Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 08:47 AM

32 posts, read 81,737 times

Advertisements

Hi- moving down to St. Louis and wondering how necessary it is to have four wheel drive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 08:51 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,182,388 times
Of course not. Why does everyone think that if you're not within 100 miles of the Gulf Coast you need 4 wheel drive? Winters are even harsher in Chicago and I get by just fine with my little FWD Toyota Yaris, even in the aftermath of last winters blizzard.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:01 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Only if you live out in the middle of nowhere on a gravel road or deep in snow country. Quite often, and AWD vehicle is certainly sufficient for many of those applications.

Old 12-18-2011, 01:11 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,744,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
Of course not. Why does everyone think that if you're not within 100 miles of the Gulf Coast you need 4 wheel drive? Winters are even harsher in Chicago and I get by just fine with my little FWD Toyota Yaris, even in the aftermath of last winters blizzard.
It's because in a thread when she was asking about West County, some posters said that you need 4-wheel drive in the winters out in Wildwood, which I think is true. I've even seen some pretty steep driveways close to the city, in the Ladue area. I don't think it's generally need there though. So it depends on the specific area you live in. And Chicago is as flat as it gets, so maybe that's why you didn't need it.

Last edited by Smtchll; 12-18-2011 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 04:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,001 times
Yeh, it depends more on where you live than the city itself. For the vast majority of St. Louis you can get by just fine with a standard front wheel drive car. If your current car is RWD (and you know how to drive) you'll be fine with a set of snow tires for your winter driving. All in all, i think 4WD can be overkill, unless you've got a wicked steep driveway, or live in the deep recesses of Wildwood. If you're relatively close to a major rd (Hwy 100, maybe even 109 in a couple spots) you might be ok...but check the terrain first.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:00 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,617,107 times
There's a couple of outer-ring suburbs and semi-rural areas where a four-wheel drive would likely prove worthwhile, but for most people it's likely just an expensive upsell from their Audi dealer :P

Old 12-19-2011, 10:18 AM

105 posts, read 309,461 times
Never needed 4wd, although the Firebird stays parked from the first snow until the salt is washed off the roads in the spring. (the bike is parked during that time too) My 2wd S-10 works fine with a few concrete blocks in the bed over the rear axle.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loki03xlh View Post
Never needed 4wd, although the Firebird stays parked from the first snow until the salt is washed off the roads in the spring. (the bike is parked during that time too) My 2wd S-10 works fine with a few concrete blocks in the bed over the rear axle.
LOL, I used to throw a few hundred pounds of sand bags in the back of my firebird during High School. Drove the car all winter long, then drove it yearly until I had graduated college. Only had to call in to work once when I deemed it unsafe for me to drive in, simple words were "Ummm, so I pulled out of the driveway, made it up the block, and can't get any further. I'm going back home, not risking my life to fly your plane, find someone else."...they were pretty understanding.

My firebird now sits in it's heated garage bay awaiting a restoration Really need to motivate myself to go out there and start taking parts off, and putting new ones on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis