Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,647 times

Advertisements

I lived in St George for almost 3 years (as a non-mormon). I loved the hot, dry summers, and the mild winters- Just enough of a dusting of snow that it looks pretty, but not enough to have to drive in it or shovel it. There were tons of sports and recreation groups year round for both kids and adults. Zion National Park is only an hour away, Las Vegas is 2 hours. There were some bars and such, but not a lot of party scenes other than in people's backyards. It is not difficult to find a good drink, though. There is very little crime, and overall, very friendly people. I was Anglican when I lived there, and I made lots of wonderful friends from many different religions. I had no problems feeling left out or being pressured into attending whatever church. If you look for the good, you will find it. If you look for the bad, you will find it. That's how it is in most cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,675,750 times
The Mormons rule Saint George with an iron fist. Their big white temple is a daily reminderr you are under their control. Flee while you can......

Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,148,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
The Mormons rule Saint George with an iron fist. Their big white temple is a daily reminderr you are under their control. Flee while you can......
Houses of worship can be very threatening to people who are easily intimidated by people whose beliefs are different from their own. But since the Mormons erected their temple long before you were ever born, they were obviously unable to ask for your approval to build it. Pity. But it is what it is.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,675,750 times
I'm not afraid of a religion not even 200 years old........sounds more like a spinoff of another religion just to be different. Pity your not part of a real religion. It is what it is

Old 04-14-2011, 03:14 PM

28,152 posts, read 30,148,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badhornet View Post
I'm not afraid of a religion not even 200 years old.
You sure could have fooled me. "Flee while you can"? Sounds like a desperate warning from an insecure person who can't deal with being in the minority.

Quote:
Pity your not part of a real religion. It is what it is
And who defines what a "real" religion is?

Old 12-03-2011, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,279 times
My wife and I want to move to St George and retire. I am hoping to fine a lot of friendly people, they might be as friendly as those in Oklahoma. Hell, the police don't even wave or smile at you. Your neighbors are so friendly you don't even know there names. When our neighbors moved in my wife and I took them over a plate of cookies, they still have my plate. Just maybe it is like this every place you go..wow.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:27 AM

102 posts, read 307,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bman2015 View Post
My wife and I want to move to St George and retire. I am hoping to fine a lot of friendly people, they might be as friendly as those in Oklahoma. Hell, the police don't even wave or smile at you. Your neighbors are so friendly you don't even know there names. When our neighbors moved in my wife and I took them over a plate of cookies, they still have my plate. Just maybe it is like this every place you go..wow.
St. George is a retirement community. Do you golf? If not, maybe think about taking it up-- you'll make friends no problem at all.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:07 AM

121 posts, read 293,244 times
Default St. George is a good place to retire

You'll love St. George! It's only two hours drive to Las Vegas if you need a major airport or shopping mall fix. I personally prefer Cedar City which is an hour north of St. George for the higher elevation and cooler summers. You will find lots of friendly people! We got a flat tire in a rural area just outside of Cedar City, Utah and every motorist stopped and offered assistance. (About ten different people). I was amazed! While Utah is predominately Mormon, there are many other denominations represented. I have never experienced any ill will from the Mormons, in fact, quite the contrary! When I went to a fourth of July parade last year in Cedar City, seeing all the large, happy families, smiling, well behaved children, courteous, friendly parents, grandparents, etc., it brought tears of joy to my eyes!

Old 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM

2 posts, read 14,580 times
My husband and I just moved here a few months ago and love it. We have lived in several states and this by far is the best. The people and the weather are perfect. Don't listen to Katjazzlover, that is old school. It is in the past, not now. Maybe that is the way it used to be, but everyone accepts one another for who they are. We are non mormon and have some mormon friends. They do not try to convert us in any way. This is a beautiful state. and fast growing. We were welcomed, and you will be too....

Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 PM

14,724 posts, read 33,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiMer View Post
If you look for the good, you will find it. If you look for the bad, you will find it.
For the most part, I agree with you. But do you look for the bad when you're minding your own business at Starbucks or the Barnes & Noble cafe and someone is casing the place for their multi-level marketing scheme?

Bottom line: some cities fit like a glove for some people, others like a mitt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George