Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times

Advertisements

I drive as it's the most convenient. There's always a little bit of traffic near Midway exit but otherwise a straight shot to Lakeshore via 55. Tack on a few minutes to twenty depending on where you live from there.

Amtrak is a roll of the dice. One time years ago, after a 9 hour Amtrak ride, I made it my last.
Flying Southwest to Midway would be my first non-driving choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2010, 11:40 PM

37 posts, read 100,000 times
I concur that driving is the most convenient option. Unfortunately, I don't have a car (college student) and a 6 to 9 hr train ride does not sound appealing. I can deal with a 4hr ride, but for the time being, I will probably fly if I have to go to Chicago.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,177 times
I can't argue with flying but I would like to point out a few things about taking the train.

- convenient arrival in Downtown Chicago Loop.
- Easy parking in DT St. Louis
- No security lines
- bags ride free
- Bigger seats than plane
- Bar Car
- You can bring your own food/beverage/beer cooler

Old 07-21-2010, 09:45 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
I think the Midwestern Network has a very promising future. I think MO & IL govts should have found private investors and pushed for a true high Speed Rail line and not an Intercity line. But i think this line will do well , i think its one of the few lines outside the NE that Amtrak doesn't need a subsided for.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:28 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WUSTL '14 View Post
I concur that driving is the most convenient option. Unfortunately, I don't have a car (college student) and a 6 to 9 hr train ride does not sound appealing. I can deal with a 4hr ride, but for the time being, I will probably fly if I have to go to Chicago.
Catch a ride with a fellow student and pitch in for gas money.
Rent a car with a group.
Take the Megabus.
Take the train. The problem as previously mentioned is that Amtrak doesn't get first dibs to the tracks and the frequent stops to wait for something to get out of the way add up. If that ever improves where the trip is 4hrs or less, then train is the way to go...but not until that happens. It isn't the same as that 90 minute Amtrak from Milwaukee to Chicago downtown to downtown door to door(with stops included). Although at least the area to pick up the train is no longer a shady parking lot mobile home type set up in Stl. That just happened within the past year plus or so.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:12 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I think the Midwestern Network has a very promising future. I think MO & IL govts should have found private investors and pushed for a true high Speed Rail line and not an Intercity line. But i think this line will do well , i think its one of the few lines outside the NE that Amtrak doesn't need a subsided for.
The key to success is going to be what the average speed for the trains will be. My guess is anything under 150mph is not going to work out since it has to be faster than driving to have a shot of being effective. When some of the reports were talking about a range of 100-120mph top speed and calling it high speed rail that is a lie. If that is all they can do it makes it hard to justify doing anything since it will sour any public desire for any future upgrades.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,856,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The key to success is going to be what the average speed for the trains will be. My guess is anything under 150mph is not going to work out since it has to be faster than driving to have a shot of being effective. When some of the reports were talking about a range of 100-120mph top speed and calling it high speed rail that is a lie. If that is all they can do it makes it hard to justify doing anything since it will sour any public desire for any future upgrades.
Yea i know , the Govt thinks were all stupid about this ......but the truth is China keeps showing off there HSR and makes our govt look stupid.......I think 140+ is ok , there are diesel trains that can do that. They have them in Britain and Germany. 80-120mph can be done with distances like Chicago to Madison or Milwaukee anything greater then that needs to be 170+. I think the Govt needs to really push for a line between Chicago and NYC via Philly. That can be a showcase to the Nation on HSR , since it would undoubtedly be used to 100% capacity in a few months. The Govt also needs to push for more Private - Public type HSL's , this Chicago - St. Louis line could have been built to 220mph with Private money and operated by the govt , it works for some projects in Europe and Asia. If they did that i think the Midwest can build there dream HSR network. But it all comes back to averages , 110mph means an average of 70-80mph. Such a waste , even the Acela can't even average above 110mph for the Majority of its trip. Although that will be an Average of 160mph by the end of the decade......to be fair the Northeast states recognizes 120mph with Electrified lines as HSR , and i think Britain recognizes 130 for HSR. But still why does every region outside the Northeast call HSR 110mph?

Old 07-21-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,530 times
Speaking as a college student: Never fly if the drive is under 6 hours. It's super expensive, such a nerve-trasher, there's a good chance you'll get delayed and miss class (happens all the time to people around Thxgiving, for example) and there's something special about being able to pull of on the side of the road and eat.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you're entering your first year at WashU, and add that you'll probably be able to find someone going to Chicago nearly every weekend. And, also, the train ride really is worth it for a few hundred dollars less. Remember--sleeping on the train is always easy. Sleeping on a flight is not. Also, you can totally take substances onto the train with you, which is great.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM

37 posts, read 100,000 times
^
Thx for the advice. It's a shame that underclassmen aren't allowed to have cars on campus. You're right: I shouldn't have any problems finding Chicago-bound upperclassmen anyway.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Yea i know , the Govt thinks were all stupid about this ......but the truth is China keeps showing off there HSR and makes our govt look stupid.......I think 140+ is ok , there are diesel trains that can do that. They have them in Britain and Germany. 80-120mph can be done with distances like Chicago to Madison or Milwaukee anything greater then that needs to be 170+. I think the Govt needs to really push for a line between Chicago and NYC via Philly. That can be a showcase to the Nation on HSR , since it would undoubtedly be used to 100% capacity in a few months. The Govt also needs to push for more Private - Public type HSL's , this Chicago - St. Louis line could have been built to 220mph with Private money and operated by the govt , it works for some projects in Europe and Asia. If they did that i think the Midwest can build there dream HSR network. But it all comes back to averages , 110mph means an average of 70-80mph. Such a waste , even the Acela can't even average above 110mph for the Majority of its trip. Although that will be an Average of 160mph by the end of the decade......to be fair the Northeast states recognizes 120mph with Electrified lines as HSR , and i think Britain recognizes 130 for HSR. But still why does every region outside the Northeast call HSR 110mph?
Also if they go to slow for long distances it won't get much more travel than current and it might kill any future upgrades since the public will be turned off on rail travel since it is done in an incompetant way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagisterEquitum View Post
Speaking as a college student: Never fly if the drive is under 6 hours. It's super expensive, such a nerve-trasher, there's a good chance you'll get delayed and miss class (happens all the time to people around Thxgiving, for example) and there's something special about being able to pull of on the side of the road and eat.

I'm going to go ahead and assume you're entering your first year at WashU, and add that you'll probably be able to find someone going to Chicago nearly every weekend. And, also, the train ride really is worth it for a few hundred dollars less. Remember--sleeping on the train is always easy. Sleeping on a flight is not. Also, you can totally take substances onto the train with you, which is great.
Generally it is cheaper and quite possibly faster to get from point a to point b by driving rather than flying if you are going up to around 300-400 miles away. It also depends on what directions you are from the airport in either place that can make it further. And places as far as 9-10 hours away might not take much longer driving than flying and is possibly only cheaper if you are going alone. A good example is that it isn't much longer timewise to drive to Atlanta from St. Louis than flying there considering all of the hassles of air travel. This is really true if you aren't passing by the airport out of St. Louis and/or going to spots on the North side of the Atlanta area due to the location of the airport South of the city. (and most travel there would be to the North side due to development)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis