Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2018, 06:21 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,131,718 times

Advertisements

Anyone know how much the community colleges are per year?

Plus fees/expenses?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 06:35 PM

272 posts, read 271,533 times
Wouldn't it be easier to check the website of the college you're interested in?

I mean, it would be helpful to map out an exact schedule to see how many credit hours you'll be taking per semester and compare that with the cost per credit hour. It would also be helpful if you provided more pertinent details about yourself such as whether you're a resident or non-resident, what your major is or will be to determine the prerequisite courses you need to take, and what (if any) financial assistance, grants, or scholarships you have.

I'm sort of a moron, but that's what I'd do to get an answer, but maybe someone more intelligent will come along to give you an exact number.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:24 PM

Resident
Cash
15 hours a semester
2 year general classes

All I’m looking for is a ball park price

Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 AM

272 posts, read 271,533 times
$2500ish, Dixie State

PS - DO NOT GO TO STEVENS HENAGER COLLEGE.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomofo View Post
$2500ish, Dixie State

PS - DO NOT GO TO STEVENS HENAGER COLLEGE.
$2500? Not bad at all. I’m assuming another $500 for books. But still 6 to 7k for two years of college is very fair!

Why not Henager?

Old 07-05-2018, 09:03 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,485,589 times
Dixie State U. is the cheapest college/university in Utah, it has been said. They are a great school.
The only options in the area are:
SUU
DSU
Mojave (in adjacent AZ)
Dixe applied technology college
Rocky Vista DO medial program
And a couple of private schools (expensive) that I wouldn't recommend.

You can call the DSU hotline for help with estimated costs for credit hours, or just search on their website. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Dixie State U. is the cheapest college/university in Utah, it has been said. They are a great school.
The only options in the area are:
SUU
DSU
Mojave (in adjacent AZ)
Dixe applied technology college
Rocky Vista DO medial program
And a couple of private schools (expensive) that I wouldn't recommend.

You can call the DSU hotline for help with estimated costs for credit hours, or just search on their website. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2018, 11:40 AM

49 posts, read 102,517 times
Steven's Henager is a for profit school much like now defunct ITT, etc. When those schools started up, they were avenues for those seeking a non-traditional education experience in IT, computers, etc. People could come out and actually get a decent paying job. What they have become is diploma mills where you can easily spend $25,000+ to get a medical assistant/CNA certificate.

These schools tend to prey on people who don't have much exposure to college, maybe struggled in school, don't know much about loans, etc. They give slick presentations including showing a sheet giving the earnings of the whatever graduate they can find now earning the most money (they don't mention that they are allowed to include anyone remotely "using their degree" or that there are outliers who already made a good income before the school but just needed to jump through some hoops for paper in order to get their next promotion at work).

They cater to a student base that generally doesn't really know what school should cost and is more focused on "as long as I can get loans cause I'll make good money when I graduate." They get the students those loans (on top of taking all their pell grants which would have covered an entire degree at a community college), the loans are generally from a company the school has a relationship with. Then you end up with someone who is over $100,000 in debt, majority of it at 20% interest, loans they can't bankrupt out of because ya know "education" and all they have is a criminal justice degree they thought would get them working like CSI but actually only got them working security at Target. Their loan payment is in excess of $1500 a month and they earn $15 or less an hour. It's basically like loan sharking or check lending for education.

I'm sure there are cases of students who made something of a for profit degree, but generally, those are the students who already were well in the workforce and just needed it for the next step - like the UoP Masters after they already had their teaching Bachelor's. For the most part, those schools are a total racket and prey on people who don't know.

Old 07-06-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lraien View Post
Steven's Henager is a for profit school much like now defunct ITT, etc. When those schools started up, they were avenues for those seeking a non-traditional education experience in IT, computers, etc. People could come out and actually get a decent paying job. What they have become is diploma mills where you can easily spend $25,000+ to get a medical assistant/CNA certificate.

These schools tend to prey on people who don't have much exposure to college, maybe struggled in school, don't know much about loans, etc. They give slick presentations including showing a sheet giving the earnings of the whatever graduate they can find now earning the most money (they don't mention that they are allowed to include anyone remotely "using their degree" or that there are outliers who already made a good income before the school but just needed to jump through some hoops for paper in order to get their next promotion at work).

They cater to a student base that generally doesn't really know what school should cost and is more focused on "as long as I can get loans cause I'll make good money when I graduate." They get the students those loans (on top of taking all their pell grants which would have covered an entire degree at a community college), the loans are generally from a company the school has a relationship with. Then you end up with someone who is over $100,000 in debt, majority of it at 20% interest, loans they can't bankrupt out of because ya know "education" and all they have is a criminal justice degree they thought would get them working like CSI but actually only got them working security at Target. Their loan payment is in excess of $1500 a month and they earn $15 or less an hour. It's basically like loan sharking or check lending for education.

I'm sure there are cases of students who made something of a for profit degree, but generally, those are the students who already were well in the workforce and just needed it for the next step - like the UoP Masters after they already had their teaching Bachelor's. For the most part, those schools are a total racket and prey on people who don't know.
Good to know. I’d never enroll in a for profit school. And Yes our local community college is about $120 per credit hour so under $10,000 for two years for tuition fees books etc, and will transfer to 4 year universities. Not bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
View detailed profiles of: