Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,405 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a 24 yr old male I have just accepted a full time job in Bridgeton, will be moving from NJ and have been trying to figure out some good places to live.. I'd like to spend about 750 with utilities

I am wandering if Maryland Heights is a good area to live in especially this spot [2050 Lakerun Ct Maryland Heights, MO 63043] (I would love to be close to that large lake)

I really liked the sound of PHEASANT RUN but after seeing some reviews from apartmentratings.com I became a bit nervous, I also noticed many other areas having bad reviews on this, so it could simply be a venting channel for the few bad cases most places will have..

Any information you could give me on the close-by towns or apartment complexes in the areas or any other living tips will be much appreciated.. I've considered hazelwood, st ann, bridgeton, and maryland heights so far

Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 10:02 PM

30 posts, read 54,285 times
Definitely take anything you read about apartment ratings on the internet with a grain of salt. I've lived in places that were supposedly infested with everything under the sun, but never saw evidence of any infestation. On the other hand, internet apartment ratings aren't always wrong. Regarding that place in Maryland Heights, I saw ratings from 1-star to 5-stars. I personally have no idea what that place is like on the inside. Maryland Heights is a fine middle-class American suburb. Nothing special about it and nothing wrong with it. Bridgeton, Hazelwood and St. Ann are generally fine places, but I'd be less comfortable renting an apartment without a close personal inspection in those areas. $750 with utilities should be doable in any of those areas.

As far as other cities, I'd say it depends on what you're looking for in an area and how far you're willing to commute. The areas you've looked are more family-oriented suburbs. If you're looking for lots of young singles, there are better choices.

Take a look at Craigslist. It's your friend.

But I will say this: Creve Coeur Park is a great place for a jog!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:50 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,020,795 times
My aunt lived in those apartments for a little while. They were ok for what they were, but reminded me much of a college apartment, little cleaner though. They were typically older units, with older appliances, etc. Nothing really struck me as being all that impressive about them, but I would turn and run either. She did have a wasp problem at one point, but it was taken care of by the staff pretty quickly.

There are also apartments down McKelvy/Bennington going south towards Hwy 364 that I would typically say are a tad better, West Point comes to mind, but i'm not 100% on price. The location of either will be great, giving you road access into bridgeton (it'd be just up McKelvy going North) unless you opted to take the highway (I-270). Food is close by, quick highway access, safe, and close to an amazing park which has some beautiful walking/biking trails which they're still expanding.

As to living in Bridgeton, St. Ann, or Hazelwood, it really just depends on the apartment complex. I'm willing to say that after the airport bought a sizable chunk of Bridgeton, most of the apartment complexes left are now nearest to the runway and the neighborhood that really helped balance out the area is now gone...as such, the apartments went from nice middle class housing, to "eh...dunno if i'd live there or not". St. Ann doesn't have that many "nice" apartment complexes, most of the area is safe working class, but some of the apartments are somewhat shady, the best of which is probably Cypress Village. Not to sure about apartments in Hazelwood, they're probably hit and i'll let someone else more knowledgable give you advice on them.

Regarding apartment ratings online, do what Richmond_Heights_Fella said and take them with a grain of salt. I've seen great apartment complexes with ZERO reviews, and mediocre apartment complexes with a million. A place my wife once lived in was considered aboslutetly "terrible" by numerous reviews, but we never saw a bug, had a problem with the staff, or felt unsafe while she lived there...but if you listened to the reviews, it was full of druggies, rodents, and insects...

Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 AM

Richmond_Heights_Fella thanks for your response, what other areas would be the better choices if looking for a younger single crowd? What are some travel times to brigeton, I'm 45 minutes from manhattan, and was just wandering how long it can take to get places.. I'm so greatful you are helping, thanks again!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:37 AM

flynavyj I was really hoping to hear from someone who lived there or new someone who had this is great thanks! I will definitely go to check them out, was that other apartment complex called The Pavillion by any chance?

Thanks for the info on those apartments near to the airport, because i had looked at a few (from the net)

Old 11-08-2011, 08:19 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,635,965 times
If it were me, at your age, I would focus on University City -- that commute would be right about 30 minutes and it's a fun, active area with more singles and more transplants. The closer to the Loop, the better: Visit The Loop

It'll be tight on your budget, but look around Craigslist and you should find a few options. If you don't mind a 45-minute commute, there'd be about a dozen fun neighborhoods we could point you to.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:31 PM

30 posts, read 54,285 times
I'm your age and I'm happy in Richmond Heights. It's more family-oriented than University City, but there are plenty of young professionals in the area. The only drawback is that there isn't much to do within walking distance. Clayton is sort of sandwiched between University City and Richmond Heights, and has plenty of younger people and some nice places to hang out. Central West End (in St. Louis) would be another place to check out. But just a heads up: Central West End and Clayton aren't cheap.

If you're willing to have roommates, you could probably find something in your price range in these areas. If you're opposed to the idea of roommates, you can probably rule out Central West End and Clayton. Central West End will probably another 10 minutes to your commute as well. Parts of downtown and southern St. Louis would fit the bill as well, but again, will add more time to your commute. Overall, I'll second the University City recommendation.

And really do check Craigslist. Many places don't advertise on "apartment finder" websites.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:37 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,020,795 times
Do you have a car, or will you be relying on public transport? It's not difficult to get from the city to Bridgeton with public transport, but your commute times will extend greatly.

Downtown to Bridgeton is a straight shot on I-70, and if you're working normal business hours it'll be against the flow of traffic, which is great. You'd be expecting about a 25 minute commute if you drive the speed limit, 20 minutes if you have an autobahn capable machine ...PS, don't speed through St. Ann by the airport...Double Fines, and normally 3-6 squad cars waiting to pull people over...ouch.

For a person in their lower 20's who was wanting an awesome nightlife and fun i'd recommend St. Louis City. Washington Ave has a ton of lofts, and hordes of young professionals. Soulard is also a pretty cool area, and with Craigslist you can find one bedroom apartments (typically old converted multifamily homes) within your price range. Both of those locations would place you close to bars, restaurants, sporting events, etc...As stated, you'd have a 20-25 minute commute to work, but it should be relatively pain free...less there's a cards game on your way home from work, then getting back into the city can be a royal pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis