Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,526,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
SeargeantL, I do take exception to what you said that there are two groups here.
I have not included your entire post in the interest of saving bandwidth; however, let me make a few comments. First, you are blaming your neighbors for living their lives as they see fit. Assuming all facts are as you have written, it is clear your neighbors expended a reasonable effort in an attempt to include you in their lives. You have chosen to walk another path; they have chosen theirs. Also understand that these people are not perfect, and your repeated rejection of their invitations could be seen as a rejection of them, and thus you may have hurt their feelings also. Remember, life flows both ways.

Finally, I am going to make a personal statement. Anyone is free to disagree. I can be as social as the next person, but I don’t care whether my neighbors include me in their “Reindeer Games.” I lived in my old California neighborhood for my entire 35-year law enforcement career. Although my neighbors were polite, I can't recall any of them ever inviting me or my family to any of their social functions. Does this mean they were shunning me? Who knows? I even had to put a few of my neighbors or their kids in the bucket. I bet you can imagine this created somewhat of a sticky social situation, but I survived. In fact, I lost no sleep whatsoever. Depending on your neighbors for your social life is akin to using a pencil for a life preserver. It floats, but it won’t hold you up very well.

It’s obvious you are unhappy in your present circumstances, but don’t blame your neighbors. I wasn’t crazy about my neighbors in California, and as I get to know them better, I probably won’t be too crazy about some of my new neighbors here in Utah, but I am not going to blame them; I am going to let them live their lives as they see fit.

In my opinion, to stress and complain about reality demonstrates an inability to adapt. It is akin to stressing about the fact that the neighbor's tree branches are growing over one's fence.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:43 AM

242 posts, read 1,118,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
I have not included your entire post in the interest of saving bandwidth; however, let me make a few comments. First, you are blaming your neighbors for living their lives as they see fit. Assuming all facts are as you have written, it is clear your neighbors expended a reasonable effort in an attempt to include you in their lives. You have chosen to walk another path; they have chosen theirs. Also understand that these people are not perfect, and your repeated rejection of their invitations could be seen as a rejection of them, and thus you may have hurt their feelings also. Remember, life flows both ways.

Finally, I am going to make a personal statement. Anyone is free to disagree. I can be as social as the next person, but I don’t care whether my neighbors include me in their “Reindeer Games.” I lived in my old California neighborhood for my entire 35-year law enforcement career. Although my neighbors were polite, I can't recall any of them ever inviting me or my family to any of their social functions. Does this mean they were shunning me? Who knows? I even had to put a few of my neighbors or their kids in the bucket. I bet you can imagine this created somewhat of a sticky social situation, but I survived. In fact, I lost no sleep whatsoever. Depending on your neighbors for your social life is akin to using a pencil for a life preserver. It floats, but it won’t hold you up very well.

It’s obvious you are unhappy in your present circumstances, but don’t blame your neighbors. I wasn’t crazy about my neighbors in California, and as I get to know them better, I probably won’t be too crazy about some of my new neighbors here in Utah, but I am not going to blame them; I am going to let them live their lives as they see fit.

In my opinion, to stress and complain about reality demonstrates an inability to adapt. It is akin to stressing about the fact that the neighbor's tree branches are growing over one's fence.
"WHOLE HEARTEDLY AGREE!

Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,281,681 times
Well I guess you guys just had to 'be there'. You don't know me, you all have no idea what it's been like for us...so don't assume it's our fault...No I didn't hurt anyone's feelings, i continued to be friendly..but there is not use arguing about it because it just DOES NOT MATTER ANYMORE. And I am done...you need to try to convince someone else now that it is ok here.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:36 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,568,470 times
If it "DOES NOT MATTER ANYMORE" why do you keep bringing it up? It is clear from your statements that you must be perfect and everyone else is bigoted scum. How do you know if you hurt anyone elses feelings?

In any case, if you are leaving, please hurry. I suspect that you will never be happy where ever you wind up.

Old 09-20-2007, 01:26 AM

6 posts, read 82,078 times
Hey Dogmom, sounds like you hit the nail on the head about what the definition of "neighbor" means in St. George, Utah. "CTR" my a**, I think it's more like "Choose the Rude". Pretty pathetic attitude of "go away, we didn't want you here anyway".

