miles away to live next to someone in a nasty run down trailer.

Anyways... the terrain was GREAT... Houses, ummm... not too great. I guess that also has to do with the price range i'm in too. I know if I spent 500,000 on a house it would be in a good neighborhood... not so much as a 120,000 dollar house. Anyways.... help me change my mind people.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:11 AM

419 posts, read 1,181,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickcdb2000 View Post
Well.. I made it up there this past weekend. The whole trip was kinda a let down. First went through branson saturday night at about 6 or so. Traffic was HORRIBLE, headed toward Kimberling city... needless to say we never made it there. I never got any of the post by the time we left so I never seen this. Didn't see many christmas lights at all. Anyways.. headed to kimblerling city got about 100 yards out of branson and traffic was backed up for MILES. We turned around and headed to the motel. Stayed in Nixa that night, decent motel, woke up the next morning and looked at houses. O, and ate at lamberts that night... great food.

Anyways, the houses we looke at was pretty nice, neighborhoods was pretty nice. But I have to say, and I hope I dont offend anyone, but we did see a lot of nasty places there too. We mainly looked in the Ozark area, dont really want to live in springfield. I think ozark suits our need best. But I was expecting something a little prettier. I know we went in the worst time of the year for scenery but some of the houses had stuff piled up in the front yard. Also seen a lot of trailer houses too. Not that i'm bashing trailers, I live in one now. But I dont want to move 450 miles away to live next to someone in a nasty run down trailer.

Anyways... the terrain was GREAT... Houses, ummm... not too great. I guess that also has to do with the price range i'm in too. I know if I spent 500,000 on a house it would be in a good neighborhood... not so much as a 120,000 dollar house. Anyways.... help me change my mind people.
Not at all - you need to go by your own experiences. I've had to turn around to get out of Branson traffic myself and I guess Lamberts is ok. I always thought their chicken was about on par with Wal-Mart’s.

Just because some people go on about a place, doesn't mean it's right for you.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:23 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,380,482 times
Default Tour guide...too late!

I'm so sorry, slickcdb2000, that you didn't get some advice before venturing into town!

Of all the places I've ever lived, Branson & the Table Rock Lake area is THE most difficult to find the "good parts" if you don't know where you are going! The roads are winding & hilly...(due to the terrain)...the "strip" is two lanes and you absolutely have to know the (well marked & well traveled) back roads...or you will HATE it here!

Many...no...MOST of the GPS systems will not help you here.

Even when people tell me they want to just "drive around" and see what they can find and WHETHER or NOT they might want to move here, I suggest they come in and let me give them some pointers about where to and where not to go... It may work out that they like the area, and it may work out that they don't...but at least they don't go away frustrated just because they didn't have a tour guide.

As far as the junky places, they do exist around here, partly because planning & zoning is a newcomer to the area, and that's not all bad. I tell my out-of-towners that Missouri has historically stood up for the rights of the individual property owner..."a man should get to do what he wants with his land"...but that isn't necessarily what you want to have next door! Also that tends to be more likely in the lower priced areas...unfortunately. We didn't have a lot of money when I was a kid, but my grandma's theory was that soap & a broom don't cost much. Just because the place doesn't cost much, there's no excuse to not have pride of ownership!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area