Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2010, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,261 times

Advertisements

I live in Colorado and my company is going to send me to do some special work in the STL area for two years. It is also an opportunity to move up in career as well. The office is near the the IL/MO border on the MO side.

I plan on living on the MO side for 6 months and then the IL for a different 6 months. I also get about 4 weeks of vacation time. I want to be able to maintain the Colorado ties while gone for two years. This includes keeping my house and vote in CO and rent while in the STL area.

Now the questions:

I know there is a 183 day rule on residency/domicile. I plan on being in MO and IL for less than 183 days each and when on vacation which is 28 days, I will be gone from the area and both states. I also plan on going back to Colorado once per month - fly out on Thu and return on Sunday.

1. Would I be able to stay with non-resident income taxes to MO/IL or just to MO ?

2. I plan on keeping my driver license (DL) and tags with Colorado. Could I have some problems with law enforcement on not having IL or MO tags and DL ?

3. Could I have problems with MO law enforcement if I am living on the IL side but don't have IL DL and tags ?

4. Being in MO for less than 6 months, could I be given problems for not having MO DL and tags ?

Overall, the main question is vehicle tags and DL. I wonder if I could keep the CO DL and tags while gone for two years ? And if a MO or IL law enforcement wants to give me a hard time, what could I get cited for ? And if cited, could I be forced by the court to switch the DL and tags to either IL or MO ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,554 times
I would call St. Louis City Hall.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,032 times
In terms of the tax question:

If you meet the definition below, you are a resident in Missouri. If not, you are a non-resident.
RESIDENT
A resident is an individual who either 1) maintained
a domicile in Missouri or 2) did not
maintain a domicile in Missouri but did have
permanent living quarters and spent more
than 183 days of the taxable year in Missouri.

Exception: An individual domiciled in Missouri
who did not maintain permanent
living quarters in Missouri and did maintain
permanent living quarters elsewhere, and
spent 30 days or less of the taxable year in
Missouri is not a resident.

Domicile: The place an individual intends
to be his/her permanent home; a place that
he/she intends to return to whenever
absent. A domicile, once established, continues
until the individual moves to a new
location with the true intention of making
his/her permanent home there. An individual
can have only one domicile at a time.

In Illinois:
You are an Illinois resident if you were domiciled in Illinois for the entire tax year. Your domicile is the place where you reside and the place where you intend to return after temporary absences. Temporary absences may include duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, residence in a foreign country, out-of-state residence as a student, or out-of-state residence during the winter or summer.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:04 PM

104 posts, read 412,041 times
Best to drop an e-mail to Missouri Department of Revenue on taxes and licensing and for Illinois, the Illinois Secretary of State.

Something to add that would be beneficial to the original person who posted but not mentioned by him. The thing to consider are suburban cops on both sides of the river by STL don't have much to do, therefore traffic enforcement is at the top of their list. Does anyone have anything to offer on how picky they can get on out of state licenses ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis