Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times

Advertisements

Whether or not there is a Jewish neighborhood has more to do with how cities developed and laws that restricted certain groups from buying property in a particular neighborhood. There is a small Jewish community in Joplin - at least there was before the tornado - and a student run Shul. There is a small Jewish temple and community in Fayetteville, AR..

And there is still the issue of buying Kosher for holidays. St. Louis, KC, Little Rock and Tulsa have the grocers. Consumer's on St. Louis in Springfield carried Kosher meat during the holidays before it was bought out by Albertson's. The Lake of the Ozark's store carried, too, at one time.

Organic and free range meats may be expensive but it it not Kosher unless a Rabbi is present when/where and animal is slaughtered. It is a complicated process to get the license.

Sadly, the large Jewish communities and neighborhoods are all located in larger towns. There are exceptions. I live in a city that has had a very active Jewish community for over a hundred years. But, it is the second largest group in the state - even though the city is 1/10 the size of Tulsa. The city is home to nearly every religious group known in North America and Eastern Europe. Kosher in the grocery stores is common fare. The availability of Kosher foods and wines, and being included in a larger diversified religious community does make a difference.

It is very annoying to be forced to drive 200 miles for Kosher foods when you are surrounded by grocery stores. My position is a grocer will not know how much food he can sell until he offers it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
According to this website: Missouri there are only about 1600 Jews in all of Missouri outside St. Louis and Kansas City. If true, this suggests the possibility of Jewish neighborhoods anywhere outside those two cities is highly unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM

207 posts, read 432,356 times
The largest Jewish population outside of St. Louis or Kansas City would be around Missouri State (Springfield)...The Rountree neighborhood, Meadowmere Place, Pickwick Place, University Heights and Phelps Grove. The temple is on the SE side of Springfield near Highland Springs and Millwood country club on S. Farm Road 193. Highland Springs and Millwood also have a sizeable Jewish population but it doesn't offer the community feel really. There are kosher items at Mama Jean's Natural Store.

There is also a smaller Jewish community around Branson. There is a temple on Bee Creek Road. There is no specific area where the Jewish population resides there, though.

Last edited by PGC Native; 03-01-2013 at 05:41 PM..

Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGC Native View Post
The largest Jewish population outside of St. Louis or Kansas City would be around Missouri State (Springfield)...The Rountree neighborhood, Meadowmere Place, Pickwick Place, University Heights and Phelps Grove. The temple is on the SE side of Springfield near Highland Springs and Millwood country club on S. Farm Road 193. Highland Springs and Millwood also have a sizeable Jewish population but it doesn't offer the community feel really. There are kosher items at Mama Jean's Natural Store.

There is also a smaller Jewish community around Branson. There is a temple on Bee Creek Road. There is no specific area where the Jewish population resides there, though.
The Jewish church in Branson is a Christian Jewish church. Most of the people that go there were not born into Judaism. They share the church with two other Christian denominations as well. That "Jewish" church is actually an evangelical Christian congregation lol.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,468,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
The Jewish church in Branson is a Christian Jewish church. Most of the people that go there were not born into Judaism. They share the church with two other Christian denominations as well. That "Jewish" church is actually an evangelical Christian congregation lol.
It's actually a Messianic Jewish congregation.

Old 03-05-2013, 06:49 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes...I have been there twice before. They believe in Jesus and are Christian. So not really what I would consider Jewish lol

Old 03-13-2013, 04:49 PM

207 posts, read 432,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It's a Jews for Jesus type of congregation. Many of them are indeed born into the Jewish faith. The temple in the Springfield area is not a Messianic Jewish congregation for the record.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:01 PM

98 posts, read 232,530 times
Parsing names for christian organizations that purport to call themselves jewish in a name are doing a great diservice to themselves and others by pretending to be something that they are not .Persaonally I find this movement to be very cult like despite whatever they pretend to believe.A personal christian friend who tried to join was summarily banished for daring to ask questions.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,774 times
Default Jews and Kosher food

There are kosher products at the Harter House on Republic Road. Currently, Passover food is available in any number of groceries in the city.

