Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM

318 posts, read 870,714 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating college this December and will, hopefully, be moving into my first place sometime between Dec. 20th and Jan 1st.
  • I'm coming from out of state (CO)
  • I'll be 20 years old.
  • I'm interested in Plaza's $420 Studio apartments and Gallery's $450 efficiencies.
  • I'm a yearround full-time student and work 15-30 hours a week Aug-Dec, and 20-45 hours a week May-Aug. Jan-May each year, I study abroad. (this year, I'm using the savings to get my 1st apartment)
  • I make $7.75/hour, or $450-1300/month. I average around $600/month during the fall and $850 during the summer. (upon moving to STL, my hours will obviously have to increase--hopefully my wage will too, but I'm not counting on that )
  • I'll have 2.5 years of work experience as an executive assistant at my college and FANTASTIC references (5) if they ask and check.
  • For the last 2.5 years (or since I've started college), I've lived at the same residence--my dorm--with the exception of when I've studied abroad during the spring each year. Technically, however, I have no rental history--I just live on campus and pay $250/mo during the summer and $400-500/mo during the fall.
  • My credit score is 685. There's nothing on my credit report other than the fact that I have $5k in student loans and Geico checked my credit score. 685 isn't horrible, but look at what it's based off of.
  • I've never been arrested or convicted of any crime. No bankruptcies, no CC debt, no late payments, no evictions, nada in that department.
  • No matter what they ask for the deposit or how many months rent they want me to pay in advance (up to 6, anyway), I'll have the cash available. Anytime.
  • I have 2 bank accounts. I've had 3 since turning 18--got rid of one because it was a joint account and I didn't want the liability, but I stayed at the same bank and set up an individual account the same day. Now defunct account (May 09-July 10) saw ~$8k in deposits, 1 overdraft of less than $5. Current account with them (July 10-present) has seen around $7k with no overdrafts. The other bank account (Aug 09-present) has seen ~$11k in deposits, no overdrafts.

NOTE: I'm not sure whether or not I'll have a cosigner. If I do, there's only one person in my family who will do it (and who doesn't have worse credit than me, for that matter) and her credit score is ~720 and she makes ~$35k a year. My grandmother. Am I f*ked if I don't have a cosigner at Gallery? At Plaza?

Do I have a shot at either one? I'm assuming Gallery is a stretch, and it's my second choice as is (YES, I have been to Plaza Square--I toured it [gave some guy $20 to give me his honest opinion and let me check out his studio], spent the afternoon in the nearby memorial park talking to residents and homeless people, and snuck inside a building at night--and understand just how ghetto it is LOL). I'd love to be able to live downtown in my budget, and at this early phase in my research, these two places are sticking out as possibilities.

Do I have a shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 08:02 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
So, you're graduating in December and planning to move here -- what kind of work are you going to be looking to do? They won't really care what you were making before; they'll care what you're making presently. My first apt post-college I had to show them my offer letter so I could lease.

Your credit score is fine -- better than most people's. Plaza Square is a Mills property, right? I had an OK renting experience with them in the past, and from I've heard from others they're not bad to rent from.

Where's the Gallery at?

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 AM

I'm open to anything, really, minus taking my clothes off. I'll have a liberal arts degree--sh* paper, basically, despite my great grades and what have you.

I currently work as an executive assistant, as I have the last 2.5 years, and would like to continue this line of work (secretarial). Minimum wage+, at least 30 hours a week whether from 1 position or more. That said, I'm open to anything but waitressing, bartending, and stripping. I also have lots of experience in telemarketing, fundraising, political campaign work, and professional news release writing and editing. I'm told by my professors that I have a fantastic resume, but I like to prepare for the worst.

Yes, Plaza Square is a Mills property. They just bought it for $5 million sometime in the last 2 or so years. The Gallery is located on Washington, 63108 zip code, Central West neighborhood.

Last edited by alamosakid; 06-06-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM

1,912 posts, read 4,690,848 times
I think your issue may be with your income level--when I was making student wages, I always needed a co-signer. I think the place I rented through required my monthly wages to be 3x rent.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:31 AM

Found the Gallery! That is the farthest possible end of CWE, and definitely a touch sketch.

Also don't be afraid to look for smaller buildings on CraigsList. A private landlord is often more willing to work with unique situations -- like getting paid up front or something. There are quite a few places in St. Louis where you could likely find a small, vintage apartment in your price range. It will take research to ensure the neighborhood is a good one, but hey, that's what we're here for.

It's way to early to find one of those places now, but you can look around and start getting an idea for prices.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
definitely a touch sketch.
Good! Despite the apartments being the *perfect* size, I worried if the residents would be rather uppity and above my caste. With the smoking hot reviews and pictures of BMWs and other nice cars in the parking lot, and with the tales of granite countertops and entryways, I wasn't too sure. Of course, I'd go back and check things out anyway, but I had a weird feeling about the place if that makes any sense.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Also don't be afraid to look for smaller buildings on CraigsList. A private landlord is often more willing to work with unique situations -- like getting paid up front or something. There are quite a few places in St. Louis where you could likely find a small, vintage apartment in your price range. It will take research to ensure the neighborhood is a good one, but hey, that's what we're here for.

It's way to early to find one of those places now, but you can look around and start getting an idea for prices.
Yes, of course. I've been checking out the craigslist ads for like the last 4 years, as Saint Louis has been on my radar since I was 15 and I even briefly debated going to college there.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:45 AM

^Awesome. Glad to hear you're almost ready to make the move you've been wanting to for so long!

Keep us updated on your progress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis