Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 03:48 PM

157 posts, read 652,240 times

Advertisements

Hey Carlessbiker,

Yeah, Vegas. That makes more sense. Thanks for the info. I agree, it is sad that Zion could exceed federal regs ... amazing.

Given your name, are you a car-less biker around the St. George area?. (bicycle or moto?) I am a car-less biker kinda boy myself and am curious about riding around the area on bicycle -- commuting and just for fun. Any info? Thanks.

BTW - thanks for the heads up about the home show in Feb. - not likely to be buying soon, but it would be interesting for the future and would no doubt tell me a lot about the area. Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2007, 07:49 AM

33 posts, read 181,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoboy204 View Post
Given your name, are you a car-less biker around the St. George area?. (bicycle or moto?) I am a car-less biker kinda boy myself and am curious about riding around the area on bicycle -- commuting and just for fun. Any info? Thanks.
There is great riding in and around the St. George area. Granted we are still going through some growing pains so a couple of the routes are tore up, but it should be fixed soon. The road riding is great in St. George since you can do it year 'round. It's hot but tolerable in the summer (better for road riding) and chilly but above freezing in the winter (better for mountain biking). The cities and counties have created a bike advisory committee which is helping plan for bicycle travel for both leisure and commuting. We also have an excellent mountain biking scene - some of the best trails in the nation. If you come for the home show, bring a mountain bike.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,274 times
Thumbs down If you're not Mormon think twice...

I live in St. George and have for 3 years and being a non-mormon it has been a real shock. They seem to accept everyone at first, but believe me they do not accept you if you're not Mormon.

And if you have kids they will feel inferior to the other kids in school. Mostly all they and you will hear about is missions and wards. if you didn't go on a mission or you're not in a ward then you will feel like an outsider.

They change holidays in Utah if they fall on a sunday. Yes national holidays get changed (what happen to church and state). They have changed Halloween and New Years eve so far since I've been here.

Halloween is weird here if you're used to the rest of American Halloween. Nobody goes door-to-door, they do a trunk-or-treat at the church instead.

I am going to be moving soon, just don't want my kids to have to feel inferior if they do not believe in the same beliefs as the extremist Mormon religion.

It is a beautiful state and I really love the outdoor activities, it's a shame religion has to ruin that.

Old 02-09-2007, 07:48 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,957 times
Oh boohoo! Everyone did not acknowledge you as the best thing to come into the state since water. Too bad. I have lived here for 10+ years, am not LDS and never felt discriminated against. Perhaps because I won't let myself associate with those who feel that their whole life is wrapped up in "the church".

There are plenty of non LDS to associate with, the LDS are fine to associate with, just stay away from the fanatics and you will have a better life than if you continually worry about it.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:55 PM

17 posts, read 86,367 times
Do you have kids in school, Predos? Kids can be mean to each other for many reasons. Here, in So. Utah, religion is just one more factor they can use to alienate others. Several threads in this forum have covered this extensively in the past, so if you're interested you can look them up. If PersonalExperience's kids have run into this, I can certainly understand the grievance.

The fact that your experience has not paralelled that of PersonalExperience does not make their opinions and thoughts less valid than your own. Mocking someone else's pain isn't going to help the original poster make a decision. PersonalExperience seems bitter, that's true. But perhaps there is something in that person's history to cause that in them. They said they are leaving anyway, so no need to pile on.

LynnieMiller -
St. George is like any other place in the country. The number and quality of friends you have will depend entirely on what kind of person and what kind of friend you are yourself. As for work, you'd probably have better luck in St. George than in Cedar - the numbers would be in your favor.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:51 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,565,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philiplo View Post
LynnieMiller -
St. George is like any other place in the country. The number and quality of friends you have will depend entirely on what kind of person and what kind of friend you are yourself. As for work, you'd probably have better luck in St. George than in Cedar - the numbers would be in your favor.
Perhaps you should advise PersonalExperience with your statement. To many people arrive at a place, not just Utah, and expect the new location to conform to what they want. As for kids in school, mine are through with public education but had been taught/had enough sense to know when people were really worth knowing.

Old 02-11-2007, 09:17 PM

157 posts, read 652,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlessbiker View Post
There is great riding in and around the St. George area. Granted we are still going through some growing pains so a couple of the routes are tore up, but it should be fixed soon. The road riding is great in St. George since you can do it year 'round. It's hot but tolerable in the summer (better for road riding) and chilly but above freezing in the winter (better for mountain biking). The cities and counties have created a bike advisory committee which is helping plan for bicycle travel for both leisure and commuting. We also have an excellent mountain biking scene - some of the best trails in the nation. If you come for the home show, bring a mountain bike.

Thanks CB! I had a feelling that there must be some great riding in the ST.G area - it looked cool when I was there. Summer might be a little tough for me - I think Colo. boys turn to vapor around 93 degrees , but the rest of the year sounds like it is definatley worth the time to check out.

Good luck with the advisory committee (great idea!). Thanks again and best wishes for great riding and all else.

dgoboy

Old 02-23-2007, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,274 times
Cool Get over yourself Predos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
Oh boohoo! Everyone did not acknowledge you as the best thing to come into the state since water. Too bad. I have lived here for 10+ years, am not LDS and never felt discriminated against. Perhaps because I won't let myself associate with those who feel that their whole life is wrapped up in "the church".

There are plenty of non LDS to associate with, the LDS are fine to associate with, just stay away from the fanatics and you will have a better life than if you continually worry about it.
Oh, come on, it has nothing to do with me being acknowledged a certain way (I have had no problems meeting friends, but I do not need friends for friends sake. I like to associate myself with honest people, which is hard to find here). People in St. George are two faced hypocrites that think they are better then everyone else. They just want to talk about other people to make themselves feel better.

Life is hard enough without Religion controlling it everyday. St. George and Utah in general is totally controlled by the LDS religion.

Yeah, you can ignore the fact that Holidays get changed if they fall on a Sunday. Ignore the fact that if your kids do not go on a mission they are inferior to their friends. Ignore the fact that if your kids do not know the Bishop they can't play sports. If you ignore something does not make it go away.

I have a big problem with Religion being used for a control method and in Utah it is a huge problem, you can not ignore that unless you're an ostrich and stick your head in the sand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George