The only Jewish congregation in the area is Temple Israel located just outside of Rogersville on the Springfield side. It adheres to the current Reform theology and uses the latest Reform prayerbook. There are members in the congregation who define themselves Reform, Conservative, Orthodox, Reconstructionist, and Secular. The congregation has a religious school, adult study, and services for all holidays. The next nearest congregation is in Joplin.

Anyone else in the area who calls themselves a rabbi or belongs to a "synagogue" is a Messianic and those people are not Jews. Once one believes that Christ is the Messiah, they are Christians.

Temple Israel is a welcoming community to Jews and interfaith families, who raise their children Jewish. The community is composed of Jews of all economic and educational backgrounds. The history of Jews in Springfield dates back to just after the Civil War. There has been, since then, a small but continuous community of Jews who have helped shaped the city.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 4,739 times
Default Lamb

Hello,

I noticed several people asking about Kosher Meat, we get out meat from a friend who raises sheep. It is not certified kosher, but he follows kosher practices. He is willing to works with those looking for kosher meat to ensure he is following the practices to meet your standards. If you are interested, let me know

Old 11-17-2017, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,955 times
Shalom,
I have heard several say that Messianic Jews are not Jewish. I think it's interesting to note that the people that I know online who believe in Yeshua as the messiah do not want to call themselves Christian. Because being a christian means you are pagan. Simply put the word Christian to the people I know is almost exclusivly used in a derogatory sense because those that I know do not under any circumstances want to be classified as Christians. The people I know that are Messianic will not call themselves Jewish unless they really are. Some are in the Hebrew Roots Group that are also not Jewish but they all have several things in common with the Jewish people in that they keep kosher, keep the feasts and keep shabbat. Most of these people have a longing to become part of Isra'el as we know it and to be included in the culture which is admirable. They hold to his real name Yeshua who we understand to be Jewish had a b'rit mi'lah on the 8th day kept shabbat and kept the feasts. These people hate to call him Jesus because they know it wasn't his real name and e wasn't born in December. Yeshua came to fulfill what was written in the Tanakh and they further understand that while Yeshua was here on earth he spoke all the words of Moshe and all his talmidim preached the words of Moshe. They understand that the Word of God that people who are not walking this set apart path usually hold to is the KJV, when it was being translated the translators kept out any of the Jewish Rabbis. So you end up with a Bible filled with Antisemitism and Replacement Theology. It is possible to find the truth with a KJV Bible but myself I prefer the original english translated from the Hebrew. They also understand that the mindset has to change from Greek to Hebrew. Then and only then can a person begin to see that the whole Bible in the Hebrew is a complete Jewish Work. Yeshua, the one they call Jesus was a Jew and he can be the only one that fulfills Scripture in reference to the Messiah. I grew up with Jewish values and was sent to live with my best friend. While I was there we celebrated Christmas which felt wrong because I had never celebrated Christmas or Easter or Halloween and never had a birthday celebration. I searched for yrs and finally found my Jewish roots again and realized everything Dad said was true and now I practise Judiasm with the knowledge of my Jewish Messiah Yeshua who sacrificed himself for me. It's been a very painfull experience because when my husband and I began to keep Shabbat and got rid of the pagan traditions we had adopted we were actually kicked out of the church we went to because of our observance to Shabbat. We no longer go to church because we cannot and will not put our stamp of approval on paganism. Instead we keep Shabbat and read the Torah portion and the B'rit Hadashah. We are currently looking for other like minded folks who are Torah observant. So please when you refer to those that are messianic, please remember they no longer practise paganism, they keep kosher and they no longer go to a Christian church/churches and most have been kicked out of these churches and treated like pariahs because they have decided it's better to live like the Jews and do whats right that go back to paganism. For all of us who are Torah Observant we know we cannot and do not want to go back to Christianity because our Messiah did not come to create another religion called Christianity and most of us just long for the Jewish people, Israel. Because a whole nation does what we do. Here we are not welcome. Shalom Y'all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Springfield - Branson area