Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 PM

13 posts, read 27,103 times

Advertisements

So as I ready for the move from Dallas I am contemplating a new car as well. I wanted to know what everyone in St. Louis drives. Coming from Central New York everyone had Audis, Subarus, Toyotas, which make sense because of the climate. Living in Dallas now it seems as though everyone has an Infiniti, BMW, Lexus SUV (girls), and Range Rovers. I am leaning towards a Range Rover Sport but EVERYONE in Dallas has one so I have held off.

1.) What car do you see too much of in St. Louis?

2.) How bad does it get during the winter? Is a Cayman or CLS 550 out of the question?

3.) What car would you get? (excluding cars such as Bentlys, Maseratis, Bugattis, Ferraris, etc....we can only dream right!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,032 times
Is this for real? Everyone drives luxury cars in TX, huh? Maybe I don't pay enough attention, but nothing stands out to me as a car that 'everyone' has in St Louis. I'd say there are certain areas where people are more likely to drive trucks perhaps, and wealthier areas = more luxury cars, but nothing stands out at all. I don't see Range Rovers too often, but I think that has to do with a general trend in gas prices. We get enough snow where I wouldn't get a rear wheel drive car--I really enjoy watching guys trying to turn corners in those. If you're gonna spend a ton of money on a luxury car, spend just a bit more for AWD.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:10 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,279,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver32 View Post
So as I ready for the move from Dallas I am contemplating a new car as well. I wanted to know what everyone in St. Louis drives. Coming from Central New York everyone had Audis, Subarus, Toyotas, which make sense because of the climate. Living in Dallas now it seems as though everyone has an Infiniti, BMW, Lexus SUV (girls), and Range Rovers. I am leaning towards a Range Rover Sport but EVERYONE in Dallas has one so I have held off.

1.) What car do you see too much of in St. Louis?

2.) How bad does it get during the winter? Is a Cayman or CLS 550 out of the question?

3.) What car would you get? (excluding cars such as Bentlys, Maseratis, Bugattis, Ferraris, etc....we can only dream right!!)
What climate is more suitable for Audi's, Subaru's and Toyota's?

Old 08-31-2011, 05:51 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,020,795 times
my guess is he was referencing the AWD options present on some of those vehicles...particularly the Audi Quatro and Subaru AWD...Toyota, not sure why that's in the mix.

St. Louis folks tend to drive a bit of everything...nothing seems overly common. I probably see more BMW's and Mercedes than i do Audi's. I think you'd be fine with a RWD vehicle if you actually no how to drive and invest in a set of winter rubber that you swap out before the first snowfall and take back off by the spring thaw...might even get a few seasons out of them.

It sounds more like you're wanting a car as a status symbol and not necessarily for the joy of driving. If that's the case, just buy the most expensive thing you can afford and like. Range Rover would be fine, it'd stand out (I guess), and you'll be plenty happy not driving the same car as everyone else. If you were really planning on buying a car because you enjoy automobiles, mechanical engineering, or purist driving experiences then I highly doubt you'd have posted this thread and asked anything in the first place.

Also, it'll make differences on where you're going to live in St. Louis, type of parking you have access to, and how far yoru commute is to work. I've got a friend who drives a Hyundai Genesis Coupe with Summer High Performance tires, and while the tires absolutetly suck during the winter...his short 3 mile commute to work on essentially level, city streets really doesn't bother him that much.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:16 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,889,029 times
I really don't think you could stereotype the typical kind of car people drive in the St. Louis area. I do think there's a midwestern practicality that lends itself to most people driving "practical" cars like mid-level Toyotas, Fords, Nissans, etc. As gas prices have risen I've also definitely noticed less SUV's and more hybrids, which probably is just a reflection of national trends.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:00 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,599,554 times
The first think you'll notices is that you won't see nearly as many trucks in St. Louis area compared to Texas. Also, in general, St. Louis people are not as flashy what I found in Dallas.

The rest is up to you.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
I definitely don't see a heckuva lot of Range Rovers in St. Louis. If you live in the city you're probably more likely to see a ton of smaller cars -- Toyota Matrixes (Matrices? haha), little Honda CR-Vs -- stuff you can easily park on the street and in small garages.

I don't think you'd look out of place with a Range Rover or really anything in the area though. I agree with Billiken that I wouldn't suggest getting a rear-wheel drive in this climate. Flynavy is right about his suggestions for how to make it work, but I don't think they're really worth it here unless you're just in love with a particular car.

Did you decide on a place to live? The Laurel? (I still want Pi ...)

Old 08-31-2011, 09:01 AM

Drive what you want. Not what others are driving. We do get some snow here, but in my opinion it's not enough to justify buying an all wheel drive or an extra set of all season tires. Especiall if you work downtown and can walk to work.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:30 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,012,512 times
Most cars in the St.Louis Area seem to be 5 year old, American made sedans and pick up trucks.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:37 AM

In my part of town you NEVER see pickups unless they are work trucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis