Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 06:38 AM

390 posts, read 755,763 times

Advertisements

To those that have no desire to move to St. George, THANK You! We're overcrowded now and way too many people moving here from everywhere in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
To those that have no desire to move to St. George, THANK You! We're overcrowded now and way too many people moving here from everywhere in the country.
It was the most rapidly growing city in the USA. Now, I believe its only the third most rapidly growing city.....lol

Old 05-14-2019, 02:44 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,482,269 times
I left St. George because the wages in town are ridiculously low. Otherwise I'd still be living there. And it's not like housing is cheap up there either.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:21 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Nobody has mentioned the religious tone of the area. As in most of Utah, this area is heavily LDS. I am not offering an opinion, just a factual summary.

Great desert climate, not as hot as Vegas, or Phoenix, but certainly hot in the summer, and mild to cool in the winter, but sunshine year 'round. They call it Utah's "Dixie". Not sure I really get that but that is what they call it!

Old 05-14-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
They call it Utah's "Dixie". Not sure I really get that but that is what they call it!
It's because of the cotton farming they did when St. George was in its infancy. Dixie, a term from the south related to cotton farming in the area. Hence, "Utah's Dixie".
And yes, the LDS influence is very prevalent in town. Pro or con depending on who you ask

Old 05-14-2019, 11:44 PM

Thanks for that! Didn't know about cotton farming in the area. I thought it was just a "southern" thing as in "Southern Utah"!

Old 05-18-2019, 06:08 PM

One additional thing that I remember from living near Utah:

Sometimes a city is so prominent in their State, (Salt Lake City and suburbs), that the local tv stations are basically shown throughout the entire State. Yes, there may be some locals in Utah, but generally, you get the SLC media throughout the State. Colorado is similar with Denver, though Colorado Springs has a few locals. Even in Oregon, you get Portland, Eugene, Bend, or Medford. Which means generally you will get Portland news throughout most of the State, except for Eugene, Bend or Medford.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:27 AM

10 posts, read 11,037 times
I have weather questions. Due to health problems, I'm looking to relocate from Michigan to a drier, warmer area where the barometric pressure is on the higher end more often. Michigan has been great in the past, but I can't do this cold, rainy, damp, one low pressure system after another. Hopefully I can find an area that has a climate that allows me to start feeling good enough to not be laid up 3, 4 or more days a week. I've just started my search but the plan is to find an area and be relocated before another winter gets here.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfrommichigan View Post
I have weather questions. Due to health problems, I'm looking to relocate from Michigan to a drier, warmer area where the barometric pressure is on the higher end more often. Michigan has been great in the past, but I can't do this cold, rainy, damp, one low pressure system after another. Hopefully I can find an area that has a climate that allows me to start feeling good enough to not be laid up 3, 4 or more days a week. I've just started my search but the plan is to find an area and be relocated before another winter gets here.
What exactly is your question?

Old 05-27-2019, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 3,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danfrommichigan View Post

Hi Danfrommichigan,

Most of the desert southwest sounds like it would fit your needs. If you have more specific questions as for what you're looking for, that would be helpful in narrowing down which area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of: