Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:51 PM

26 posts, read 105,523 times

Advertisements

Anyone want to pipe in???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 04:25 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Well,,, more info would help too.

Ages, interests, number of critters?
Desire nearby paths for walking, bike riding, etc?
Best for,,, schools, shopping, recreation, after school activities?
Desire to be closer to place(s) of employment, shopping, schools, etc.?

Old 07-26-2007, 03:29 PM

8 posts, read 25,878 times
I'll provide more info, as we're interested in the same thing!

We have a 17 month old son so want good schools. We like to hike and bike so parks are a plus. We want a safe area where there are lots of kids.. A walking community would be ideal if such a thing exists anywhere anymore!

My husband works in IT and has an opportunity to work for a hospital in St.Louis so we're exploring it as an option.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2007, 03:52 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,059,299 times
Greetings there nsmom

How far [time wise] does/would your husband like to commute?
Would you like to be able to hike/bike right from your own neighborhood, or traveling a short/med distance to such?
Prefer older or newer home?
Subdivision or a town-type area?
What general area is the hospital located?

Thing is, there are many great areas w/in the StL metro area, but to help narrow down recommendations, your personal prefs make it more of what you and yours would be happier with. For example, Eureka vs. St Charles vs. Alton vs. University City vs. etc etc... all have their pros/cons, but how heavy the pros weigh against the cons depend on your lifestyle and desires. If that makes sense...

Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 PM

275 posts, read 1,124,928 times
Hi NSMOM! Don't forget to look at the Illinois side! Edwardsville and Glen Carbon are both in the Edwardsville School District (ECUSD7). They are great towns for families. I moved here a little over 4 years ago and love it! We can be to downtown St. Louis is 25 minutes. Our housing prices tend to be a little lower than some of the desirable St. Louis areas. Our taxes are higher, but I see it as a tradeoff to private-school tuition. I think in the end, it all ends up being about the same. Be sure to google Edwardsville and see what you think! If you have anymore questions, drop me a PM or post. Good Luck! You can't go wrong on either side of the river - St. Louis is a great town with great people!

Old 07-29-2007, 11:09 PM

2 posts, read 10,097 times
Don't look in St. Charles County. Serious the school districts are a joke. I am in the process of trying to move before my 3 yr old reaches school age.

For one they go year round. Which is annoying because they are on for about 9 weeks or so off 3 weeks ALL YEAR!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:20 AM

285 posts, read 1,068,214 times
^^ Wow I've never heard of a school like that. Kinda crazy

Old 08-05-2007, 07:45 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
I don't believe ALL schools in St. Charles County are year round, just Francis Howell. Fort Zumwalt and St. Charles schools follow the traditional Sept-June calandar (or they did when I lived in MO anyway...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Mommy2Two View Post
Don't look in St. Charles County. Serious the school districts are a joke. I am in the process of trying to move before my 3 yr old reaches school age.

For one they go year round. Which is annoying because they are on for about 9 weeks or so off 3 weeks ALL YEAR!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:24 PM

270 posts, read 656,193 times
I don't know about school districts except edwardsville sounds like a sure bet. Nice, friendly college town with low crime and stil close to most things (probably 30 miles or less outside most of the city).

I like Webster, Clayton, and most parts of West County. These are generaly family friendly but might be a little pricey for lower middle class families.

If you want "country" then South Co is the way to go, especially Arnold MO. I believe property isfairly inexpensive down that way as well as it is around Collinsville/Caseyville IL.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:43 PM

64 posts, read 193,389 times
Default actually - its not too bad I hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest_Mommy2Two View Post

I have several friends who live in st. charles & they love this system. They have flexibility in planning vacations - they can avoid seasonal rushes - kids love it because they are on vacation every few weeks. Many of my co-workers can take their families on business trips throughoutthe year becaus eof this flexibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis