Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George
 [Register]
St. George Washington County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 06:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,427 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are moving to St. George this summer and are looking to make friends with people who enjoy a good laugh, live music, barbecues by the pool with a cold beer or glass of wine, skiing, hiking, tennis, golf, art, etc.

As I understand it, it can be (but not neccessarily) difficult to network in St. George if one is non LDS, so I thought I put up this post to facilitate making new friends.

We dont have children at home and would like to meet up with ppl who share similar interests to ours. We used to be in the music business in London and I'm a musician when I'm not working at my day job (I'm also looking for a ski buddy to hit the pistes at Brian Head in the winter as my husband doesnt ski and possibly a hiking buddy who isnt' afraid of Angels Landing ).

We are open minded people who are in good standing in our community in London. We dont descriminate based on people's heritage, religion, sexual orientation or choices in music!! We do enjoy dinner parties and a good bottle of wine though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 02:28 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,063,876 times
You say that you do not discriminate based on "people's religion" but in a sense, aren't you being a bit discriminatory by assuming that no LDS would "enjoy dinner parties, a good laugh, live music, barbecues by the pool, skiing, hiking, tennis, golf, art, etc." with you?

I'm not LDS but I have friends who are and not all LDS only socialize with other LDS exclusively. I have had a good laugh, enjoyed live music, skied, hiked, golfed, and even had barbecues with folks who are LDS. Sure, they may not have a beer or a bottle of wine but with me, that doesn't really matter as we had a lot of fun regardless.

I guess my point is that, sure, a lot of LDS may only socialize with other LDS but not all only associate with one another. In my opinion, by ruling out having fun or establishing good friendships with LDS could be a mistake.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 AM

36,668 posts, read 67,629,328 times
Aside from the drinking, based on your criteria, there's really no reason to exclude LDS people from your circle of potential friends.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:52 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
And I know some LDS folks who would sit by your side while you had the wine/beer and talk. Go to www.meetup.com and put in your soon-to-be zip code. You will see a variety of groups that meet regularly. You can scout the groups for like-minded people to befriend. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2010, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,427 times
Default cheers

Thanks SouthernBelle... I will check out that social networking sight.
best!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:51 AM

911 posts, read 2,159,010 times
There's a good chance that we'll be moving to the area in September or October...

We're both 30ish, we do have kids, but enjoy a drink now and then. my husband snowboards and is a musician. He's toured Europe with a percussion group and played at the Montreux Jazz Festival :-D We love to hike and camp, cycle, travel, etc

Good luck with your move! You'll have to give us a heads-up the St George experience when you get there :-)

Old 03-31-2010, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,065 times
I am a single, professional, non-Mormon that just moved here in January and haven't been having too hard of a time so far.... People seem conscious about the perception that it's difficult to make friends here and try to make sure you feel welcome. It does take some getting used to, though. The first BBQ I was invited to, I took a case of beer with me because that's what we did back home. I was politely informed at the door that they were LDS and no alcohol allowed in the house. Definitely a little awkward!! Now I just make sure to ask ahead of time....

I definitely enjoy all the outdoor activities that St. George has to offer and would really like to meet some more people. Look me up when you get here if you like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > St. George