Old 09-20-2007, 07:04 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,568,470 times
Ever hear of getting just what you give? You don't get to decide how what you put out there is perceived, so maybe the problem IS with the giver.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:15 AM

242 posts, read 1,118,182 times
I did some interesting calling yesterday. I talked to the police chief of Washington City. Seems they have had a lot of traffic problems and a major problem of people ignoring blatantly the traffic laws. They have gotten aggressive in their stance of traffic control. No they do not hide, nor do they target expensive cars. They have done this so that the pbulic will get the idea that traffic laws are to be obeyed. Funny little stat came to light too. Seems St. George receives 35% of its revenue from traffic violations. Springdale/Rockville area gets 60%. Hurricane and La Verkin both get in the neighborhood of 45%. Seems for the major tourist area that Washington County is, Washington City is the laggard in what it gets from traffic violations.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Rabbit View Post
No[,] they do not hide[.]
Interesting comment, I am always amazed at how many people get irritated if they believe the police hide when enforcing traffic. There is no law or policy prohibiting an officer from hiding; although, I have never seen one do it. People who accuse the police of hiding are simply flying in a state of oblivion and don’t see the obvious. I always loved the call where the citizen would say, “I can see your motor officer hiding near the corner of X and Y street.” I would always respond with, “Well, if you can see him, I guess he’s not hiding.”

I also find it odd that people don’t like traffic cops hiding but have no objections to undercover operations. Personally, I like the way many other states do traffic enforcement. In some states, officers are allowed to use plain wrapped cars.

Since my family is on the road, I want the police to ticket the living daylights out of violators. I don’t want a bad news call from a local PD telling me that someone in my family was killed by a red light violator.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 PM

4 posts, read 11,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Since my family is on the road, I want the police to ticket the living daylights out of violators. I don’t want a bad news call from a local PD telling me that someone in my family was killed by a red light violator.
SergeantL, Can you explain then the actions of a young Washington City "police officer" who lost control and totaled out his brand new Dodge Charger on the round-a-bout off exit 13 as he was testing out the car's speed and handling capabilities? How would you like to receive a phone call saying that your family was killed while walking along the side of the round-a-bout when an immature young cop decided he wanted to have some thrills?!?

I think it's funny that the cop was only disciplined by "being placed in the oldest police car" (this information was conveyed by via a friend who is in the bishopric with a Utah highway patrolman). That young, dumb cop should not only have been fired on the spot, but arrested and charged with reckless endangerment. After all, that's what you would do to a regular citizen. Police officers need to be held to a higher standard than regular citizens because they are the ones that set the example for citizens to follow. This proves that in small, isolated, money-desperate communities, cops can get away with a slap of the wrist while regular citizens pay the price for ridiculously minor infractions.

One other thing SergeantL. Can you explain why Washington City had a job requisition posted for a police sergeant where the only required education was a H.S. diploma?!!!? That is absolutely outrageous! Real cities recruit from universities and require a college degree.

All of this reminds me of the poor elderly lady in Orem who didn't water her lawn and was arrested and taken to jail. I feel embarrassed to live in a state where these kinds of things happen.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyLoVe View Post
SergeantL, Can you explain then the actions of a young Washington City "police officer" who lost control and totaled out his brand new Dodge Charger on the round-a-bout off exit 13 as he was testing out the car's speed and handling capabilities? How would you like to receive a phone call saying that your family was killed while walking along the side of the round-a-bout when an immature young cop decided he wanted to have some thrills?!?

I think it's funny that the cop was only disciplined by "being placed in the oldest police car" (this information was conveyed by via a friend who is in the bishopric with a Utah highway patrolman). That young, dumb cop should not only have been fired on the spot, but arrested and charged with reckless endangerment. After all, that's what you would do to a regular citizen. Police officers need to be held to a higher standard than regular citizens because they are the ones that set the example for citizens to follow. This proves that in small, isolated, money-desperate communities, cops can get away with a slap of the wrist while regular citizens pay the price for ridiculously minor infractions.

One other thing SergeantL. Can you explain why Washington City had a job requisition posted for a police sergeant where the only required education was a H.S. diploma?!!!? That is absolutely outrageous! Real cities recruit from universities and require a college degree.

All of this reminds me of the poor elderly lady in Orem who didn't water her lawn and was arrested and taken to jail. I feel embarrassed to live in a state where these kinds of things happen.
No, butterfly, I can't explain. I'm retired and other than 18 months with the Philadelphia Police Department, I worked in California for the remainder of my career. I know nothing about the disciplinary policies and practices of Utah Police Departments. Furthermore, I know nothing about the event of which you write and believe it would be unfair to comment without knowing all the facts. I would also suspect that regardless of what your buddy in the Bishopric’s third cousin, who works for the UHP, and is from his mother’s cousin’s side of the family might have stated, you don’t know all of the facts either. I can only suggest that if you find the practices or educational requirements of Utah police departments objectionable, write your elected officials and demand a change. I will happily support a referendum to require college level education for Utah officers. I hold an associate degree in administration of justice, a bachelor’s in economics, and a master’s in public administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George