Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 07:51 AM

20 posts, read 62,328 times

Advertisements

My family & I are considering relocating to St Louis and have our eye on these two locations. Kirkwood/WG due to the access to high quality free education (we have two young girls, not yet school age) and Tower Grove area due to the amazing architecture of homes and city living. Can anyone provide me in the pros/cons of these two areas? Specifically in terms of access to education, area activities, and overall feel/safety of the areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 09:03 AM

203 posts, read 271,309 times
Kirkwood/Webster

Pros--Relatively close to downtown, each has its own central business district, strong sense of community, good schools, close to shopping, charming housing stock, stable

Cons--not many, they're two of most desired places to live in the region. Not much diversity, Kirkwood's streets seem to be oddly bad in some areas, and some areas of Kirkwood do not have sidewalks for some reason.

Tower Grove

Pros--great houses, proximity to bars and restaurants, great park, great farmer's market at the park, proximity to downtown, central west end, and Grand (the street), the Hill, more diverse

Cons--shopping not as convenient, depending on what specific neighborhood you're talking about there can be some bad pockets, higher crime, earnings tax (a concern if you don't work in the city), city services are not that great, public schools are bad unless you win the charter lottery

Old 12-18-2014, 01:24 PM

1,478 posts, read 2,412,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hector2 View Post
Kirkwood/Webster

Pros--Relatively close to downtown, each has its own central business district, strong sense of community, good schools, close to shopping, charming housing stock, stable

Cons--not many, they're two of most desired places to live in the region. Not much diversity, Kirkwood's streets seem to be oddly bad in some areas, and some areas of Kirkwood do not have sidewalks for some reason.

Tower Grove

Pros--great houses, proximity to bars and restaurants, great park, great farmer's market at the park, proximity to downtown, central west end, and Grand (the street), the Hill, more diverse

Cons--shopping not as convenient, depending on what specific neighborhood you're talking about there can be some bad pockets, higher crime, earnings tax (a concern if you don't work in the city), city services are not that great, public schools are bad unless you win the charter lottery
I looked at Kirkwood/Webster before we settled around TGP in Shaw, and I agree a lot of what you've said. You might be underselling the Tower Grove area though.

-Shopping: I'm less than 2 miles from a grocery store (Schnucks) and have plenty of shopping options. I'm not a big box shopper, but on the occasion when I do go to these places, I can get to them in less than 20 minutes (any of Lemay, Kirkwood, or Galleria areas). I end up at one of these places every 2 months or so. If you want more one-off boutique style shops, there are many more around Tower Grove than in Kirkwood.

-City services. They're completely fine. My garbage gets taken out once a week. Streets are swept every other. Guys come by to prune trees. It's fine. I've got a really incredible park in Tower Grove. That's a pretty nice service to have.

-Schools. This is the tricky one and why we moved to Shaw. The good thing about Shaw is that you can hedge your bets a bit better than other areas of the city. We have Kennard and Mallinckrodt gifted schools which would stack up with any elementary schools in the region. Those are both lottery+require a test. We're in the catchment area for CityGarden Montessori, which is also lottery. Finally, we've got St. Margaret's. Between those 4 choices, there is a good chance of a kid with involved parents hitting at least one of those (only one of which requires tuition).

Old 12-18-2014, 02:50 PM

11 posts, read 13,366 times
Just want to throw out there another city gem that is probably an upcoming neighborhood with neat architecture.

Clifton Heights (Hampton & I-44)
People call it a mini-Webster Groves/Kirkwood area in the city. (Simpson, Clifton, Elizabeth and a few other streets have some beautiful old houses with a charming atmosphere located yet located a stones through from busy Hampton Ave and easy highway access as well as Forest Park

63139 is a zip code that is granted charter access to Gateway Science Academy elementary and high school Gateway Science Academies - Concept Schools located at Epiphany of Our Lord (Flyer & Smiley). My children do not attend there but heard nonly praise of the school.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:24 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,781 times
I like Kirkwood, but those city neighborhoods look really cool. I would definitely consider the city if you're down with the urban style and are okay with navigating the more complex school environment.

Old 12-18-2014, 05:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,321 times
I really like both areas and looked at houses in both. For me, budget & housing expectations were the biggest driver in deciding where to live. The public schools are excellent in Kirkwood, but in exchange, it's a LOT more expensive.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:43 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,963,320 times
The only reason I would choose Kirkwood or Webster Groves is for the Schools and Target.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:08 PM

6 posts, read 7,512 times
I grew up in Kirkwood, lived in the city for several years, and moved back for the schools when I had kids. I do miss the city architecture a lot. But Kirkwood is a wonderfully easy place to live with kids--great schools with no hassle, and close to all kinds of shopping. I also like that crime just does not feel like an issue at all.

One note: Kirkwood is a fairly large area, and the architecture and feel vary. If you are close to downtown, you may be able to walk to the library, farmer's market, and coffee shops as easily as many city dwellers; if you're in other parts, it might feel more like deep suburbia.

Last edited by Jessica765; 12-22-2014 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-22-2014, 01:19 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,687,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica765 View Post
One note: Kirkwood is a fairly large area, and the architecture and feel vary. If you are close to downtown, you may be able to walk to the library, farmer's market, and coffee shops as easily as many city dwellers; if you're in other parts, it might feel more like deep suburbia.
This is true. I had no idea that there are basically subdivisions on golf courses in Kirkwood until I started looking for a house there!

Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM

589 posts, read 1,106,918 times
There is a variety of shopping not far from Tower Grove / Shaw on Chippewa at both Kingshighway and Hampton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis