Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 06:02 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by havhon View Post
To those who are wondering about my 'baptist - con'......I had some bad experiences with the baptist church as a young child. Furthermore, seeing some of the big $$ baptist churches in the south really makes me feel upset. That is not to say that there aren't some good baptist churches who are really making a difference in the community. I just have a serious aversion to baptist churches..........sorry!!!
The architecture of those big $$ baptist churches in the south part of Springfield fit in with the rest of the southern part of the city, which as I recall from your post, you admired. Obviously, the folks who live in the "nicer homes" that you like want their church buildings to be nice, too, so they support their churches by freely giving tithes and offerings to the building fund. Those Baptist churches also support a lot of missionary efforts in the United States and around the world.

On the other hand, the Baptist church where I worship in Phelps County is a country congregation made up rural folks, most of them farmers and blue collar workers. The architecture of the building is functional, comfortable and inviting but not fancy. Our little church also supports missionary efforts in Phelps County, throughout the United States and around the world.

Baptist churches DO tend to upset people, because most of them continue to preach that you and I are sinners who deserve to be separated from God throughout eternity--if we don't repent, or give up, our sinful selfish living and believe that Christ's death on the cross is the only available payment for the punishment we deserve for our sins, and we have to commit our lives to serving Christ, our Lord as well as Savior.

That message offends most modern people, but I hope that's not what caused you to shun Baptists.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 03-07-2009 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 09:58 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havhon View Post
I dont understand why certain individuals have to get upset, defensive, rude, and attack me about my review of SGF. I felt I was objective as I could be.
I understand (though I don't agree with much of your assessment). Many of us have a location that we dream about, where we want to live. Others aren't happy living anywhere and don't think any place is really good enough for them. Springfield is my dream location, but not yours, and I'm OK with that.

What town would you put forth to us as being close to your ideal place to live? What is your dream location?

Old 03-08-2009, 08:58 PM

25 posts, read 60,508 times
Talking Newcomer Opinion

My family and I just moved here in August of last year. We did not move here just so we could complain about things we wanted to change. We did our research and made an educated decision. Springfield was what we wanted and we got exactly what we expected. I hate it when people move to a new town and constantly complain that it is not like where they came from. Why even leave if you want what you had.
We have lived in the Phelps Grove neighborhood and loved it, quaint older homes, friendly neighbors, and yes, some very expensive homes. We now live in the Brentwood neighborhood in SE Springfield, and find it just as nice and just as friendly. I have been all over Springfield since August and have found wonderful things in all of it's neighborhoods, and I know I will keep making new discoveries each day.
As for driving, the traffic can be bad near battlefield, but take another street, there are a million of them. As for the speed, I LOVE IT. When I am in a hurry , I can pass. Otherwise I can just relax and enjoy the ride.
As for the Grey cloud over Springfield. When we first arrived we sat in Jordan Valley Park and the kids played in the fountain under beautiful blue sky's. It stayed that way well into winter. It was Heaven.
I love my new town, sure there are little things that bother me. Krispy Kreme on Campbell never seems to have the hot and ready sign on when I am driving by, I keep turning into Home Depot when I mean to get on 60, and I always make a wrong turn when headed to the lake and wind up in the middle of nowhere. But I would change none of it. It is the spice of life, the ketchup on my fries, the ice in my tea. It is my town !!!!

Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
victoria1016 - please tell me that that is sweet tea!!! Seriously, nicely said...

havhon - your OPINIONS of what you saw are yours, and you spoke them, IMHO well. We all have different likes/dislikes, we all see the same stuff, but have different take-away on what we observe, due to what we want, our backgrounds, our motives. That's what makes this world so , as long as we can just respect each other's OPINIONS, w/o getting our britches all buggered up, AND as long as when we state our OPINIONS that its done w/ respect, not tossing cow patties in another's backyard. Ain't noplace perfect... one person's castle is another's dump. My buggerings about Springfield, I like it - its a good place, but I've only spent weekends here and there, not as place to live. Have friends that live there, and they love it. And yea, lol, I'm one of them fast drivers, so I do appreciate the turtles staying in the slow/right-hand lanes, thank you very much! There's some good vittles, good people, interesting scenery, and some culture there to be partaked - just gotta know where to look and appreciate... just kinda like about everywhere,,, and everyone.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:21 PM

