Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2018, 06:50 PM

390 posts, read 756,334 times

Advertisements

Remember the 30th marks the date that Utah has the lowest DUI rate in the U.S....05 to be considered drunk (U.S other states are .08). Thanks for decreasing tourism and making it more and more a state NOT to visit if ya want a drink with dinner! And don't tell me how it helps decrease drunk drivers, it doesn't and statistics say it isn't the issue. And keep in mind there is "intoxication" laws....ya may not be driving...just a few drinks and you will be arrested...watch the booking for intoxications in St. George.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 09:09 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,484,109 times
That's because Utah is run by the Good Ol' Boys! Ain't that peachy.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:20 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times
Nobody ever said you can not have a few drinks.
If you think different then show me the wording where it says that!

All the law, and therefore the people of Utah, want is that you do not drive when your alcohol level is above a certain level.

How difficult is that to understand?

""And don't tell me how it helps decrease drunk drivers,""
No, it does not, but it may help stop the increase of drunk driver accidents ...

Old 12-28-2018, 08:13 AM

390 posts, read 756,334 times
The people of Utah?????? We (I live here) voted for medical MJ and the good ole boys are now trying to both overturn or make it so difficult that people who need it can not obtain. The "people of Utah" want control not by a few that make laws up.... and voting will eventually change all this I hope.

No it does not stop drunk driver accidents.....most of them are caused by someone with a 2.0 or above.

Old 12-28-2018, 08:04 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoliver View Post
No it does not stop drunk driver accidents.....most of them are caused by someone with a 2.0 or above.
Good guess, close but no cigar.
The level is 0.17% or higher and that is bloody drunk!

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...ving_in_UT.pdf
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/12/...gislators-say/
https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebras...d93991e39.html

I spoke to a law officer and asked him what they are going to do with the new law.
The answer was that if they see the driver drive erratically or hugging the divider lines they will pull him or her over ...
My answer to him was that they then have to arrest half of the drivers in Utah ...

Last but not least, the .05 limit is NOT a Utah thing, they adopted a proposed limit suggested by some Government entity ...
""Federal authorities have long pushed for tougher drunk-driving laws than the .08 standard. The National Transportation Safety Board argued in 2013 for dropping that figure to .05, saying that research showed drivers above that level "are impaired and at a significantly greater risk of being involved in a crash where someone is killed or injured.""

Last edited by irman; 12-28-2018 at 08:21 PM..

Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,229,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
That's because Utah is run by the Good Ol' Boys! Ain't that peachy.
Good ol' boys of a certain religious persuasion that looks down on alcohol consumption. Makes it easier to lead the nation on the toughness of the alcohol safety laws. If, however, safety were the prime consideration it is taunted to be and not a fig leaf - the penalties for the cell phone use while driving would a lot more stringent. That's why I am about ready to puke when someone quotes the safety improvements from the law. I wonder if those quoting the safety statistics can also look up the safety statistics and impact of the cell phone usage to see which is the biggest target area for impact is.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:25 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,105,287 times
I remember the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic coverage. There was much on-line chatter by Utahns about making "booze" available for outsiders (meaning, normal Olympic ticket holders.) So much use of the word "booze." So silly.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:35 PM

317 posts, read 652,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I remember the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympic coverage. There was much on-line chatter by Utahns about making "booze" available for outsiders (meaning, normal Olympic ticket holders.) So much use of the word "booze." So silly.
It has changed a lot over the last fifteen years, though. Here in Cedar City and in nearby Washington County, the tiny inadequate crumbling little liquor stores have been replaced with nice newer ones with much more selection.

At one point, Washington County had one 900 square foot store to serve all the restaurants in surrounding areas as well as the whole population. From what I understand, it got so bad that restaurants had to send staff to be there at delivery time to make sure they got their orders and they weren't sold out from under them, or they had to trek 3 hours north to get to other stores. I guess the state figured out that the iniquitous sinners were just heading to nearby Nevada and Utah was losing lots of heathen tax money.

Now, Cedar City has a winery with tasting room and a new brewery. That would have been unthinkable 15 years ago. There seems to be at least a little increase in the understanding that having a glass of wine with dinner does not automatically make one a raging drunk wino attacking people and living under a bridge somewhere, although once in awhile you will still run into a sanctimonious jerk who will snark at one along those general lines.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:16 PM

2,909 posts, read 2,151,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post

LOL, the tribune still uses that word a fair amount in some of their stories about liquor sales, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George