34 posts, read 65,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoria1016 View Post
My family and I just moved here in August of last year. We did not move here just so we could complain about things we wanted to change. We did our research and made an educated decision. Springfield was what we wanted and we got exactly what we expected. I hate it when people move to a new town and constantly complain that it is not like where they came from. Why even leave if you want what you had.
We have lived in the Phelps Grove neighborhood and loved it, quaint older homes, friendly neighbors, and yes, some very expensive homes. We now live in the Brentwood neighborhood in SE Springfield, and find it just as nice and just as friendly. I have been all over Springfield since August and have found wonderful things in all of it's neighborhoods, and I know I will keep making new discoveries each day.
As for driving, the traffic can be bad near battlefield, but take another street, there are a million of them. As for the speed, I LOVE IT. When I am in a hurry , I can pass. Otherwise I can just relax and enjoy the ride.
As for the Grey cloud over Springfield. When we first arrived we sat in Jordan Valley Park and the kids played in the fountain under beautiful blue sky's. It stayed that way well into winter. It was Heaven.
I love my new town, sure there are little things that bother me. Krispy Kreme on Campbell never seems to have the hot and ready sign on when I am driving by, I keep turning into Home Depot when I mean to get on 60, and I always make a wrong turn when headed to the lake and wind up in the middle of nowhere. But I would change none of it. It is the spice of life, the ketchup on my fries, the ice in my tea. It is my town !!!!
Well said, and I am happy that you are doing well in Springfield

Old 03-09-2009, 07:01 AM

25 posts, read 60,508 times
ShadowCaver- Is there anything other than Sweet Tea? LOL Believe it or not once we discovered there was no Sweet Tea north of Virginia we knew we had to stay South of Virginia and Sweet Tea had to be on our list of must haves for our new Hometown. Thank Goodness Springfield had Sweet Tea, I would have hated to have to cross Springfield off our list. LOL

Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 AM

419 posts, read 1,182,527 times
Quote:
. I hate it when people move to a new town and constantly complain that it is not like where they came from. Why even leave if you want what you had.
I LOVE people with your attitude! Welcome to Missouri!!

Old 03-09-2009, 03:16 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,138 times
If more newcomers were like you, I wouldn't be so cranky towards them. You sound like you're happy to be a Missourian and an Ozarker. That's a refreshing attitude; sadly, it's refreshing because it's so rare among transplants.

Quote:
My family and I just moved here in August of last year. ... But I would change none of it. It is the spice of life, the ketchup on my fries, the ice in my tea. It is my town !!!!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:15 PM

81 posts, read 196,068 times
Quote:
ShadowCaver- Is there anything other than Sweet Tea? LOL Believe it or not once we discovered there was no Sweet Tea north of Virginia we knew we had to stay South of Virginia and Sweet Tea had to be on our list of must haves for our new Hometown. Thank Goodness Springfield had Sweet Tea, I would have hated to have to cross Springfield off our list. LOL
Ahem . . . excuse my ignorance, but being from northern CA, I have never even heard of Sweet Tea except when they mentioned it on the movie Fireproof the other night. It's not iced tea with sugar in it, is it?

I am curious - please fill me in!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplewife&mom View Post
Ahem . . . excuse my ignorance, but being from northern CA, I have never even heard of Sweet Tea except when they mentioned it on the movie Fireproof the other night. It's not iced tea with sugar in it, is it?

I am curious - please fill me in!
Most important aspect of sweet tea, IMHO is that the brew must be created while it is still warm - the sugar must be added to the steaming water, NOT to the chilled glass... to do the latter is nothing more than sugary ice tea - which is not sweet tea. This is one of the most important and satisfying drinks known to humankind.

//www.city-data.com/forum/food-...sweet-tea.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ea-please.html

In this house, take one green tea, one black tea, and one white tea bags, bring to just below boil in a ceramic cup... after sitting for 5 minutes, slowly pour into a pitcher that has 3 scoops of sugar and is ~1/3 full of cool water. Fill the pitcher to full, stirring slowly as you go. Let sit for a bit, and then enjoy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area